Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 11:54 AM

3,394 posts, read 5,505,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
It pretty much feels that way especially when you leave the state.

Anyway, from the reaction from foreigners, I agree that California seems like the coolest place in the US to them. I think this has to do with the obvious things California is known for but it may also be that many recognize that politically, CA is a bit more like other places around the world and is quite different from the rest o the US.

Of course, New York City also carries a lot of weight to others around the world too. Like someone else said, it's really our true capital.
I didn't know California was a part of the USA until I was 14 or 15 or so. I don't know if it was actual specific misinformation or just ignorance. 15 year olds don't care about anything, so when you hear all these songs about California on the radio without any other mention of the USA, I guess the brain just fills in the blanks, so I always thought of it as an independent place for years. Haha.

I also thought it was considered tropical around the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 12:18 PM

16,581 posts, read 27,258,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I didn't know California was a part of the USA until I was 14 or 15 or so. I don't know if it was actual specific misinformation or just ignorance. 15 year olds don't care about anything, so when you hear all these songs about California on the radio without any other mention of the USA, I guess the brain just fills in the blanks, so I always thought of it as an independent place for years. Haha.

Interesting. I haven't heard quite this same thing but when I worked with young people from Europe (mostly Ireland and Germany) they would tell me that California has it's own image abroad distinct from the rest of the US.

And no, it's not tropical by any means. It's mild for sure but not tropical. It looks that way due to all the damn palm trees in many places. But those tend to be hardy species that can survive in cooler climates. Hell, even Vancouver and Seattle have a few palm trees. Very few if any species that grow in Florida or Hawaii can survive here. It's doesn't snow on our coast where the big cities are but it does get cold. Even in San Diego on some winter nights they tell you to bring in your pets and cover sensitive vegetation due to how cold it can get.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:18 PM

8,868 posts, read 8,343,718 times
Wyoming. Because of Brokeback Mountain, which I adore.
Or maybe Vermont, as it sounds super rich.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:24 PM

3,289 posts, read 3,764,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post

I think we(Californians) even have our own identity.

I didn't realize until recently that when I travel abroad and people ask me where I am from, I say California and not the US. Someone brought it to my attention and I never even realized that I was doing that. Lol

Old 12-06-2014, 01:29 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,937,075 times
New York City

Last edited by dorado0359; 12-06-2014 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: ...

Old 12-06-2014, 01:34 PM

4,481 posts, read 4,533,959 times
Texas, of course. There' s Texas, and then there's everywhere else.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:42 PM

26,636 posts, read 28,433,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I hope you're joking about Vermont, as it is super poor. Very beautiful, very rural, very poor.

I always thought the coolest place was California. That's where everything starts. But not so much anymore as hoards of people are leaving and saying they don't like it anymore.

So I'd say Oregon probably. That seems the coolest and a lot of CA people are moving there.

Old 12-06-2014, 02:33 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,349,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
I used to live in California. I was born in New York (upstate) and now live in HI (also spent some time in Maine... which is not so well known on the world scene). I'm going abroad in March (Canada-UK-Spain-Switzerland). I guess I'll have to try saying all 3 places and see which generates the most buzz... I'll report back with results
Where in Canada are you headed?

Old 12-06-2014, 02:37 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,349,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
It was set in Wyoming, but filmed in Canada. All those gorgeous mountain shots were in Alberta.

"Brokeback Mountain" Alberta Filming Locations

Old 12-06-2014, 03:17 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,597,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Where in Canada are you headed?
Toronto. Then on to Madrid and Alicante, Spain, Lucerne Switzerland, and London and Brighton UK. Used to live in London, going to visit some friends around Europe.

Then allllll the way back to Hawaii, a 30 hour trip or so. I'm going through 11 airports in three weeks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.