U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 05:44 AM

5,691 posts, read 8,758,435 times

Advertisements

I've found Europeans to be impressed I was from Tennessee. Americans not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 07:40 AM

5,286 posts, read 4,159,354 times
I don't know about cool, but I'd say Texas is the most fun place to be from. I love watching people tilt their heads in confusion as every stereotype in their brain explodes when they're meeting me for the first time.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:43 AM

338 posts, read 405,282 times
I don't think I've ever met a Hawaii native, so that is pretty neat. Never really thought about being from there I guess.

I am from Western Massachusetts which isn't all that great. My parents are Los Angeles natives and sometimes I wish I had grown up on the West Coast as I'm a fan of nice weather, nice beaches, and big cities.

I think being from old cities with history is the "coolest" to be from. I've always loved places like Boston, New York (all boroughs have great history), and Philadelphia.

Basically any big name city is probably the "coolest" to be from if you're looking for something to brag about lol.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:50 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,070,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Out View Post
To answer the OP, when I've traveled abroad and am asked where in the U.S. I'm from, I get all sorts of very interested questions when I tell them Colorado. Even though I don't live there anymore, Colorado always gets a good discussion going.
I feel the same way. When I lived in CO, mentioning it to other people generally sparked conversation. It seems to capture the imagination and it definitely has some street creds for adventurous activities (and now, weed).

Old 12-08-2014, 07:07 AM

11,884 posts, read 10,385,743 times
I've always been proud to tell people I was from Philadelphia while traveling abroad.

Going to school in NYC, it was also something that was more unique than nearly everyone else that was from the NY tri-state area.

For other areas, California seemed to be of interest to people on the East Coast and at my College since it was somewhat uncommon. Hawaii too!

Old 12-08-2014, 07:34 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,802,129 times
I think that, whether or not a place one is from is considered cool, depends on where you currently reside. On the one hand, being from NY, NJ or (obviously) Cuba in South Florida is completely "meh" because there are so many there already. On the other hand, I always have a positive response when I tell people that I am originally from Oregon because it's so "exotic" for South Florida.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:24 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,123,693 times
I remember the first time I went to New York/New Jersey with my family. The native New Yorkers kept asking where we were from (I guess because of my brother's Laker hat). Every time we told them we were from Los Angeles, their eyes would get big and they'd fire off with questions, the most common one being can we talk like we're from the Valley and if we see celebrities on a regular basis.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:00 AM
Status: "Got the rocking modern neon sound" (set 9 days ago)

2,039 posts, read 1,991,711 times
Boston.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:03 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,138,498 times
Colorado. I think it's because there are so few of us . I meet more people in CA that are from CO than here at home.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:59 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,397,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Alaska would be the coolest.
I was endlessly facinated by stories of a youth on Kodiak Island, AK. Worked with a gal who grew up there. Half Inuit/half Russian. The scariest bear in the world rustling through your garbage. Weird food (like "Eskimo Ice Cream," which was blubber/sugar/fruit), extreme isolation, native culture, and so on. She ended up in LA doing, uh, risque film work right after high school, and somehow eventually the Upper Midwest (Green Bay) after college.

But I'm sure this was meant to be NYC/LA/or some mountain/beach area deal...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or