U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-08-2014, 12:28 PM
 
1,428 posts, read 1,823,239 times
Reputation: 1161

Advertisements

When I read the thread title, the first place that came to my mind was Hawaii. I click on the thread, and to my surprise, the first post talks about how cool it is to be from Hawaii. So I guess Hawaii is sort of a given.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-08-2014, 12:36 PM
 
Location: Buena Park, Orange County, California
1,426 posts, read 1,884,812 times
Reputation: 1493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Are these tourists from Europe or anyplace other than Canada and the US?
A lot of Australians and Brits, plus a mix bag of other Europeans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 01:10 PM
 
1,640 posts, read 2,050,929 times
Reputation: 2543
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Wrong. The average working class family in America isn't making nearly enough to travel. Especially Californians. Not to mention we aren't given the generous time off vacations some foreigners have.

Wrong again. New Yorkers are renowned pretty much anywhere below the mason dixon for being unaware and ignorant toward various cultures and customs of the different states and for being rude. They refuse to assimilate and bring their tri-state attitude to the south where they have repeatedly clashed with locals. I don't know where you're getting your information from.
I would have expected a comment like this from a FL person.

First of all, people in CA are much more gainfully employed than people in FL because CA has a better educated, skilled workforce and a more diversified economy with a larger corporate presence, so people in CA tend to have 8-5 M-F work schedules with somewhere in the range of 2-6 weeks vacation every year, depending on their field, seniority, longevity with their organization, etc., of course.

By comparison, most workers in FL are less educated/skilled and tend to work service industry-type jobs, especially in the hospitality, food and beverage, and retail industries, that allow for little work-life balance, not to mention offer little to no PTO. For the hospitality/tourism and retail sectors in particular, the busiest times of the year are the holidays and summer, when most people in other industries take vacation. Needless to say, most people in FL lack the propensity, particularly the time off from work and disposable income, to be able to afford an out-of-state or international vacation.

I've lived in both CA and FL, I've found that most Californians are incredibly well-traveled compared to Floridians. In fact, I'd go so far to say that the only Americans who seem to be more well-traveled than Californians are New Yorkers, so that's why I don't understand you're ignorant comment about New Yorkers, either. Most Floridians, especially the native ones, have never been farther north than NC or west of the Panhandle, save, perhaps, a trip or two to NYC or Vegas.

The New Yorkers you're referring to are the ornery, ignorant blue-collar transplants from LI, Upstate, or maybe even RI (similar accent) who seem to be attracted to FL like pigs on ****. Yeah, well, in that case, I agree with you -- those people are ill-traveled; however, they're hardly representative of New Yorkers at large.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Nashville TN
4,925 posts, read 4,920,250 times
Reputation: 4778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Alaska would be the coolest.
I don't know about the coolest, but it would def be the coldest lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 01:27 PM
 
6,040 posts, read 4,439,805 times
Reputation: 16753
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
I would have expected a comment like this from a FL person.

First of all, people in CA are much more gainfully employed than people in FL because CA has a better educated, skilled workforce and a more diversified economy with a larger corporate presence, so people in CA tend to have 8-5 M-F work schedules with somewhere in the range of 2-6 weeks vacation every year, depending on their field, seniority, longevity with their organization, etc., of course.

By comparison, most workers in FL are less educated/skilled and tend to work service industry-type jobs, especially in the hospitality, food and beverage, and retail industries, that allow for little work-life balance, not to mention offer little to no PTO. For the hospitality/tourism and retail sectors in particular, the busiest times of the year are the holidays and summer, when most people in other industries take vacation. Needless to say, most people in FL lack the propensity, particularly the time off from work and disposable income, to be able to afford an out-of-state or international vacation.

I've lived in both CA and FL, I've found that most Californians are incredibly well-traveled compared to Floridians. In fact, I'd go so far to say that the only Americans who seem to be more well-traveled than Californians are New Yorkers, so that's why I don't understand you're ignorant comment about New Yorkers, either. Most Floridians, especially the native ones, have never been farther north than NC or west of the Panhandle, save, perhaps, a trip or two to NYC or Vegas.

The New Yorkers you're referring to are the ornery, ignorant blue-collar transplants from LI, Upstate, or maybe even RI (similar accent) who seem to be attracted to FL like pigs on ****. Yeah, well, in that case, I agree with you -- those people are ill-traveled; however, they're hardly representative of New Yorkers at large.
the poster you're responding to claims to live in CA now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2014, 07:36 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
5,302 posts, read 8,102,022 times
Reputation: 2136
Hawaii, Alaska, California, New York City...
Then probably Seattle, Chicago, DC, Miami, New Orleans...places like that.

Everyone gawks in amazement when I tell them I'm from Hawaii, but have also lived in DC, San Diego, and New Orleans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2014, 07:42 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
5,302 posts, read 8,102,022 times
Reputation: 2136
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Probably California.

But most people in the world don't know that many U.S. states are wealthier per capita and more developed than California.
California has one of the best economies in the nation. If it were an independent country, it'd have the 36th highest economy in the world. And there are "undeveloped" areas in every state.

Besides, what does any of that have to do with coolness? When I tell someone I lived in San Diego for years, nobody thinks about it wealth per capita or urban development...they think of nice weather, beaches, scenery, closeness to LA, maybe even weed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2014, 01:37 PM
 
Location: Seattle aka tier 3 city :)
1,078 posts, read 962,945 times
Reputation: 683
There's CA/LA-Hollywood/New York, and then there's the rest of the country /thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2014, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee
3,451 posts, read 3,400,713 times
Reputation: 2896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Everyone gawks in amazement when I tell them I'm from Hawaii, but have also lived in DC, San Diego, and New Orleans.
They must not get out much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2014, 02:39 PM
 
Location: Center City, Philadelphia
4,633 posts, read 2,786,228 times
Reputation: 2981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
There's CA/LA-Hollywood/New York, and then there's the rest of the country /thread
No.. Well I guess Hollywood maybe but being from CA or NY is not unique or default cool. Being something like Alaskan or being an islander is very interesting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top