U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 08:24 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,123,508 times

Advertisements

Yes but many people in other countries and even parts of this country are fascinated when you say you're from San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, or New York City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 11:23 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,410,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Yes but many people in other countries and even parts of this country are fascinated when you say you're from San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, or New York City.
I've never seen this. Generally, it's more oddball places like non-Continental (AK/HI) or island (Key West to Mackinac) or very remote (mountain/desert towns) than the cities where the majority of the US population lives. Why would someone being from the biggest city in the country be "fascinating?" Who in this country has never met someone from San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, or New York City? Now, who's met someone who grew up in Barrow, AK or Beaver Island MI or Hoʻolehua, HI?

Old 12-15-2014, 11:34 AM

1,775 posts, read 2,521,920 times
I think it would have to be a place with a distinct local character. Places that come to mind:

Philadelphia
Charleston
New Orleans
Miami
San Antonio
Nashville
Some coastal communities in California
Some small New England towns

Old 12-15-2014, 08:06 PM

522 posts, read 557,022 times
These people would stick out to me:

Maine
Nevada
Alaska
Montana

The most common transplants I see (as a NOVA resident) are from:

Texas
Tennessee
North Carolina
Ohio

Old 12-16-2014, 10:44 AM

34,487 posts, read 41,620,393 times
Key West
Marthas Vineyard.
Okracoke
Daytona Beach
Death Valley

Old 12-16-2014, 11:25 AM

1,426 posts, read 1,890,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
I've never seen this. Generally, it's more oddball places like non-Continental (AK/HI) or island (Key West to Mackinac) or very remote (mountain/desert towns) than the cities where the majority of the US population lives. Why would someone being from the biggest city in the country be "fascinating?" Who in this country has never met someone from San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, or New York City? Now, who's met someone who grew up in Barrow, AK or Beaver Island MI or Hoʻolehua, HI?
I think we have two groups of people here. Those discussing about international perceptions, and those thinking about domestic ones.

In the international realm, being from California (LA/SF) or New York (CITY) or Hawaii is pretty up there on the cool bar. At least in Asia, California is the end of all of cool. Now, within the US, the story is different.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:34 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,410,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
I think we have two groups of people here. Those discussing about international perceptions, and those thinking about domestic ones.

In the international realm, being from California (LA/SF) or New York (CITY) or Hawaii is pretty up there on the cool bar. At least in Asia, California is the end of all of cool. Now, within the US, the story is different.
Good call - got ya here.

Domestically, though, the largest cities in the country are the least interesting places to be from, obviously, because that's where the majority of people are from.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:40 AM

1,426 posts, read 1,890,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Good call - got ya here.

Domestically, though, the largest cities in the country are the least interesting places to be from, obviously, because that's where the majority of people are from.
Agree

"Oh you're from New York City and lived in Greenwich?"

As Shania says "that don't impress me much..."

Old 12-20-2014, 01:23 PM

251 posts, read 237,971 times
NY or CA, outright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or