Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 01:17 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,606,547 times

Advertisements

Living in Hawaii, it's easy to take what's around me for granted, and it's often not until I leave that I am reminded how good I have it. It makes me think, where in the USA would you be most proud of saying you're from, or at least living?

This is different from "where is the coolest place to live." I guess the question is kind of "What place in the USA has the coolest image?

Is it Hawaii? New York City? San Francisco, LA? I'd love to hear input from people all over the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 01:38 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Alaska would be the coolest.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:39 PM

17 posts, read 25,248 times
Hawaii by a long shot. Followed by of course NYC, the true capital of our great nation. anywhere in California and Alaska are up there too.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:42 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,488,540 times
California/Alaska/Hawaii when it comes to states.

As to cities...I would say NYC, LA, San Francisco and Miami have the most prestige/cool factor abroad. Most other places most people don't even know about, much less think about. I'm not sure where Chicago falls within all of this.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:56 PM

17 posts, read 25,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
California/Alaska/Hawaii when it comes to states.

As to cities...I would say NYC, LA, San Francisco and Miami have the most prestige/cool factor abroad. Most other places most people don't even know about, much less think about. I'm not sure where Chicago falls within all of this.
I've found that most southern California natives know a lot less about US geography and cities than people from other places, and have traveled a lot less. My theory is in there mind there home has everything and anything you could ever want along with the "cool" factor. So most don't visit or ever think about other places, or at least not as much as people from less cool places.

On the other hand all the New Yorkers I've ever known were very cultured and aware of the rest of the nation outside of just there small corner called the Tri-State. Most of them knew a lot about small towns in the Midwest and south, there culture, and or had visited them or planned to.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:00 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
Hawaii for me

Old 12-05-2014, 03:20 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,188,270 times
From a foreign perspective: New York or California.

Old 12-05-2014, 03:38 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,488,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by composition View Post
I've found that most southern California natives know a lot less about US geography and cities than people from other places, and have traveled a lot less. My theory is in there mind there home has everything and anything you could ever want along with the "cool" factor. So most don't visit or ever think about other places, or at least not as much as people from less cool places.

On the other hand all the New Yorkers I've ever known were very cultured and aware of the rest of the nation outside of just there small corner called the Tri-State. Most of them knew a lot about small towns in the Midwest and south, there culture, and or had visited them or planned to.
1) We are talking about what people from outside the United States perceive is a cool place to be from, not what Southern Californians know or don't know.

2) Southern Californians are very well traveled (especially to Asia and then Latin America), and it is a state that receives a lot of immigration, so many people that call SoCal home, have many times lived and traveled to other countries - frequently. Perhaps, we don't visit other states as much (but, look at point 3) since we are in such a long state, in it takes us a bit just to get out, but we do like to visit other countries. I've been to several world class cities (like Tokyo), but haven't been to NYC or Chicago - I figured it will happen eventually, no rush.

3)As Californians we love our cars. We also love being on the open road and road trips. I've taken several with my friends across the nation, from LA through the south to Miami/Key West and back, and from LA to Vancouver, BC and back. Not to mention smaller trips through majestic Utah, to Colorado, Nevada etc. All you have to do ask about Californians on the forums of any Pacific (Oregon/Washington and even British Columbia),Mountain and Southwestern state, and you will find that the Californian traveler is not rare, but in fact very common.

I say all this as a native to California. Many of us definitely love our state, and appreciate what it has to offer, but we are in no way ignorant of the beauty of other places. Especially of the states we call our neighbors out here in the west, including Hawaii. We really like Hawaii out here (you'll be surprised how many Californians have really good knowledge of the islands, and not just the big kahuna.)

Old 12-05-2014, 03:44 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times
California seems like a Country in itself.

Old 12-05-2014, 03:46 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by composition View Post
Wrong. The average working class family in America isn't making nearly enough to travel. Especially Californians. Not to mention we aren't given the generous time off vacations some foreigners have.

Quote:
Wrong again. New Yorkers are renowned pretty much anywhere below the mason dixon for being unaware and ignorant toward various cultures and customs of the different states and for being rude. They refuse to assimilate and bring their tri-state attitude to the south where they have repeatedly clashed with locals. I don't know where you're getting your information from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.