U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 09:14 PM

2,753 posts, read 2,229,127 times

Advertisements

I agree that Seattle is a very walkable city. I'm surprised no one mentioned Providence, New Haven, and Hartford. Those 3 cities are under $1500 for a one-bedroom and Hartford has many great apartments in the downtown area that are very walkable. Hartford has decent mass transporation. The only negative that I have is that there only walkable in the downtown area and high crime in some parts of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 10:38 PM

18,138 posts, read 23,075,126 times
I think Sacramento, CA downtown might fit the bill. The downtown area is very walkable and full of pretty Victorian buildings and there are enough people out and about that you should be safe.

I lived in Sacto for a while, but not downtown. I then moved to Davis, and commuted to Sacto using buses and the train. I would change buses or get on lightrail downtown, and often went to downtown Sacto for fun.

It's hot in summer, but not humid, and you would get the evening delta breezes.

Lots of historical places, great restaurants, bars, coffee shops, thriving art community, museums. Anyway, I think you should put Sacramento on your list.

Here's a Craigslist search for apartments in downtown Sacramento, max rent $1500:

sacramento apts/housing for rent "downtown" - craigslist

Old 12-08-2014, 06:17 PM

306 posts, read 594,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I think Sacramento, CA downtown might fit the bill. The downtown area is very walkable and full of pretty Victorian buildings and there are enough people out and about that you should be safe.

I lived in Sacto for a while, but not downtown. I then moved to Davis, and commuted to Sacto using buses and the train. I would change buses or get on lightrail downtown, and often went to downtown Sacto for fun.

It's hot in summer, but not humid, and you would get the evening delta breezes.

Lots of historical places, great restaurants, bars, coffee shops, thriving art community, museums. Anyway, I think you should put Sacramento on your list.

Here's a Craigslist search for apartments in downtown Sacramento, max rent $1500:

sacramento apts/housing for rent "downtown" - craigslist
I live in Sacramento. You are 100% wrong, my friend, for a plethora of reasons that I won't get into here. You can find my posts in the Sac forum. Also, this city is disgusting. lol

Old 12-08-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
So the obvious ones are obvious, and it sounds like many of the second-tier could work too. Portland, Seattle, LA. If you work in the right neighborhoods then Atlanta, Minneapolis, St Louis, Kansas City, Denver, Cleveland, Dallas, Miami, and Charlotte all have large walkable areas that can suit day-to-day needs and rapid transit that can connect you to certain other parts of the city when necessary. My apologies if there are a few other cities I overlooked.
I don't really want to have to live in "the right" neighborhood. Anyone, conceivably, could go car-less if they are OK with going to the same two restaurants all the time and never being able to buy arugula, or something like that. Haha. I'm looking at a full experience and comfortable lifestyle in a dense city center without a car.

Seems this thread has sussed out these possibilities:
  • New York
  • Chicago
  • Washington DC
  • San Francisco
  • Boston
  • Philadelphia
  • Portland
  • Seattle
(I will leave LA off because I still have doubts. Seems like such a car culture out there. I feel like to actually experience LA, it would be severely limiting without a car.)

I've lived in most of the list above. Haha. Guess I didn't need a thread then, but it did help me discover Philly as an option. Thanks all!

Old 12-08-2014, 08:06 PM

5,722 posts, read 8,788,278 times
Quote:
Anyone, conceivably, could go car-less if they are OK with going to the same two restaurants all the time and never being able to buy arugula
My goodness, I could direct you to a neighborhood in my tiny Podunk city where you could buy Arugula at 3 groceries within 1/4 mile. A Mexican tienda, middle eastern grocery, produce market, a couple dozen restaurants and even more specialty shops.

If you want a big downtown it is fine to state your preference, But it is insulting to imply that a smaller city doesn't have clusters of amenities.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
My goodness, I could direct you to a neighborhood in my tiny Podunk city where you could buy Arugula at 3 groceries within 1/4 mile. A Mexican tienda, middle eastern grocery, produce market, a couple dozen restaurants and even more specialty shops.

If you want a big downtown it is fine to state your preference, But it is insulting to imply that a smaller city doesn't have clusters of amenities.
That was an example, not some sort of specific criteria. I am not actually concerned with arugula. And smaller cities do have clusters of amenities, but not ALL the amenities. In the cities I bulleted in the post just above, you get all of the amenities. People are clearly not understanding my question, or refusing to accept the parameters I requested. C'est la vie.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Look up Elmwood Village, Hertel Avenue/North Buffalo and perhaps Allentown, among others.
Yeah... no. I know all those areas. Still a ridiculous recommendation for what I outlined in my original post, which people seem insistent on ignoring. But thanks.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:12 PM

112 posts, read 77,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffincake View Post
Yeah... no. I know all those areas. Still a ridiculous recommendation for what I outlined in my original post, which people seem insistent on ignoring. But thanks.
You should be lucky anyone tried to help with your attitude. You will definitely fit in in Chicago, NY, or Philly. If you know so, so much about everything, why even create a thread? Just to tell people they are wrong and be rude to everyone? Especially since you have ruled out every city except for obvious ones, there seems to have been no need for the thread. Anyone with even a cursory knowledge would have put Philly on the list, and you would think someone who knows everything about every city that anyone mentioned would have already had it on the list. C'est la vie indeed.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:17 PM

14,157 posts, read 19,808,972 times
I'm surprised this thread lasted this long.
You've lived in the cities which you desire, there's not many left to chose from. Goodness.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:40 PM

112 posts, read 77,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I'm surprised this thread lasted this long.
You've lived in the cities which you desire, there's not many left to chose from. Goodness.
Exactly what was the point? If she had lived everywhere, or knows about everywhere, why even start the thread? She knows all about Buffalo, but didn't know about Philly? OP, this isn't Europe, there are only a few cities like you want, and they were already on your list, people tried to help you find new ones and were met with nothing but rudeness from you. So again, go with either Philly or NY, probably Philly since you want cheap too, you will fit right in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or