U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 01:02 AM

306 posts, read 594,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I have only visited those cities so I speak from that perspective, but the people I know well living in both places all have cars. And most are the kind that would ditch the vehicle if it weren't necessary.

For me, I imagine that the myriad of outdoor activities that make the PNW special would be hard or impossible without a car. I stole this from someone on reddit:

"But if you like to get out and actually see the Columbia Gorge, and Mt. Hood, and the Coast range, the Clackamas river, to go fishing and mushroom picking and mountain biking, camping and hiking and swimming in the waterfalls, fruit on Sauvies, wine country, the coast ...
...not having a car makes it very inconvenient to do any this, especially at the drop of a hat, with a bunch of gear."

Yes, this was also true when I lived in Chicago and DC, but honestly I feel like it's a much bigger part of the draw for the PNW.

Oh yeah, and for me a huge thing is authentic Asian cuisine, particularly Chinese. In some cases there is excellent food within easy transit access (like ID in Seattle), but in other cases the ethnic enclaves are not easy to get to (Annandale, VA or Rockville, MD outside DC). Portland's Chinatown is a little of both...not that easy to get to and also not that great...better Chinese elsewhere.
Thanks for this response. I'm pretty okay with not having a car for one-off sorts of adventures into wine country or to rock climb. I'm definitely a city person and would sooner explore the city than venture far into nature, though I'd probably do it once in a while and rent a car. For an outdoors person, I'd probably add SF to the list of places you may want a car for -- although SF's transportation is really good and nature is very close there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 09:43 PM

14,157 posts, read 19,812,740 times
My face hurts..

Old 12-10-2014, 10:31 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,119,864 times
LA's downtown is quickly gentrifying, expanding, and become more populated. It's cheaper than many other downtowns, so if you want to reap the benefits of a very-cultured city with great beaches and natural beauty and blessed by pleasant weather, that'd be one way to go.

Philly is also up-and-coming, with a great Center City. It has hot & humid summers, but a tad cooler than DC. I think you'd be better off in Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or