U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 02:14 PM

5,093 posts, read 6,862,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteNCRepublican View Post
How does West Virginia have more people being proud of their state then North Carolina!?! (according to the Gallup poll linked)
West Virginians have pride in their state, but in a weird way! The old line, "only I can make fun of my brother" applies here. West Virginians complain about WV a lot, but the second someone from VA, OH, PA, KY, or MD start to say something negative about our state, we as a state are quick to defend our beloved state! You can see how much our residents support WV in the percentage that root for WVU (our representatives).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 02:15 PM

1,426 posts, read 1,884,323 times
As a Californian...I say Texas/Texans.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:27 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,423,575 times
Texans, Arizonans, and Californians tend to be very proud of their states.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:35 PM

10,162 posts, read 6,495,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I'd agree with this. Sometimes I wonder why the Northerners and Floridians don't pick South Carolina or Virginia! Although I'm pretty positive Virginia is just as transplant saturated as North Carolina, but I don't think it's growing as fast.

Virginia and South Carolina gets its share. North Carolina does not have a monopoly on them. Charleston, Hilton Head, Myrtle Beach, as well as Greenville in the upstate. All are getting saturated,

Last edited by Scotty011; 12-08-2014 at 04:27 PM..

Old 12-08-2014, 09:48 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,270,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Virginia and South Carolina gets its share. North Carolina does not have a monopoly on them. Charleston, Hilton Head, Myrtle Beach, as well as Greenville in the upstate. All are getting saturated,
Yeah, I keep hearing that. Apparently the Upstate is going down a New South path similar to Charlotte, mainly due to the metro receiving more and more transplants as times goes by. People talk about a metropolis along I-85 in North Carolina, but it's probably the same case along I-85 in South Carolina, too.

As for Virginia, I've heard Richmond and the Hampton Roads have tons of transplants like Raleigh/Durham and Charlotte. Not even counting Northern Virginia, Virginia and North Carolina are probably in the same boat regarding the amount of transplants in the major metros of both states.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:55 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,129,269 times
1. Texas
2. New Jersey
3. New York

Old 12-08-2014, 11:55 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,049,650 times
Montana is home to the most prideful residents, but most Americans wouldn't know because they've never been.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:23 PM

2,321 posts, read 3,006,870 times
I'd have to say TEXAS! I used to do a lot of traveling by boat through the Carribean and Central America and you could always tell the crews from texas. Even if it was just one. Typically a sportfishing boat will fly small (12x20 or so inches) flags of the country the boat is documented to, a US flag if an American crew and perhaps another such as a state flag. Upon entering another country or staying in another country there will be a courtesy flag as well for that country flown as well. Then there are the Texans who follow those rules as well. However, it is very common for them to fly a large FULL SIZE Texas flag of about 5 X 7 FEET OR BIGGER up high off a rigger when at dock. Quite funny actually. I always point out that they put their NC flag upside down. They never like that!

Old 12-09-2014, 01:01 PM

87,011 posts, read 102,621,396 times
Minnesotans will tell you their state is the best, best, best, best, best!

Old 04-30-2018, 02:43 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,140,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
As a North Carolinian; I'd say it's a unique mix of pride for the state while also annoyance with how everyone else thinks it's the best state too. Naive Northerners and Floridians who think NC is the land of milk and honey and move here in droves expecting it to be something it's not and trying to change it into something else make it a somewhat less "brag-worthy" state.

I love NC; especially traditional NC....but I am not a fan of all of the "NC hype" that's going on now.
In my opinion, as a Colorado native, the very same observation can be made about us. And I feel the same as you regarding my love of Colorado. (Didn't mean to reopen this old post, came up during a Google search, sorry.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.