U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 09:35 PM

622 posts, read 948,586 times

Advertisements

Here in the Ozarks of sw mo or nw Arkansas you can get a very nice 2 or 3 bedroom house for 100k or less. My moms house has been on the market for 5 years. It's very nice only 15 years old. 5 bedroom three bathrooms two kitchens two living rooms deck large yard. It's 160k and no one is biting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 10:05 PM

12,460 posts, read 11,967,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Tell me about 5523 Ellsworth condo and 4919 Cypress house...what makes them good locations? How bout Long St...what is up-and-coming? TIA.
Ellsworth is in Shadyside, which is more or less yuppie central for the city, and has been for a few decades. It's only a few blocks away from both the Walnut and Ellsworth business districts, which have plenty of shops, restaurants, and bars.

The Cypress house is in Bloomfield, which is very desirable to young people on a budget. It's right near Liberty Avenue, which is a great functional business district. It's probably the most convenient place in the city to live car free as well, due to the huge number of buses which travel through the neighborhood.

The Long Street house is in Millvale, albeit pretty far up in the northern fringe. Millvale actually just outside the city, but it's an old river borough which is closer to Downtown Pittsburgh than most of the city itself. You can easily ride a bike into Downtown from there in 20 minutes. It's had a minor artist community for decades, a major musical venue if you're into underground music, and a decent French bakery. As neighboring Lawrenceville has gentrified, the hipster set has begun relocating out there. It's still a ways to go before it actually gentrifies, but it has all the foundations already.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:49 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,273,191 times
I can buy a parking space in a garage South of Market, with a little left over to pay the HOA fees on it for a couple of years.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:11 AM

56,807 posts, read 81,169,050 times
Quote:
Eastwood looks pretty cool! Would you say Syracuse can hold its own as a metro? Do Rochester or Buffalo have a lot more to offer?

Tell me about 5523 Ellsworth condo and 4919 Cypress house...what makes them good locations? How bout Long St...what is up-and-coming? TIA.

Interesting..thanks for sharing! Of course, the exact parameters used to define gentrification in this analysis were arbitrary, so that could explain some of the surprises.
I'd say that Syracuse has quite a bit to off we for its size. What is interesting about Eastwood is that while it is a solid neighborhood, it can also go to another level with some more investment. So, it has potential to be even better. It is essentially a small city/big village of about 16,000 within a bigger city.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:19 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,841,400 times
In South Beach, 100K will renovate the kitchen and two bathrooms in the condo that you already own.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:16 PM

6,324 posts, read 6,996,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'd say that Syracuse has quite a bit to off we for its size. What is interesting about Eastwood is that while it is a solid neighborhood, it can also go to another level with some more investment. So, it has potential to be even better. It is essentially a small city/big village of about 16,000 within a bigger city.
That's awesome! Historic, strong sense of community, and walkable. All characteristics of a great neighborhood. 16,000 in what kind of area? 1 or 2 sq miles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I can buy a parking space in a garage South of Market, with a little left over to pay the HOA fees on it for a couple of years.
Ha, no doubt! I was looking at real estate when I was in Macau and for about 150k USD we saw we could buy a parking space as well. For what it's worth, prices are in a 12-consecutive-month slump in Macau at the moment...meaning that parking space won't be that "cheap" for long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Ellsworth is in Shadyside, which is more or less yuppie central for the city, and has been for a few decades. It's only a few blocks away from both the Walnut and Ellsworth business districts, which have plenty of shops, restaurants, and bars.

The Cypress house is in Bloomfield, which is very desirable to young people on a budget. It's right near Liberty Avenue, which is a great functional business district. It's probably the most convenient place in the city to live car free as well, due to the huge number of buses which travel through the neighborhood.

The Long Street house is in Millvale, albeit pretty far up in the northern fringe. Millvale actually just outside the city, but it's an old river borough which is closer to Downtown Pittsburgh than most of the city itself. You can easily ride a bike into Downtown from there in 20 minutes. It's had a minor artist community for decades, a major musical venue if you're into underground music, and a decent French bakery. As neighboring Lawrenceville has gentrified, the hipster set has begun relocating out there. It's still a ways to go before it actually gentrifies, but it has all the foundations already.
Thanks for the descriptions! These all sound interesting to me. I doubt I'll be looking to purchase/invest outside of FL for the next year or two, but when if the time comes it will be cool to see what has changed in the aforementioned areas. I believe I was in Lawrenceville for an extremely hipster party (quasi-rave) in an old two-story home that had been converted into a "bar." Remember it pretty vividly lol.

If you don't mind a few more questions: How are the buses? Are there any plans to expand Pittsburgh's rail transit?

Old 12-11-2014, 04:00 PM

56,807 posts, read 81,169,050 times
Quote:
That's awesome! Historic, strong sense of community, and walkable. All characteristics of a great neighborhood. 16,000 in what kind of area? 1 or 2 sq miles?

Ha, no doubt! I was looking at real estate when I was in Macau and for about 150k USD we saw we could buy a parking space as well. For what it's worth, prices are in a 12-consecutive-month slump in Macau at the moment...meaning that parking space won't be that "cheap" for long.

Thanks for the descriptions! These all sound interesting to me. I doubt I'll be looking to purchase/invest outside of FL for the next year or two, but when if the time comes it will be cool to see what has changed in the aforementioned areas. I believe I was in Lawrenceville for an extremely hipster party (quasi-rave) in an old two-story home that had been converted into a "bar." Remember it pretty vividly lol.

If you don't mind a few more questions: How are the buses? Are there any plans to expand Pittsburgh's rail transit?
This is the zip for Eastwood: 13206 Zip Code - USA.comô

I have to make a correction, as some of that is in an adjacent town. So, the portion within Syracuse is about 13-14,000 in roughly 2 square miles. It was annexed in 1928 from that adjacent town(DeWitt). Eastwood, Syracuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.syracuse.ny.us/uploadedFi...ing%20Plan.pdf

You may be interested in this as well: Home - Greater Syracuse Land Bank

City of Syracuse

City of Syracuse

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-11-2014 at 05:13 PM..

Old 12-11-2014, 04:29 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,060,867 times
In Des Moines, there are still a lot of homes for under $100,000. They're typically older homes in the north, east, and south parts of the city. They're not in the best neighborhoods, but definitely not what I would call unsafe. In the Des Moines suburbs, $100,000 will get you either a condo or an older fixer upper, but the newer developments are all pretty pricey. In rural Iowa, $100,000 can still get you a large, nice home.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:00 PM

1,938 posts, read 2,864,939 times
heck no.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:16 PM

12,460 posts, read 11,967,021 times
Quote:

So you're looking to be a long-distance investor? Seems a risky thing to me. Pittsburgh is one of the best markets for flipping if you put equity into fixing up the property right now, but working out the logistics of working with contractors from many states away just isn't worth it IMHO.

The bus system is fine. Locals trash it, since it's been subject to rounds of cuts over the years, and is nowhere near as comprehensive as it used to be. But Pittsburgh's in-city transit utilization (as a percentage of the city population who uses transit to get to work) is within the top ten for a core city in the country. You can get from nearly any part of the city proper to Downtown on the buses. In most of the East End you can also get to Oakland, the main university hub. One reason why Bloomfield is a better neighborhood for car-free living is not only does it have a plethora of buses traveling to both places, but also has a bus (the 54) which goes to the North Side and South Side Flats, making it easy to get to virtually every part of the city with a business district without a bus transfer. In addition the city has several BRT lines which offer very fast service, with the East Busway the most heavily used.

As for expanding the rail system, there are a few plans going around now, but nothing confirmed. The most fleshed out idea is to run a daytime transit line along a heavy rail freight line which runs along the Allegheny River from Downtown out to at least Oakmont. The railroad is not only behind it, but spearheading the idea. It needs capital to move forward though. Other ideas being mulled semi-publicly are a Lawrenceville to Hazelwood line (which our mayor is championing) and a Downtown to Lawrenceville streetcar line (mostly to go through the Strip District. There's also proposals to extend the existing "T" light rail system either to the airport or into the northern suburbs. But really all of these are in such early planning I don't expect much in the next five years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or