U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 05:04 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,125,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
Without the mountains,Denver is Indianapolis. And I actually think that with the mountains, Denver is still Indianapolis.

Both, however, are great cities in which to live. I just wouldn't really care to visit either.
Whoa...how's that for a total mind****

So add and subtract things here and there and each city is basically every other city....sweet!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 08:05 PM

705 posts, read 678,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnLion512 View Post
Whoa...how's that for a total mind****

So add and subtract things here and there and each city is basically every other city....sweet!!!
My point was this: Denver is very boring. The mountains are interesting; Denver is not.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:20 PM

705 posts, read 678,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I'm not sure I agree with that. Denver is larger than Indy, at least the last time I checked. Not to mention, in terms of sports it's pretty top of the line. It's pretty rare that you have a city the size of Denver with NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL teams. I guess the tourist industry must be what enables this to work?
I think Denver's just a great sports town. It has an intensity about its team that is almost without parallel.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:39 PM

2,265 posts, read 1,303,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_chalk View Post
Well, that's what I'm wondering. What do you want to do that you can't do in Indianapolis (or wherever)?

That's nice...
I will use San Francisco. San Francisco in both the city and the srrounding metro area has a significant larger number of things to see. Whether it be the Golden Gate Bridge, the Muir Woods, or Coit Tower. San Francisco has unique and interesting neighborhoods which are better in quality and larger in number than Indy. SF has much better shopping options than Indy. SF has much better food options than Indy. SF has an amazing China Town which Indy lacks. SF has better parks than Indy. There is simply a lot more to do and see in SF as opposed to Indy.

It's simply my opinion, but a city like Indy is a low to mid level city that does not offer the array of options that cities like Boston, Chicago, SF, Miami, or even New Orleans does.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:43 PM

3,900 posts, read 1,654,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
I will use San Francisco. San Francisco in both the city and the srrounding metro area has a significant larger number of things to see. Whether it be the Golden Gate Bridge, the Muir Woods, or Coit Tower. San Francisco has unique and interesting neighborhoods which are better in quality and larger in number than Indy. SF has much better shopping options than Indy. SF has much better food options than Indy. SF has an amazing China Town which Indy lacks. SF has better parks than Indy. There is simply a lot more to do and see in SF as opposed to Indy.

It's simply my opinion, but a city like Indy is a low to mid level city that does not offer the array of options that cities like Boston, Chicago, SF, Miami, or even New Orleans does.
You obiviously need to spend more time in Indy then.
Heck the cost of living in Indianapolis is 50% LOWER than SF and the average wage is 10% less so i gain 40% disposible income.
idk about you but i rather give up a few of those things and have a huge affordable house within close proximity to Chicago and other major metros and in a city that is the 8th fastest growing in the country. Plus the Indy 500 every memorial day weekend cant be beat in SF.
People that live in NYC/SF/Chicago like to justify paying the insane cost of living is worth it. No thanks i rather own a big house and a car and have freedom compared to living in an apartment by the train lines that you see in the movies
Heck the cost of living in Indianapolis is the LOWEST of any Major Cities. For being the 11th largest city thats not bad i have to say
Plus since im 3 hours away from Chicago its an easy drive to all those big city amendities for a sweet vacation but i have extra money to spend on other vacations. so saving money by living in Indianapolis pays off that i can take more vacations to more places to see more Freedom is nice i have to say.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:55 PM

14,756 posts, read 13,366,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
My point was this: Denver is very boring. The mountains are interesting; Denver is not.
I couldn't believe when I drove out of the Eisenhower Tunnel the first time I road-tripped across the country... and let my foot off the gas all the way to Denver. I was expecting to be somewhat impressed. I wasn't at all.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:59 PM

14,756 posts, read 13,366,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
People that live in NYC/SF/Chicago like to justify paying the insane cost of living is worth it. No thanks i rather own a big house and a car and have freedom compared to living in an apartment by the train lines that you see in the movies
Heck the cost of living in Indianapolis is the LOWEST of any Major Cities. For being the 11th largest city thats not bad i have to say
That they do. San Franciscans are likely to say "I live in THE city." Barf. (They don't say that in LA).

Generally, any substantial metro area that has a limiting geographical boundary has higher housing costs, and that's true for the coastal port cities on both costs (with the possible exception of Norfolk and Jacksonville, though both lie slightly inland).

Old 03-30-2012, 09:10 PM

2,265 posts, read 1,303,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
You obiviously need to spend more time in Indy then.
Heck the cost of living in Indianapolis is 50% LOWER than SF and the average wage is 10% less so i gain 40% disposible income.
idk about you but i rather give up a few of those things and have a huge affordable house within close proximity to Chicago and other major metros and in a city that is the 8th fastest growing in the country. Plus the Indy 500 every memorial day weekend cant be beat in SF.
Plus since im 3 hours away from Chicago its an easy drive to all those big city amendities for a sweet vacation but i have extra money to spend on other vacations. so saving money by living in Indianapolis pays off that i can take more vacations to more places to see more Freedom is nice i have to say.

Posts like this are always nice for some comic relief on the the CD forums.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:54 PM

3,900 posts, read 1,654,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Posts like this are always nice for some comic relief on the the CD forums.
its true though.
If im spending all my money living in NYC to enjoy that life.
Whats Paris like? London? Toronto? Tokyo? etc.
Cant explore the world without money.
I have seen post though in the past about people loving Indy because of its kind down to earth culture. Hoosier Hospitality is real and they also like the Affordability and ironically that poster talked to me about how much they travel

Old 03-31-2012, 12:58 AM

674 posts, read 791,767 times
Texarkana is the most boring metropolitain area in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.