U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-31-2012, 02:18 AM
 
Location: Cleveland bound with MPLS in the rear-view
5,531 posts, read 5,998,299 times
Reputation: 2225

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Posts like this are always nice for some comic relief on the the CD forums.
He's ridiculous but his overall point that SF is very expensive and you can get quite a good life in other places in this country for MUCH less is NOT invalid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-31-2012, 06:48 AM
 
12,434 posts, read 12,459,299 times
Reputation: 8920
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Orlando is boring to me. After having lived in large cities it's a bit sleepy for me, besides having suburban sprawl and being intellectually backward. Yes there are the amusement parks, but astoundingly not everyone over the age of say 14 has a strong affinity for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Well there's been SOMEthing interesting coming from that area lately....
Yep it's interesting, but not a perk in terms of living here. Embarrassing comes to mind...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2012, 08:14 AM
 
Location: Indianapolis
3,900 posts, read 2,018,572 times
Reputation: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
He's ridiculous but his overall point that SF is very expensive and you can get quite a good life in other places in this country for MUCH less is NOT invalid.
Exactly
and no the truth is not ridiculous lol.
SFers and New Yorkers just dont know any better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2012, 12:30 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
877 posts, read 1,660,507 times
Reputation: 1097
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
My point was this: Denver is very boring. The mountains are interesting; Denver is not.
How can a self proclaimed suburbanite who rarely if ever takes advantage of Denver's urban offerings fairly claim such a thing? Denver is only boring for boring people.

Maybe you should start with this. This local publication probably has about 1,000 things listed that you can do in Denver this weekend:

http://www.westword.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2012, 01:00 PM
 
171 posts, read 138,925 times
Reputation: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Phoenix seems like it would be a rather dull place.

Detroit too.
That's the problem with CD...posters comment about how cities "seem" to be this or "seem like they would be" that, yet many posters never really know because they haven't actually spent any significant time in those cities.

How about offering up something substantial? That "seems" like a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2012, 01:33 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
12,399 posts, read 7,488,850 times
Reputation: 6848
What is boring about Indianapolis? The people who say Indy is boring never really backed up their opinion (besides the poster who compared it to SF lol)

At least the indy posters are actually backing up their answers with different attractions in their city.

Indianapolis has alot of Museums, Monuments, great location and nice Downtown. I could have a blast there (but i have been told im very easily impressed.) I could see myself living there as well, many things to do in the metro (zoo, children's museum, colts game, indy 500, family road trips to Santa Clause)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2012, 02:07 PM
 
706 posts, read 635,989 times
Reputation: 867
Houston is an alright place, but it is surprisingly boring for a city of its size. Yes, I know there are some museums, restaurants, blah blah blah. It's still not as exciting as one would expect for the country's 4th largest city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2012, 04:42 PM
 
Location: Austin, Texas, USA
1,290 posts, read 1,265,185 times
Reputation: 1097
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
What is boring about Indianapolis? The people who say Indy is boring never really backed up their opinion (besides the poster who compared it to SF lol)

At least the indy posters are actually backing up their answers with different attractions in their city.

Indianapolis has alot of Museums, Monuments, great location and nice Downtown. I could have a blast there (but i have been told im very easily impressed.) I could see myself living there as well, many things to do in the metro (zoo, children's museum, colts game, indy 500, family road trips to Santa Clause)
True, but the reality is a lot of cities have all of that stuff and more, too. I did have fun in Indy, but truthfully of all the cities I've spent time in in the Midwest alone I thought were more interesting and fun than Indy, namely - Chicago, Twin Cities, Milwaukee, Madison, Cleveland, Columbus, KC, even St. Louis. I don't place a high value on visiting monuments, but culture-wise, downtown-wise, neighborhood-wise, people-wise, parks-wise I would place Indy near the bottom of the pack. So while it may not be boring from the perspective that it *has* things to do, it's the most boring metro in my opinion of the cities I've visited, even though that's kind of a harsh way of putting it. Like I said, I enjoyed Indy and agree with BobMarley that I could make living there work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2012, 06:11 PM
 
Location: Indianapolis
3,900 posts, read 2,018,572 times
Reputation: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
What is boring about Indianapolis? The people who say Indy is boring never really backed up their opinion (besides the poster who compared it to SF lol)

At least the indy posters are actually backing up their answers with different attractions in their city.

Indianapolis has alot of Museums, Monuments, great location and nice Downtown. I could have a blast there (but i have been told im very easily impressed.) I could see myself living there as well, many things to do in the metro (zoo, children's museum, colts game, indy 500, family road trips to Santa Clause)

Santa Clause Indiana is very nice. So is Southern Indiana and the Hoosier National forest and the caves
Hohoho
Plus as i mentioned the close proximity to other major metros like Chicago/Cincy/St Louis/Louisville gives you PLENTY of options
Mtnlion that is changing. If you came to Indianapolis say even 10 years ago and came now its like Indy completely changed again.
The city is changing very fast now with new arts and culture initives like Mass Ave and the redevelopment of Fountain Square and the Near East Side. Plus the first northern City to be on the Super Bowl host rotation list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2012, 07:45 PM
 
11,037 posts, read 6,799,403 times
Reputation: 5483
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnLion512 View Post
True, but the reality is a lot of cities have all of that stuff and more, too. I did have fun in Indy, but truthfully of all the cities I've spent time in in the Midwest alone I thought were more interesting and fun than Indy, namely - Chicago, Twin Cities, Milwaukee, Madison, Cleveland, Columbus, KC, even St. Louis. I don't place a high value on visiting monuments, but culture-wise, downtown-wise, neighborhood-wise, people-wise, parks-wise I would place Indy near the bottom of the pack. So while it may not be boring from the perspective that it *has* things to do, it's the most boring metro in my opinion of the cities I've visited, even though that's kind of a harsh way of putting it. Like I said, I enjoyed Indy and agree with BobMarley that I could make living there work.
Maybe "least exciting" is a better way to put it? I'on know....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:15 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top