U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-01-2012, 04:58 PM

2,296 posts, read 1,214,407 times
I haven't read all of the posts - but vote for Oklahoma City as the most boring place in America. It is sprawled out, with no real center or focal point, in spite of it being the capital. There are very few architecturally interesting neighborhoods - it never has been a wealthy city. And the people there really are the worst drivers in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 05:06 PM

10,964 posts, read 6,714,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I haven't read all of the posts - but vote for Oklahoma City as the most boring place in America. It is sprawled out, with no real center or focal point, in spite of it being the capital. There are very few architecturally interesting neighborhoods - it never has been a wealthy city. And the people there really are the worst drivers in America.
Maybe it's just me, but I'm not sure how any of this necessarily translates to it being boring. Much of what you said could apply to other cities generally considered interesting on some level, like Vegas.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:16 PM

2,296 posts, read 1,214,407 times
I agree with you about Las Vegas, but know OKC better. And I'd never voluntarily take a trip to OKC, but once in a blue moon there might be some event that would tempt me to go to LV. Maybe.

But in general all urban sprawl with cookie cutter architecture is boring.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:50 PM

14,755 posts, read 14,993,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
My feeling is: if you're bored, then you're boring
I disagree completely. Your life, experience and circumstances could change quite a bit between living in two metro areas, even if back-to-back.

Some places fit like a glove, and others like a mitt.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:32 PM

706 posts, read 630,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Furthermore, even if one city has a lot of things that other cities have, the quality and location of those amenities can make all the difference in the world.
I agree, most places have similar types of amenities--zoos/museums/theaters/restaurants. However, they vary greatly in terms of the quality.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:33 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,033,882 times
Philly and San Diego

Old 04-01-2012, 09:42 PM

25,109 posts, read 26,884,706 times
I've travelled to just about every major city in America, and I can say this: Every town has something cool about it. If you get bored anywhere, it's your own damned fault.

Except Montgomery, Alabama. I had client business there one a week for two years. I scoured that place for interesting things to do at night. With the exception of a surprisingly good Shakespeare festival, absolutely nothing. Seriously.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:53 PM

10,964 posts, read 6,714,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I've travelled to just about every major city in America, and I can say this: Every town has something cool about it. If you get bored anywhere, it's your own damned fault.

Except Montgomery, Alabama. I had client business there one a week for two years. I scoured that place for interesting things to do at night. With the exception of a surprisingly good Shakespeare festival, absolutely nothing. Seriously.
Seems like they've been trying, especially with the establishment of the Alley, a downtown entertainment district:

The Alley: A New Shortcut to Business Success - Montgomery Area Chamber of Commerce

Old 04-02-2012, 04:48 PM

3,547 posts, read 3,177,658 times
Although I'm sure there is plenty to offer, I have been bored in Portland due to being there but not being able to actually do anything. Same with Denver. I got sent there for a work conference and didn't get to see much more than a three block radius from my hotel and the drive to and from the airport in the dark. Although I get sick of hearing about Denver where I live, I wouldn't mind checking it out. Same with Portland.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:34 PM

13,329 posts, read 13,299,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And the crazy thing is that there are plenty of residents in those cities who haven't even come close to taking advantage of most of what their cities offer.
Good point. I have cousins that live in Miami/SoFla that haven't been to the beach in months. Some of them haven't been a in a year. They live regular lives for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.