U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-07-2014, 08:23 AM
 
1 posts, read 832 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Im looking for a place to reside after college graduation. I'm from Springfield OH. I've been everywhere on the east coast from NYC to Maine. While some places were nice, I will have to rule out these states because I can't deal with the bitter winters much longer. I used to live in South Carolina and loved the weather but not sure if I want to return just yet. Basically, I am looking for a state with very mild winters. I love being outdoors and want to move somewhere with a surplus of out door activities from white water rafting to hiking. I also want to live near a major city. I will be a licensed practical nurse and want to find work in an outpatient surgery center...ideally plastic surgery. It is also important I move somewhere where I can easily meet people and date. I am in my twenties and am single. I've never been to California and while the weather is a plus I can't apply for licensure in California nor Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-07-2014, 10:24 AM
 
404 posts, read 740,091 times
Reputation: 440
I would highly recommend the Denver area. Winters are surprisingly mild there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2014, 07:50 PM
 
447 posts, read 583,491 times
Reputation: 788
OP, how big does a metro area have to be for you to consider it a 'major city'?

To escape freezing temperatures and significant snowfall, you're pretty much looking at the Southern states and the Pacific Northwest. Portland and Seattle are both pretty big cities with milder winters and a surplus of outdoor activity. It's fairly wet and chilly most of the winter but rarely gets below freezing. If you could put up with smaller metros, you might really like Knoxville or Asheville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2014, 08:16 PM
 
Location: TOVCCA
8,452 posts, read 11,484,318 times
Reputation: 12309
There's quite a bit of plastic surgery (presume you mean cosmetic as opposed to reconstructive?) going on in the Las Vegas area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2014, 05:58 AM
 
21,234 posts, read 30,478,027 times
Reputation: 19706
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoAngel View Post
OP, how big does a metro area have to be for you to consider it a 'major city'?

To escape freezing temperatures and significant snowfall, you're pretty much looking at the Southern states and the Pacific Northwest. Portland and Seattle are both pretty big cities with milder winters and a surplus of outdoor activity. It's fairly wet and chilly most of the winter but rarely gets below freezing. If you could put up with smaller metros, you might really like Knoxville or Asheville.
Actually Asheville gets rather cold and rivals much of the Northeast in terms of winter weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2014, 06:10 AM
 
21,234 posts, read 30,478,027 times
Reputation: 19706
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13emma View Post
Im looking for a place to reside after college graduation. I'm from Springfield OH. I've been everywhere on the east coast from NYC to Maine. While some places were nice, I will have to rule out these states because I can't deal with the bitter winters much longer. I used to live in South Carolina and loved the weather but not sure if I want to return just yet. Basically, I am looking for a state with very mild winters. I love being outdoors and want to move somewhere with a surplus of out door activities from white water rafting to hiking. I also want to live near a major city. I will be a licensed practical nurse and want to find work in an outpatient surgery center...ideally plastic surgery. It is also important I move somewhere where I can easily meet people and date. I am in my twenties and am single. I've never been to California and while the weather is a plus I can't apply for licensure in California nor Texas.
You might check out Atlanta. The north side suburbs are beautiful places to live (very green/forested) and offer fairly easy access to outdoor activities like hiking or kayaking. Winters are quite mild by overall US standards with little snow/ice. Suburbs such as Sandy Springs or Dunwoody are great options because they're at the northern end of the MARTA subway line which allows for easy trips to/from central Atlanta, proximity to major jobs centers in the immediate area and is just minutes from the Chattahoochee River's water sports. The cost of living is also pretty decent which could be a major consideration right out of school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2014, 08:50 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX and wherever planes fly
1,561 posts, read 2,402,490 times
Reputation: 1404
I was going to suggest Atlanta also. Also Tampa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 02:39 PM
 
3,280 posts, read 3,848,456 times
Reputation: 3988
Birmingham Area, AL. Lots of good suburbs like Mountain Brook and Hoover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 05:03 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
173 posts, read 197,880 times
Reputation: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Birmingham Area, AL. Lots of good suburbs like Mountain Brook and Hoover.
Also check out Pelham AL. I miss the beautiful mountains/foothills there now that I live in flat Louisiana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top