U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 12:54 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,136,680 times

Advertisements

1. Atlanta
2. Pittsburgh
3. Charlotte.
4. Portland, OR
5. Seattle
6. Raleigh/RTP
7. Hartford
8. Springfield, MA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 02:16 PM

3,718 posts, read 3,570,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowboy06 View Post
ya not seeing much in pittsburgh or boston. washington dc is pretty well canopied
You must be joking right?

Pittsburgh is 42% by area in tree cover. No other city has anywhere near that.

Urban Tree Canopy - National Geographic

Old 12-08-2014, 02:21 PM

3,718 posts, read 3,570,956 times
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ed...!6m1!1e1?hl=en

This street is 3 miles from downtown Pittsburgh in the Brookline neighborhood.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:25 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,651,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Cleveland is known as The Forest City.
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
Seattle, by miles, then Portland imo

Unfortunately, in the three decades I lived in Portland I saw many trees sacrificed in city and suburban neighborhoods for urban growth. It was refreshing to move to the city of Cleveland Heights where the trees were so numerous I am just now beginning to be able to see the houses behind them now that the leaves have fallen.

There are small parks with trees and wooded areas everywhere here.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:01 PM

561 posts, read 486,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
You must be joking right?

Pittsburgh is 42% by area in tree cover. No other city has anywhere near that.

Urban Tree Canopy - National Geographic
Not true. Pittsburgh has a higher percentage than the other 8 cities on that list. But that list you provided wasn't the top 9 cities. It was a random selection.

For instance, Atlanta's tree cover percentage is 53.9, the highest of any major city.

http://www.itreetools.org/Canopy/res...Greenfield.pdf

Old 12-08-2014, 06:28 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,068,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
the PNW and Piedmont stick out for me. DC is actually very lush and green in the summer. You would find it hard to believe you are driving through a major metro area in some spots driving on the beltway. Houston is pretty underrated too as already pointed out. Also, to that one other poster earlier, I would NOT sleep on Charlotte.
Ha, so true. I remember being dropped off at college in NC 20 years ago (dang, showing my age!) and being amazed at the amount of tree cover along the interstate. I knew from looking at the map that we were near the mountains, but you'd never know it from driving down the road. After living in CO for the last five years, I'm experiencing that same feeling all over again in the NW. Unless there's water, a clearing, or you're on top of a hill, it's often hard to see some of the mountains surrounding you. Not complaining at all, though. I missed the lushness and tree cover, and there's plenty of it here!

As it was pointed out (and I just noticed), the list isn't of the top places, otherwise ATL and CLT would certainly make the list. This was just a feature on cities that are making strides to improve their canopies.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:29 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,098,260 times
Houston

Shreveport

Little Rock

Memphis

Nashville

Chattanooga

Birmingham

Montgomery

Atlanta

Charlotte

Pittsburgh

Portland

Old 12-08-2014, 07:21 PM

157 posts, read 228,670 times
Atlanta is very forested from what I remember and so is other mid size cities like Charlotte, Columbia, Raleigh, Columbus, Birmingham and pretty much most of the cities along the East Coast and Gulf Coast..
Must not forget Portland and Seattle too since they have plenty of trees everywhere you go...

Old 12-08-2014, 08:08 PM

175 posts, read 592,276 times
ya that street view provided does no jsutice still to pittsburgh. it was like only 1 street in a ton of residential with any tree cover. cleveland is actually ok, savannah georgia columbus and parts of south carolina. it seemed like atlanta definetley had the most. more then seattle more then portland more then any other city i know of. tampa and scaramento are close second. with i would say portland taking 3rd

Old 12-08-2014, 09:43 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,311,571 times
Why aren't people looking at the objective scientific data? Is % of tree canopy coverage not a good metric to use? I'm not as familiar with the "we have more trees than you" argument as I should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or