U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2014, 05:52 PM

175 posts, read 592,676 times

Advertisements

Dont forget the place i was born Sacramento
http://goo.gl/maps/Q6Ao6
http://goo.gl/maps/3Zf5v
http://goo.gl/maps/s2ZLK
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 10:30 AM

802 posts, read 1,739,939 times
Nashville's tree canopy over rolling hills.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:03 AM

1,593 posts, read 833,796 times
Isn't Anchorage, AK mostly National Forest with the people and buildings jammed on the waterfront?

Old 12-10-2014, 12:58 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,269,544 times
If Atlanta is the most forested, that doesn't surprise me at all. Most cities/metros in the South are quite forested. Along with Atlanta, I'd throw in Raleigh/Durham and Charlotte.

The Research Triangle area of NC is quite forested, probably just as forested as Atlanta. Most of the suburban neighborhoods look like they've been carved out of pine forests, and that's pretty much the case. The immediate areas around RTP are quite forested. If you drive out of RDU, you'll feel like you're in the middle of nowhere. However, you're really in the heart of the Research Triangle, just can't see any buildings or suburban neighborhoods because they're under the cover of trees. Fly into RDU and look out the window, nothing but trees and the skylines of Raleigh and Durham in the distance.

Last edited by JayJayCB; 12-10-2014 at 01:09 PM..

Old 12-10-2014, 08:29 PM

305 posts, read 321,618 times
I met a New Yorker and he told me 'we have alot of effin trees down here' I was just like what, Im used to it lol

Old 12-10-2014, 11:45 PM

nashville is pretty forested but no real canopy.

my #1. coral gables fl, #2 atlanta, #3 sacramento ca, #4 savannah ga, and #5 i will have to say tampa fl, tied with charolette nc.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:47 PM

i really wish more cities would plant trees so they can have the beauty of coral gables, or inner sacramento, or even west hills houston. trees provide shade and beauty two neccesiites to hapiness. i dont realize why cities dont all do this, must be too lazy or funding.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:04 AM

2,343 posts, read 2,752,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowboy06 View Post
i really wish more cities would plant trees so they can have the beauty of coral gables, or inner sacramento, or even west hills houston. trees provide shade and beauty two neccesiites to hapiness. i dont realize why cities dont all do this, must be too lazy or funding.
Um, no such place exists. Did you mean West University Place? West U is nice, lots of trees... but the really nicely wooded neighborhoods in Houston are Boulevard Oaks (where North Blvd is), Southampton, Woodland Heights, and River Oaks.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:42 AM

79 posts, read 103,237 times
Missoula Montana has a lot of trees

Old 12-11-2014, 01:03 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,317,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
The problem with "object" data is that the definition of tree cover is subjective. This is why the data I posted from the Forest Service on page one of this thread is different from the data from National Geographic on page three.

In cities like Minneapolis, Austin, San Francisco, and Buffalo, there are a lot of trees for sure, but few neighborhoods have a dense, dark canopy. Whereas, in cities like Houston and Baltimore, some neighborhoods look like they're built on the floor of the Amazon, while other neighborhoods have no trees at all.

Striking a balance between quantity of trees, size of trees, shade quality, and number of areas sans trees is messy and complicated, hence the debate you here in this tread.

Overall, I'd say the South beats the North here because the trees are bigger in the South (longer growing season). Washington DC, Chapel Hill, Charlotte, Greenville, Nashville, Atlanta, Richmond, and Birmingham seem equally lush to me.
Do we WANT a dark canopy? Is that preferred/winning? I wouldn't say so, but that's also debatable to most here, I'm sure!

Also, could part of the reason Chicago, Philly, NYC don't perform better is because their built environment is so dense that trees can't cover it? I notice that in Chicago at least, when typical 50-60 foot trees can't completely cover the 3-4 story homes in much of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or