U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which US City Needs A Professional Sports Franchise?
Las Vegas 31 25.00%
Austin 17 13.71%
Hartford 5 4.03%
New Haven 2 1.61%
Richmond / Virginia Beach 21 16.94%
Birmingham 12 9.68%
Des Moines 6 4.84%
Omaha 4 3.23%
Wichita 0 0%
Louisville 17 13.71%
El Paso 4 3.23%
Tulsa 0 0%
Tucson 1 0.81%
Boise 4 3.23%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-09-2014, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Chicago
589 posts, read 618,129 times
Reputation: 450

Advertisements

The city with the most famous American Baseball Bat factory and company dosent have a Pro baseball team. Problem? Yes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-10-2014, 02:31 AM
 
707 posts, read 1,010,400 times
Reputation: 408
Virginia beach area needs something. They've got to be the biggest area in the U.S that doesn't even have a legit college team, let alone a pro one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2014, 05:26 AM
 
Location: Terramaria
774 posts, read 841,779 times
Reputation: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownWonder View Post
The city with the most famous American Baseball Bat factory and company dosent have a Pro baseball team. Problem? Yes...
Not to mention two other AAA cities, Indianapolis and Nashville, could definitely support the Sluggers. The Braves would still have a large territory, the Cardinals would still have Memphis as their "AAA city", and the Reds would still have Columbus as their top farm. Louisville is still in a fairly dense part of the country so there are some filler cities that could back it. MLB could easily expand to 32 teams like the NFL has since for many years the NL had 16 teams. The other expansion would be a toss-up between Charlotte, Raleigh, New Orleans, Las Vegas, or Portland.

Omaha doesn't really need a team and I always see it as Kansas City's AAA equivalent. However, it could have an NHL team in the Western Conference since it has two teams fewer than the East. It's not too far from Minnesota, the leading state with hockey talent, but far enough where it not only could support its own but have the Kansas City market tap into it. I'd give the other NHL team to Boise (if Portland or Salt Lake doesn't get it).

Unfortunately, while Las Vegas is large enough, its still mainly a transplant city and given the sports gambling ego it provides just doesn't fit for pro level teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2014, 06:34 AM
 
21,191 posts, read 30,372,337 times
Reputation: 19627
Those who keep saying Las Vegas and Virginia Beach don't get sports demographics. The Florida markets (Miami, Tampa and Orlando mostly) have proven that even with winning programs, attendance/fan support isn't guaranteed due to high transient populations with fan allegiance to other "home teams" and where disposable income isn't on par with much of the country...very much like Las Vegas. San Diego, the 8th largest city in the US (and a major military town like Virginia Beach) has the 4th worst attendance numbers in the NFL despite having a playoff caliber team year in/year out. The Phoenix pro franchises (from the 4th largest city in the country) are attendance cellar dwellers in their respective leagues (NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL) for the same transient-oriented reasons and via disposable income as well. Why in the world would anyone in terms of ownership place a team in a market where disposable income and fan allegiance are proven issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2014, 08:36 AM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,320 posts, read 21,890,925 times
Reputation: 33486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
I'd like to see Iowa get an MLB team. They love their baseball out there in Field of Dreams country.
absolutely no one in Iowa refers to their state as "Field of Dreams country", where do you come up with this malarkey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownWonder View Post
The city with the most famous American Baseball Bat factory and company dosent have a Pro baseball team. Problem? Yes...
true, and Costa Rica should get a team too as that's where the baseballs come from
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2014, 12:32 PM
 
Location: VB
420 posts, read 363,973 times
Reputation: 263
Richmond can't even figure out a long-term solution for a venue for AA baseball (which was also a key factor in the loss of its AAA team six years ago). Minor league hockey failed there twice in the last dozen years. Interest has been bigger for college basketball (ACC, and recently VCU under Shaka Smart) than the NBA, and football? It's a Redskins outpost, end of story.

The unique political structure of Virginia's localities (independent cities model) adds extra challenges; the Richmond metro may have a population of 1.2 million, but less than 20% of that lives in the city itself. Neighboring Chesterfield and Henrico counties (which together account for more than half the metro population) aren't going to help fund a new baseball stadium in the city, nor would they be likely to help with a hypothetical Richmond Coliseum renovation or replacement to attract a basketball team. Similarly, the cities of Hampton Roads are often at odds with respect to development -- there's very little sense of regionalism here. VB has a much larger population than Richmond, though, so it's easier for them to do something like the Oceanfront arena.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2014, 02:50 PM
 
Location: Cleveland
3,179 posts, read 3,848,403 times
Reputation: 2478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
absolutely no one in Iowa refers to their state as "Field of Dreams country", where do you come up with this malarkey?



true, and Costa Rica should get a team too as that's where the baseballs come from
Isn't Iowa, in fact, where Field of Dreams took place, and filmed? I didn't say anyone referred to it as that, I referred to that, simply to reference the movie. And Iowa in my mind is really where this pastoral game was meant to be played. It's incredibly popular, with Field of Dreams like ball fields cropping up all over the place among the corn fields.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2014, 11:55 PM
 
707 posts, read 1,010,400 times
Reputation: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Those who keep saying Las Vegas and Virginia Beach don't get sports demographics. The Florida markets (Miami, Tampa and Orlando mostly) have proven that even with winning programs, attendance/fan support isn't guaranteed due to high transient populations with fan allegiance to other "home teams" and where disposable income isn't on par with much of the country...very much like Las Vegas. San Diego, the 8th largest city in the US (and a major military town like Virginia Beach) has the 4th worst attendance numbers in the NFL despite having a playoff caliber team year in/year out. The Phoenix pro franchises (from the 4th largest city in the country) are attendance cellar dwellers in their respective leagues (NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL) for the same transient-oriented reasons and via disposable income as well. Why in the world would anyone in terms of ownership place a team in a market where disposable income and fan allegiance are proven issues?
Not necessarily true on the florida thing. the Orlando magic do pretty well, especially for a team that no one has expected to do anything for the last 3 years. The lightning do well and the bucs used to even when they weren't great they just need a culture change right now. I agree that Miami's an awful sports town though unless their teams have major star power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2014, 06:15 AM
 
21,191 posts, read 30,372,337 times
Reputation: 19627
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA17 View Post
Not necessarily true on the florida thing. the Orlando magic do pretty well, especially for a team that no one has expected to do anything for the last 3 years. The lightning do well and the bucs used to even when they weren't great they just need a culture change right now. I agree that Miami's an awful sports town though unless their teams have major star power.
Orlando is a one horse town in terms of pro sports (and things to do largely), and the NBA along with the NHL feature smaller attendance venues with average numbers for each game around 16K. The Magic average 16K (bottom third in NBA attendance) in a metro area with a population of 2.1 million people, and no overlapping competition from the NFL, MLB or NHL. The Tampa Bay Lightning are contenders fairly often (leading their division this year) and the Tampa Bay area unlike the other major metro areas in Florida has a large transplant population of hockey-loving Midwesterners (and people from the Midwest in general).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2014, 04:16 PM
 
707 posts, read 1,010,400 times
Reputation: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Orlando is a one horse town in terms of pro sports (and things to do largely), and the NBA along with the NHL feature smaller attendance venues with average numbers for each game around 16K. The Magic average 16K (bottom third in NBA attendance) in a metro area with a population of 2.1 million people, and no overlapping competition from the NFL, MLB or NHL. The Tampa Bay Lightning are contenders fairly often (leading their division this year) and the Tampa Bay area unlike the other major metro areas in Florida has a large transplant population of hockey-loving Midwesterners (and people from the Midwest in general).
the Orlando area may have 2.1 million people but that's small for a pro market(20th in the nba) and their attendance this year is 19th. I think that's not bad for a team with no star power in the 3rd year of a rebuilding project that hasn't shown much promise so far in a transient market where half the people have a different favorite team. Yeah it's a one horse sports town but there's plenty of sports options nearby.

Does having hockey loving midwesterners really help the lightning that much though? I don't expect most of them to just hop on the lightning bandwagon after years of supporting some other team. There's plenty of other things to do in the tampa area and I don't see all those jets fans in Miami hopping on the dolphins or bears fans in jville going for the jags, etc. so I don't know if that could apply to the Lightning. What we do know about Tampa is that hockey can work their if the team is decent unlike baseball.

Another one I gotta throw in is the Miami Hurricanes. I've never seen a stadium so empty for a half decent team in a power 5 conference that has a great history(unless they're playing fsu or something)..WOW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top