Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US City Needs A Professional Sports Franchise?
Las Vegas 31 25.00%
Austin 17 13.71%
Hartford 5 4.03%
New Haven 2 1.61%
Richmond / Virginia Beach 21 16.94%
Birmingham 12 9.68%
Des Moines 6 4.84%
Omaha 4 3.23%
Wichita 0 0%
Louisville 17 13.71%
El Paso 4 3.23%
Tulsa 0 0%
Tucson 1 0.81%
Boise 4 3.23%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 12:01 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,399,746 times

Advertisements

Hartford could use a hockey team. 30th market and its in the hockey belt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 07:47 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,898,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
There is no way I would think a university could or would entertain this idea. Besides competition for the entertainment dollar, a university would have to figure out a way to configure a schedule that includes 16 or so men's games 16 or so women's games and 41 home dates for the pro team probably 25 or 30 of which would fall during the collegiate season.

I'd hate to be the guy doing the scheduling for the arena.
The MCI Center in DC plays host to the Washington Wizards (NBA), Caps (NHL), Georgetown Hoyas college Men's basketball, and the Mystics (WNBA). Staples Center hosts 2 NBA teams and an NHL team, and numerous other venues have both NHL and NBA. I don't think a college team and an NBA team are a problem if they wanted to make it work.

Old 12-25-2014, 07:24 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
There is no way I would think a university could or would entertain this idea. Besides competition for the entertainment dollar, a university would have to figure out a way to configure a schedule that includes 16 or so men's games 16 or so women's games and 41 home dates for the pro team probably 25 or 30 of which would fall during the collegiate season.

I'd hate to be the guy doing the scheduling for the arena.
Louisville could be a great NBA city since basketball is so big in the region. It was a good ABA city that won a championship and got snubbed for political reasons during the merger with the NBA. And it has a great arena (probably better than 80% of current NBA arenas) that is only a couple years old. Most years this is a top 5 tv market for viewership of the NBA draft and championship and always the top market for March Madness.

The problem is here the NBA question gets tied in with "Do you root for Univ of Louisville or Univ of Kentucky" so you split the community on the issue and a small market must be united to support a pro team. The main voice for bringing the NBA here hates U of Lou. and constantly makes desparaging remarks about the school. He's also a bit of a loon, always talking about some millionaire in Europe who died and left him money to pursue a team LOL. I think if the pro NBA people had real leader we could get a team.

Personally I'm a big U of Lou. fan and went to school there but I think pro sports would be great for the city. People follow pro teams that are far away while college support is much more local / political boundary based. There are lots of Colts fans down here but no Butler fans. A lot of Bengals fans into Eastern KY but no Univ of Cincinnati or Xavier fans. The NBA is a fast growing sport, probably more popular now than the MLB. IF the NBA did come I hope it would not still be named "Kentucky Colonels". Has there ever been a pro team with the state name that was located right on the border from another state? That would be like the Portland Trailblazers being the Oregon Trailblazers or the Florida Jaguars rather than Jacksonville. Goofy

Last edited by censusdata; 12-25-2014 at 07:33 AM..

Old 07-16-2018, 06:43 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
The city of Richmond commissioned a study to see if it can support pro teams. The conclusion was it can, but it's behind several other cities ranked by cities without a pro team of any sort who can support one:

1) Austin
2) Louisville
3) Norfolk/Hampton Roads
4) Richmond
5) Birmingham

http://ftpcontent4.worldnow.com/wave..._18_bp_opt.pdf

Here are the criteria the study used:

§ Market Power
§ Committed, Financed Ownership Group
§ City willing to Finance a Facility
§ HSP Focused on Market Power Primarily
§ TV Market Size/Wealth
§ Growth In Population
§ Large Companies
§ Household Income (# of HH’s over $100k)
§ GDP
§ Presence of Existing Major or Minor League Teams
§ Presence of Major College Programs
§ Las Vegas Effect: Adult Tourism
§ Central City/Primary Draw

Any thoughts? Louisville is making a strong push for NBA and MLS. I think it's got a good shot at one of those.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:14 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
Boise actually would seem to be a very strategic city fanbase wise for a region stretching from western Washington state and Oregon through Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and even into the Dakota's.
No, this is completely wrong. Western WA and Oregon supporting a Boise pro franchise? Will never happen. (Understand this is an old post)...That said, Boise has a strong college BSU football program, but it ends there. Then it is minor league baseball and hockey, as it should be in a market that size.

I'm sure it has already been mentioned but Vegas is now automatically out of this poll, with the new NHL franchise and the upcoming move of the Raiders.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:52 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,476,947 times
Louisville easily! Basketball

Old 07-17-2018, 09:47 AM

1,180 posts, read 984,225 times
Birmingham. It's becoming a more desirable place live and a sports team would go a long way.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:56 AM

1,023 posts, read 912,505 times
I think Louisville can support it but I would rather Richmond get it lol. Our mayor is in the process of trying to get the Richmond Coliseum replaced. I think that NFL would have a tough time here because this is a huge Redskins area but the NBA could do just fine. Give Louisville MLB/MLS and give Richmond NBA.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:08 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Scientist View Post
Birmingham. It's becoming a more desirable place live and a sports team would go a long way.
It would need a larger population base since Atlanta is so close by.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:59 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It would need a larger population base since Atlanta is so close by.
Totally agree. Austin and Louisville make the most sense by far IMO, but eastern VA certainly deserves a shake too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.