U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 06:13 AM

112 posts, read 77,218 times

Advertisements

Hello all. My wife and I have been looking at places to move, and it looks like our criteria has changed. I was diagnosed with a health issue this week that is made worse by humid weather. We had been concentrating our search more to the eastern US, but the east is humid. So we are now searching for an area where the humidity and air pollution are more tolerable.

We are a couple in our late 20's, degrees in accounting and marketing, who love the outdoors. We also have a two year old son. We are looking for an area that is safe, with good schools, and close to cultural amenities, such as art museums, museums, theater. We don't need a large city, but we don't want a small town either. Any help would be appreciated, and if you need any more info, feel free to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 06:24 AM

338 posts, read 405,000 times
Colorado Springs, CO?

Old 12-08-2014, 06:25 AM

21,185 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Check out Santa Fe, New Mexico. It's among the 10 cities with the cleanest air in the US and also among the top 10 with the lowest humidity. Albuquerque is among the cleanest biggest cities in terms of air quality so perhaps the northern suburbs could work well for you in terms of access to more job opportunity if Santa Fe's job market proves to be too limited.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Check out Santa Fe, New Mexico. It's among the 10 cities with the cleanest air in the US and also among the top 10 with the lowest humidity. Albuquerque is among the cleanest biggest cities in terms of air quality so perhaps the northern suburbs could work well for you in terms of access to more job opportunity if Santa Fe's job market proves to be too limited.
Do you know how the schools are in either area? I've heard the New Mexico economy isn't that great, but only anecdotally, so maybe it would be worth checking out.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:30 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,389,357 times
Santa Fe is very expensive, and the schools arent great from what Ive read. The NM economy isnt good, either. I would look into Colorado Springs, CO, as the economy is better there, and the air quality is good.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:23 PM

56,533 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Fort Collins CO, Laramie WY, Missoula MT, Boise ID and Tucson AZ may work.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:34 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,510,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Fort Collins CO, Laramie WY, Missoula MT, Boise ID and Tucson AZ may work.
Missoula for sure, I'd also add Billings to the list. But Tucson, being in a valley can get rather smoggy.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:35 PM

18,081 posts, read 22,924,480 times
Hmmm, well my suggestion for Sacramento on your other thread won't work for you then, because the air quality is bad in the Central Valley because of the agricultural practices in the area, mainly.

And your other criteria was walkability and affordability, if I remember correctly.

So, as far as California goes, anyway, you'd have to be in the mountains or on the coast for the best air quality. Anywhere in CA will be low humidity.

To get affordable, with the above, you could look at the Monterey area. The job market is not huge, but my daughter got a good job there. She ended up moving back to the SF Bay Area for an even better job after quite a few years, but my point is that there are jobs in that area. Weather is perfect, air quality is great.

Next, I'd look at Eureka/Arcata area. Again, not a huge area for jobs, but worth checking out. Very fun area with mild weather year round, great air quality and fairly affordable.

I don't know if there would be an area in the mountains that would be big enough for you, or if you'd want to deal with snow, but the air quality at Lake Tahoe is fantastic. I love driving up there, and getting out of my car and just breathing deep - such a great smell of pine forest. Ahhhhh. But, not real walkable - pretty much car oriented up there, from what I understand.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Santa Fe is very expensive, and the schools arent great from what Ive read. The NM economy isnt good, either. I would look into Colorado Springs, CO, as the economy is better there, and the air quality is good.
The front range is on our list (it was actually the only place out west we had on the previous list) but I have heard Colorado Springs is very conservative. We are more liberal leaning, so that is a little bit of a concern for me, as one of the reasons we were looking to move in the first place was the political and religious ways of the south. So I guess my question is, is Colorado Springs really that conservative?

Old 12-08-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Hmmm, well my suggestion for Sacramento on your other thread won't work for you then, because the air quality is bad in the Central Valley because of the agricultural practices in the area, mainly.

And your other criteria was walkability and affordability, if I remember correctly.

So, as far as California goes, anyway, you'd have to be in the mountains or on the coast for the best air quality. Anywhere in CA will be low humidity.

To get affordable, with the above, you could look at the Monterey area. The job market is not huge, but my daughter got a good job there. She ended up moving back to the SF Bay Area for an even better job after quite a few years, but my point is that there are jobs in that area. Weather is perfect, air quality is great.

Next, I'd look at Eureka/Arcata area. Again, not a huge area for jobs, but worth checking out. Very fun area with mild weather year round, great air quality and fairly affordable.

I don't know if there would be an area in the mountains that would be big enough for you, or if you'd want to deal with snow, but the air quality at Lake Tahoe is fantastic. I love driving up there, and getting out of my car and just breathing deep - such a great smell of pine forest. Ahhhhh. But, not real walkable - pretty much car oriented up there, from what I understand.
We would enjoy a walkable area, but it isn't a deal breaker. Snow is fine with us, in fact, we rather enjoy the cold and snow. How far is Lake Tahoe from Reno? Jobs are a priority, but our professions allow for some leeway, as accounting is needed everywhere, and marketing is useful for most companies, resorts, and even cities. The area looks beautiful, so assuming the schools are okay, I may just add it to the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or