U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think New England feels claustrophobic?
Yes 35 29.17%
No 85 70.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 12:58 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,123,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Ok, but I live here and really don't get you're feeling.
Well that's because you're in western Mass. CT feels much more claustrophobic than western MA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 01:01 PM

6,040 posts, read 4,435,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I don't know, I don't care what anyone else in this forum says, but I still think it's a VERY claustrophobic place to live, particularly southern New England. There's no sense of freedom, space, speed, etc. As soon as you enter New York, it's like a breath of fresh air and feels like you entered a new country.
Before I post anything more, I wonder if you'd share where you have spent time outside of NE and for how long.

Old 12-09-2014, 01:10 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,053,328 times
Quote:
Well that's because you're in western Mass. CT feels much more claustrophobic than western MA.
Western MA is part of New England.

Perhaps the title of your thread should have been 'Connecticut feels Claustrophobic?'? IMO, New England as a whole is not.

Old 12-09-2014, 01:38 PM

107 posts, read 118,320 times
It will be look from the outside, very unrelated to the question which is asked for people who live, lived or know New have been to New England but, oddly enough, I have similar view of the issue.

It seems to me, when I look on the United States map or think about the New England in particular, I have a feeling that people must literally choke themselves up, if you now what I mean. And I mean, New Engalnd is to be compared as a whole to New York, or any other state expect Delaware, not only for territory, but also for some elite, some different society New Englanders makes for themselves. I do not even consider Boston as such a same class city as Pheonix, even if the population of metropolitan area is similar. I have a feeling that it is still town, as any larger community in New England, no matter how much populated.

I have similar feelings in Europe also, to me space is very precious and very important factor, it influences my perception, even if tehere is no reason present (like this Boston - Phoenix, same populated, I have totally different view of them, or like this highway issue presented by eschaton - I know that highways are for the sole puropuse, but different to me is higway in New England and in endless spaces elsewhere). In Continental Europe there are similar places to New England in this, it's the the Switzerland, or maybe northern Scandinavia region. Claustrophobia, not only geographical, but mental, which makes me sick and making me want to return how fast as I can to widespreed, somewhat untouched and open spaces of Eastern Europe, when people and societies are also very open, that streches under the Urals and around mighty Volga. Not to mention West Siberia.

It may seem nonsense to you. But is fact when comes to me.

So I cast my yea for clauststophobia in New England. Territorial, societal and mental isolation. No offense for New Englanders, you are good Yankee people. But you seem as much isolated from the everyday's American business (not only referring to economy) as the Swiss seem isolated from Western European evereday's life, no matter Paris, Milan, Rome, Brussels, Stuttgart or Barcelona. Maybe influence of those shores, maybe state of mind north of Hudson river, or maybe something that characterize only your kind in particular.

And ILNative - Trees - may be an issue or not, similarly tothe mountains. I do not consider Smokies or West Siberia or even Amazon, in any form claustrophobical, no matter how much densely forested, nearly entrirely covered by the forest they are. And I consider downtown Boston as much claustrophobical, even when there is no single forest present there.

Just take a look at this Tennessee River landscape:
http://www.visitusa.com/assets/visitusa/images/tennessee/tennessee-rivers/3899/tennessee-river-blueway-gallery-gorge-8-0.jpg

Or my beloved taiga, whether Alaska, Canada or Russia:
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f4/aa/80/f4aa8084b80435c30e43982cee661006.jpg
Vasyugan River (no, not Yenisey ), Siberia:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...d/Vasyugan.jpg
It is as much opposite to New England as this:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3268/2...5bd88512_z.jpg

Old 12-09-2014, 01:42 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,398,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Lol, I just remembered something from a few years ago.

If New England is so claustrophobic, why did a mountain lion travel 1,500 miles from South Dakota to the suburbs of Fairfield County, Connecticut?

However not surprisingly, upon reaching Fairfield County the Mountain Lion was run over by a SUV!
Haha, I remember that...the lion was spotted in northern Wisconsin a couple times, then "disappeared" for some time (maybe up through Canada?) making it literally thousands of miles...only to be hit by an SUV.

Old 12-09-2014, 01:44 PM

6,040 posts, read 4,435,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yenisey View Post
It will be look from the outside, very unrelated to the question which is asked for people who live, lived or know New have been to New England but, oddly enough, I have similar view of the issue.
So you've never been to New England or have you?

Old 12-09-2014, 01:52 PM

12,419 posts, read 11,926,143 times
Quote:
The idea of moving back "home" to Connecticut makes me want to contemplate suicide (I'm half kidding), but I 100% understand this is because I had an unhappy childhood and thus have negative associations. I'm guessing it's the same for the O.P.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:24 PM

107 posts, read 118,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
So you've never been to New England or have you?
Sorry, this statement you quoted is wrong, it has a part that I was going to overwrite and the overwritten part. I understand that you cannot understand it at all.

My point was this.

I have never been to New England.
Interesting is fact, that I have similar feelings as someone from inside New England.
Notice to everyone who reads my post, that all I have wrote, is slightly less serious than opinion of anyone from inside of U.S. for obvious reasons.

Last edited by Yenisey; 12-09-2014 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: Wrong word

Old 12-09-2014, 03:03 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,650,279 times
Quote:
I don't know, I don't care what anyone else in this forum says, but I still think it's a VERY claustrophobic place to live, particularly southern New England. There's no sense of freedom, space, speed, etc. As soon as you enter New York, it's like a breath of fresh air and feels like you entered a new country.

Then why on earth did you post not only a topic, but a poll, asking what others think?? ...

Quote:
Does anyone else have the feeling that New England is a claustrophobic feeling place?

Old 12-09-2014, 03:07 PM

9,431 posts, read 18,331,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Then why on earth did you post not only a topic, but a poll, asking what others think?? ...
Don't try to reason with him. The same poster often opens threads on a suggested location to move to in another part of the country. Then almost always weighs heavily on all the cons and lists all the stereotypes and ill informed perceptions of the place and reverts back to why in his mind, New England is a superior place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or