U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think New England feels claustrophobic?
Yes 35 29.17%
No 85 70.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 03:17 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,152,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Don't try to reason with him. The same poster often opens threads on a suggested location to move to in another part of the country. Then almost always weighs heavily on all the cons and lists all the stereotypes and ill informed perceptions of the place and reverts back to why in his mind, New England is a superior place.
Well duh....I'm not just gonna move somewhere on a whim. Gotta weigh the cons. I prefer to focus on the negatives, because they affect me more than positives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 03:31 PM

9,451 posts, read 18,372,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well duh....I'm not just gonna move somewhere on a whim. Gotta weigh the cons. I prefer to focus on the negatives, because they affect me more than positives.

Of course the negatives affect you more, because it's what you choose to focus on the most. That would be the inevitable outcome. No matter where you go your experience will be negative since that is your primary focus. The rest is just geography.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 12-09-2014 at 03:55 PM..

Old 12-09-2014, 03:54 PM

2,820 posts, read 1,154,306 times
It's all a matter of perspective. Growing up in the Midwest or Plains, many people tire of the open fields and emptiness while people who grow up in New England get tired of low density towns and villages everywhere.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:03 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,658,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Don't try to reason with him. The same poster often opens threads on a suggested location to move to in another part of the country. Then almost always weighs heavily on all the cons and lists all the stereotypes and ill informed perceptions of the place and reverts back to why in his mind, New England is a superior place.
Oh I'm fully aware of his "issues." I read his threads purely for entertainment Just had to point out that little fact, even though I know it went right over his head.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Oh I'm fully aware of his "issues." I read his threads purely for entertainment Just had to point out that little fact, even though I know it went right over his head.
That's not nice. I'm human, too, and have no issues to speak of. People on these forums have painted me as someone with "issues." The truth of the matter is that I like to discuss things in intense detail, depth and continuous scrutiny, and voice my opinion. I don't see a problem with this. I've been posting for 8 years now and have earned a level of seniority on these forums that no one else can compete with. It is what it is, okay? God.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:26 PM

6,436 posts, read 9,972,323 times
I have family in Connecticut in the Plainfield area and I've been to Hartford as well. Connecticut is small but it didn't strike me as claustrophobic. More rural than anything. At least in Plainfield anyway.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:41 PM

7,141 posts, read 9,927,686 times
Quote:
Does anyone else have the feeling that New England is a claustrophobic feeling place? I lived here almost my entire life and feel this way.

Maybe it's just the psychological aspect of it...I don't know. But when I've taken cross country road trips and I'm on my way back home, the difference is hugely noticeable. As soon as you enter Massachusetts via I-90 coming from NY, it feels like you entered a tiny claustrophobic state. Even worse is when you enter Connecticut via I-84 coming from NY. And then you see a new town line sign like every 4 miles, the entire way through the state, and sequential ordering of exit numbers, which makes it even worse, along with feeling being surrounded tightly by trees to make it feel even worse. There are barely any rest areas either, because virtually every exit will lead you to a gas station or restaurant.

In New England, it feels like the interstates were planned around pre-existing development. But in other states it feels like much of the development is planned around the pre-existing interstate.

Do any other New Englanders (or travelers) feel the same way as I do, after living here for decades? I just feel like the rest of the nation has it so much better, with true freedom, space, boulevards, etc.

Has anyone ever left New England for this reason?
Quote:
I don't know, I don't care what anyone else in this forum says, but I still think it's a VERY claustrophobic place to live, particularly southern New England. There's no sense of freedom, space, speed, etc. As soon as you enter New York, it's like a breath of fresh air and feels like you entered a new country.
From looking at the comments about Massachusetts and Connecticut, I wonder if part of the problem is that you are creating an artificial wall for yourself when you box off New England from the rest of the country.

What I am trying to say is this, you live in Norwalk, CT. Your closest neighboring state is not another New England state like Massachusetts, its New York, which borders Fairfield county on the west and the on the south. Then your next closest neighbor is New Jersey, which comes quite close to southwest Connecticut.

It even looks to me like you can get to northern Pennsylvania faster then New Hampshire or Maine. Just take route 7 up to I-84 and zip westward for an hour or so. Not sure but maybe you can even get to Philadelphia faster then Boston (?) (depends on traffic?).

In a nutshell you live just a few minutes from the "fresh air" you describe for the I-84 in New York State. But the problem is that you are walling off your closest neighbors because they are not part of New England. And the open less "claustrophobic" areas of New England itself; rural Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine, are pretty far away from you so you do not feel the benefit.

Does that make any sense?

Old 12-09-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
After reading your threads for a little while i have a simple conclusion: Move
Take the risk, pull up your pants and move. If you dont like it you can always move somewhere else or go back to CT. As long as you sit in CT you are just being held back and will remain miserable.
Theres 49 other states to see out there so get moving.
Who do you think I am....a minimum wage worker with no degree that can just pick up and move anywhere? No. I'm a white collar highly paid professional that must act responsibly and wisely when it comes to planning moves. I can't just "pick up and leave." Employers want to see some degree of stability when making hiring decisions.

It seems like too many people in these forums encourage a nomadic lifestyle with no commitment to career, property, family or whatever. Most people can't just pick up and move without potentially facing serious repercussions.

Ask almost anyone outside of these forums (in real life) whether they think it's a good idea for a professional corporate tax accountant to just quit their job with no job lined up and move somewhere new and live off of savings. No one does that.

I really wish these forums showed details about each poster, with regard to their age, marital status, educational attainment, income, etc. That way, I can make a judgment as to how much stock I should place in the poster's "advice."

In my opinion, the advice on these forums given by anyone under the age of 25 is essentially useless for a 30 year old like myself. Or the advice of anyone who doesn't have a college degree. Not to offend anyone, but they have a completely different perspective and thought pattern than someone like me who is a little more "seasoned" in life, is educated, and has my finances well together.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:46 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,992 posts, read 42,070,148 times
a view taken from the top of a firetower 15 miles away from me. Not crowded at all. But with all the trees, some might find it claustrophobic. Photo taken by me

rural road on the way there

more open spots:

Old 12-09-2014, 05:10 PM

3,399 posts, read 4,816,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
a view taken from the top of a firetower 15 miles away from me. Not crowded at all. But with all the trees, some might find it claustrophobic. Photo taken by me

rural road on the way there

more open spots:

Dang! I was just about to start agreeing with the OP, but you posted those pics...and then I began to miss home! Blast you nei!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or