Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think New England feels claustrophobic?
Yes 35 29.17%
No 85 70.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 08:05 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbanzoBeans View Post
Not sure what you mean by this. The only heavily forested states are Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine.
This map shows that all of New England is heavily forested:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 08:22 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
I am sure it was mentioned upthread (hell, I might have mentioned it) but New England was cruddy land to farm in with stony soils - in large part due to the ice ages repeatedly scraping off the region's topsoil and depositing it in Long Island. As a result, as soon as the western frontier opened up in the early 19th century those who wanted to farm moved west, and most of the land (outside of fertile regions like the Connecticut River valley) was essentially returned to nature as second-growth forest. This is painfully clear to anyone who spends time hiking in the woods in New England, as you will invariably eventually find remnants of either an old stone wall or an abandoned house foundation.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:09 PM

115 posts, read 96,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
This map shows that all of New England is heavily forested:

Yes, for a very specific type of biomass, which doesn't tell the whole story.

CT, MA and RI are literally no different than most of NJ.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:56 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I am sure it was mentioned upthread (hell, I might have mentioned it) but New England was cruddy land to farm in with stony soils -
Seasonal freezing 'heaves' stones in the soil up toward the surface. So every year we have a fresh crop of rocks.

Lack of seasonal droughts [which are so common in most of the continant] means that we have lush vegetation year -round.

Lack of cyclic droughts mean that perennials do not die off every 4 to 8 years. They thrive.

I have trails on my land that need to b e bush-hogged every 3 to 4 years to keep the forest from swallowing them.

In New England, any pasture or clearing will see trees encroaching every year from the treeline. It takes a lot of work to clear a field. Then every year it takes more work to maintain that field cleared.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:17 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbanzoBeans View Post
Yes, for a very specific type of biomass, which doesn't tell the whole story.

CT, MA and RI are literally no different than most of NJ.
I was comparing MA with upstate NY not NJ; the forest cover difference is obvious

Old 06-12-2017, 10:38 PM

1,122 posts, read 925,690 times
the traffic between Hartford and anywhere going southwest on 84 has simply reached NIGHTMARE LEVELS.

i travel through Connecticut after 9pm only.... and unfortunately, often.

a typical thursday or friday, an hour or so after noon in the warm months driving up from the Tappan Zee, i can cruise 287 coming up from i-81 and 78, or from i-80 and the Delaware River Gap... the minute you hit 684, it can be 4-6 hours getting up to, past, and through the peak traffic of Hartford.

It's TOTALLY INSANE.

get up to Mass, NH, Maine, etc, it's much better... even when you factor in the Boston and RT128 traffic.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:57 PM

123 posts, read 160,229 times
Everything you're envying sounds like a nightmare, wide open freeways? Are you serious?

The compact towns of New England are walkable and transit friendly, that is a MASSIVE advantage compared to the rest of the country.

Part of me thinks this might be an elaborate troll post.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:25 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I was comparing MA with upstate NY not NJ; the forest cover difference is obvious
Massachussets has 60% forest cover (3 million acres : UMass Amherst) to New York's 63% (19 million acres : NYS DEC)

When you travel due west from the Berkshires, you are traveling from the most densely forested part of Massachussets into the Hudson/Mohawk confluence and then onto the Finger Lakes region which are indeed the least forested and most farmed part of NYS. So the contrast would seem great.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:31 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Massachussets has 60% forest cover (3 million acres : UMass Amherst) to New York's 63% (19 million acres : NYS DEC)
hmm... I live in the western part of the state which is less developed. Definitely more forested and less farmland mixed in the hills than much of upstate NY (thinking of Finger Lakes & southern Tier). Endless forest, taken by in the hills west of the Connecticut River valley. Also, sometimes forestland refers to only "useful for timber". A lot of central and eastern MA is tree covered but the land is large lot residential with some conservation land mixed in that would uneconomical for timber production.

Old 06-13-2017, 01:30 PM

115 posts, read 96,812 times
The Adirondacks are larger than Vermont and New Hampshire. Whats your point?

Cherry picking a region within Upstate NY that has marginally less forestry than all of Massachusetts?

Southern New England is literally no different than New Jersey.

Northern New England is pretty different to Southern, which is more similar to the Adirondacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.