U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 09:23 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,048,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I'm coming from CO here, where the closest thing we have to a bug is an ant. But, in the Eastern US, the obnoxious insects appear. Chiggers are the one insect that has really got me scared though. They sound like they are much worse than ticks. Are they everywhere in the Southeast? Are they really that bad? If I were to go romping through a Arkansas woods in August, would I come out with a bunch of them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 06:36 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,730,937 times
I used to get eaten up by chiggars all the time in western Kentucky. In Kentucky chiggars and ticks are really bad and if you get into the woods during summer, I don't care if you have long pants on, boots or anything, you're gonna get some chiggars...even in the tall grass in the fields sometimes too.

http://www2.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef630.asp

Chiggar time in central Kentucky (article)

http://www.centralkynews.com/amnews/...e2ecba846.html

Old 12-13-2014, 08:56 AM

3,192 posts, read 2,642,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
I used to get eaten up by chiggars all the time in western Kentucky. In Kentucky chiggars and ticks are really bad and if you get into the woods during summer, I don't care if you have long pants on, boots or anything, you're gonna get some chiggars...even in the tall grass in the fields sometimes too.

Chiggers | University of Kentucky Entomology

Chiggar time in central Kentucky (article)

Chigger time in Kentucky - The Advocate Messenger: Agriculture
So it would be important to do a little research before moving somewhere to see if there is chiggers in a locality if you are interested in going out in the woods is what I'm gathering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.