U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 10:41 PM

3,195 posts, read 2,647,776 times

Advertisements

I'm coming from CO here, where the closest thing we have to a bug is an ant. But, in the Eastern US, the obnoxious insects appear. Chiggers are the one insect that has really got me scared though. They sound like they are much worse than ticks. Are they everywhere in the Southeast? Are they really that bad? If I were to go romping through a Arkansas woods in August, would I come out with a bunch of them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 08:07 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,141,695 times
We have chiggers in the mountains of CO. Along with swarms of mosquitos. Especially on the west slope, near the lakes atop Grand Mesa. Spent a summer weekend up there in high school and was eaten alive.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:13 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,852,623 times
That's racist.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:15 AM

3,201 posts, read 3,572,452 times
hehe

i lol'd and merged 2 words in my mind

then i remembered reading a can of wasp repellant

Old 12-09-2014, 10:12 AM

25,063 posts, read 23,951,957 times
Spray up before you go out. Problem solved. I've picked up chiggers a few times because I thought I was just going to walk into the scrub for a few minutes... I paid for that. I have a scar on my ankle from the chigger scratching. I know people who have had to go to the ER with chiggers. Spray, spray some more and carry it with you.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:26 AM

44,947 posts, read 36,237,009 times
I live in northeast Texas but grew up visiting a family farm in southwest Arkansas, which is only 3 hours away from where I currently live. The chiggers there would EAT ME ALIVE every time I visited, but I have no issue at all with them here just a short drive down the road.

Use DEET spray and you should be fine. Otherwise, prepare for intense itching and scratching!

Old 12-09-2014, 01:16 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,401,664 times
I hadn't the foggiest idea what they were until I started frequenting a spot in far SW Wisconsin that listed them as a nuisance some years back. It's a tall, steep and dry goat prairie that apparently (especially in spring) has chigger issues. Supposedly. I've still never seen/had an issue with a chigger in my life. We take precautions there like tucking jeans into boots, spraying, etc., just in case. Outside of this microclimate, I've never heard that they were an issue in Wisconsin, but I've never actually lived in the Driftless, only visited, so I could be wrong.

Now ticks and mosquitoes, I could tell some tales...

Old 12-09-2014, 02:51 PM

2,321 posts, read 3,008,758 times
I hate chiggers! We have a lot of them here and they put a damper on our earlier season hunting. They're not an issue though after the temperature drops into the 50's. Setting up stands pre season can suck. Just don't wear shorts. I made that mistake once. ONCE!

Definitely use a spray and long clothes when in their territory which can be any tall grasses for them to brush off onto your clothes. If you think you might have been around them change your clothes as soon as you get home and wash right away. They get on you by whatever they are on (such as tall grasses, young trees, socks, jeans) rubbing against your skin so minimal contact is recommended. They also sell a pantyhose type legging you can use under your jeans as an extra barrier.

Don't let any of this scare you from enjoying the woods though as the simplest precaution such as wearing long pants and socks/boots will keep the majority away.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:23 PM

6,355 posts, read 4,694,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
That's racist.

Should they be called chegroes?

Old 12-09-2014, 08:50 PM

3,195 posts, read 2,647,776 times
Ok, well this is good to know. It sounds like they are very spotty and not a general piece of the environment like mosquitoes are. I thought that if you had a good chance of getting these things when you walk out in the woods, it would definately be a deterrent from living in the Eastern US. But it sounds like they are occasionally in one area and you can avoid them by not having direct skin contact with bushes/grasses. Mosquitoes and ticks don't bother me as bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.