U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 12:03 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,370,854 times

Advertisements

Boston has several candidates, but I'd say the Charles River bikepath, since that's where you see the big fireworks display and the big public concerts at the Hatch Shell.

But at heart maybe it's really Fenway Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 12:07 PM

5,298 posts, read 3,513,713 times
There are two for Atlanta, Piedmont Park and Centennial Olympic Park.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:11 PM

548 posts, read 655,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
There are two for Atlanta, Piedmont Park and Centennial Olympic Park.
Really? I always thought that Peachtree Plaza right next to Five Points would be the perfect spot to round up a protest. Piedmont and Centennial Olympic Parks are both too big to be centers of activity.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:34 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,810,735 times
Miami Beach:
Locals: Lincoln Road
Tourists: Ocean Drive

Old 12-12-2014, 11:25 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,823 posts, read 33,222,901 times
San Antonio is either Alamo Plaza or Hemisfair Park. There have been public protests both places since I've lived here.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:36 AM
Status: "Got the rocking modern neon sound" (set 13 days ago)

2,045 posts, read 1,995,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
Boston has several candidates, but I'd say the Charles River bikepath, since that's where you see the big fireworks display and the big public concerts at the Hatch Shell.

But at heart maybe it's really Fenway Park.
I'd say that the main public gathering place is definitely the Boston Common.

And I'd also suggest Copley Square in addition to the Esplanade as other important public gathering places.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:42 AM

4,571 posts, read 7,036,454 times
In Detroit, Campus Martius or Hart Plaza. Sometimes in front of the DIA. The common link is that they're all along Woodward Avenue which is essentially main street.

Old 12-13-2014, 12:00 PM

4,945 posts, read 7,600,696 times
In San Diego it is probably Balboa Park, although I wouldn't really call that a gathering type place for a civic event like a Presidential acceptance speech or End of War type spontaneous gathering. It does regularly host 300k folks for the December Nights weekend.

The city is just now building/completing a type of civic plaza on Broadway in the heart of downtown at the Horton Plaza Park that I imagine will become a modest size type of gathering place of sorts for civic events.
State Gives Horton Plaza Park Project Nearly $5 Million Boost - Times of San Diego

Old 12-13-2014, 12:59 PM

5,298 posts, read 3,513,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProkNo5 View Post
Really? I always thought that Peachtree Plaza right next to Five Points would be the perfect spot to round up a protest. Piedmont and Centennial Olympic Parks are both too big to be centers of activity.
Then you would be wrong. Peachtree Plaza next to Five Points is nothing more than a characterless pedestrian plaza, and one that most people want to move through quickly.

Piedmont Park has been Atlanta's outdoor 'Living Room' since the Worlds Fair in 1895. Gay Pride, the Dogwood Festival, the Atlanta Arts Festival, major concerts and Music Midtown among other events are all held here. It is the City's signature park, and people from throughout the region flock to it - whether there is an event or not.

Centennial Olympic Park has become our new 'Town Center,' so to speak. A LOT of events happen here including many major concerts, a huge 4th of July celebration, an ice rink in the Winter, etc. With all of the museums and attractions ringing the park, it is always bustling with locals and tourists.

Most protests are held in front of the State Capitol building.

It might be a good idea to not be so dismissive when you obviously don't know what you are talking about.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:15 PM

87,014 posts, read 102,621,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
Denver = Sports Authority Field @ Mile High.
I was thinking Civic Center Park. That's where most of the protests are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.