Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 06:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I also mentioned Walgreens in my town. It was both to prove a point about the presence of chains in towns.

I'm not talking about Denver and other cities, I'm talking about smaller towns. My town is about 22,000. If they were to put a Wal-Mart here, well first it would be very noticeable and there is no true "good" spot for it at all, but I would not want it in our downtown. I would want it elsewhere in the town. I don't like large retail chains being in the center of town, the downtown. In quaint downtowns like mine, dominated by small businesses, it looks tacky IMO.
The first Walmart in our area was in Lafayette, CO, in 1987. At the time, the population of Lafayette was 13,995. Not only is Walmart d*mned if they do and d*mned if they don't, so are posters who are even a little supportive of WM's right to exist. If the anti-WMs complain that all the WMs are on the outskirts of small towns diverting shoppers from downtown and someone points out there are some in cities, well, that's bad too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 07:08 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,469,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
There are five Walmarts in LA city limits, but none in Hollywood. Maybe you thought the Sun Valley location was Hollywood? There is a Target in West Hollywood, maybe you are mixing the stores up?

The five locations are in Crenshaw, Porter Ranch, Canoga Park and Sun Valley. The fifth is in Chinatown but is just a "neighborhood market" aka grocery store. It is an urban format store, at the bottom of a multistory mixed use building.

Keep in mind the full size stores that are in city limits are at the very edge of LAs enormous boundaries - so the inner 70 square miles are Walmart-free other than the grocery format. The closest full size store is the Crenshaw location and that is about 7 miles from the core.
I meant a Target for that Hollywood location by bad dude.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:38 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The first Walmart in our area was in Lafayette, CO, in 1987. At the time, the population of Lafayette was 13,995. Not only is Walmart d*mned if they do and d*mned if they don't, so are posters who are even a little supportive of WM's right to exist. If the anti-WMs complain that all the WMs are on the outskirts of small towns diverting shoppers from downtown and someone points out there are some in cities, well, that's bad too.
For me, it's not just Wal-Mart. Most Wal-Marts and places like it in my area of NJ are not standalone, they're situated in strip malls with other large chain stores, food stores, etc., in towns without true downtowns or in towns set along major highways where these strip malls are often built beside. That's fine for me, as long as we're not overrun by chain places (which, arguably, we are in some spots or at least we are getting there). The Walgreens in my downtown (though on the edge of downtown, not in the very center) is not too large, but it is a standalone. I think it looks stupid. It's too big for the area and it takes up too much space. I'm just not a fan. Do I shop there? Of course. It's convenient and there is a (free) parking lot, which my downtown lacks since it is so old and dense. Parking is either paid on the street or in random lots behind the rows of downtown buildings. Parking is a plus of the Walgreens. The minus? It's ugly and out of place. But whatever. It is what it is. I'd appreciate if they don't build more chain places like that in our downtown but I have no control. The good thing is we're tight on space so it's not like they have acres and acres available to build places.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:19 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
For the town I am from, the downtown was already decimated by urban renewal in the 80s, well before the Wal Mart was built in the 90s. It is a very down-market city, the Wal Mart there is usually quite busy.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:21 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I meant a Target for that Hollywood location by bad dude.
Yeah saw that after I posted oops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.