Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 08:28 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaSoup View Post

And, let's keep it that way.

Hate Wal-Mart. Love Target. Around here, at least, they are vastly different stores.
I think there's both Wal-Mart in Minneapolis proper and St. Paul proper:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wa...cd06ac37093577
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 08:35 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
I'm sorry Wal-Mart apologists out there, I absolutely hate going to Wal-Mart, and much prefer Target instead. So maybe that makes me a Target snob, but the stores and their clientelle couldn't be more different in many ways that I won't get into here (I'm sure you know what I mean).

I'm very surprised there are that many people out there who can't see the difference!

Old 12-10-2014, 08:37 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
I use to go to Wal-Mart every single time I was back in my hometown to stock up on stuff, so much about the place was just awful. I finally decided three years ago to quit going and I'm now three years sober of Wal-Mart!!

Old 12-10-2014, 08:58 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I'm sorry Wal-Mart apologists out there, I absolutely hate going to Wal-Mart, and much prefer Target instead. So maybe that makes me a Target snob, but the stores and their clientelle couldn't be more different in many ways that I won't get into here (I'm sure you know what I mean).

I'm very surprised there are that many people out there who can't see the difference!
Certainly on the consumer end of things, the stores are different. But, and I say this as a red card-carrying loyalist, you have to wonder how different they are on the production and employee ends of things. Target, just like Wal-Mart, will sell a lot of cheap semi-disposable consumer goods produced overseas. I've had friends that were former Target employees who didn't have the rosiest of things to say about the corporation. Maybe the biggest difference really is on the consumer end...? I don't really know enough about Wal-Mart to comment.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:06 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
I don't know of a single person in Long Beach/Orange County, CA that shops regularly at Walmart -- definitely a Target type of crowd out here.
Same for Los Angeles. There are maybe two or three Walmarts and they're far apart. Target is definitely favored. We have talks about how much everyone loves Target.

There's definitely a difference between Walmart and Target, at least in Los Angeles. Walmart attracts a certain type of people and even employees. I can't stand Walmart.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:13 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post

Last things first, it really fires me up that people make disparaging remarks about Walmart's clientele. "God didn't make no trash" to put it one way. The Walmart where I shop is in an area with a large Hispanic population. Is there something wrong with shopping with Hispanics? The Target is in an area with few Hispanics. Does that make their clientele somehow better?

I already said what I like about Walmart. Why doesn't Target carry scrubs? Is their vaunted "clientele" above jobs where one wears scrubs to work? Why don't they carry sewing supplies? Do their fancy clients not know or need to know how to sew?

Target Salaries | Glassdoor
Walmart Salaries | Glassdoor

Salaries are comparable.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:24 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
Walmart and Target don't seem all that similar to me. I mostly go to Walmart for groceries but Target for everything else so I'm not sure I could even make a fair comparison.

The closest Walmart to Detroit is about 2,000 feet outside of city limits but otherwise nonexistent in the city. There's also no Target either.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:24 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,869,900 times
It depends on the individual store. We have two within 15 miles. Night and day! From fresh local produce, there isles of wine, I counted to 20 and quit in the vinegar section, attentive staff to one type of mushrooms and never enough registers.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:25 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
D.C. just got our first Walmarts this year. They are the first urban walmarts in the country. I don't shop at walmart, but if they're coming to urban cities, they need to be built urban.

Pictures of D.C.'s Urban Walmarts:
Walmart Stores Go Small and Urban - PlannersWeb

Old 12-10-2014, 09:34 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
D.C. just got our first Walmarts this year. They are the first urban walmarts in the country. I don't shop at walmart, but if they're coming to urban cities, they need to be built urban.

Pictures of D.C.'s Urban Walmarts:
Walmart Stores Go Small and Urban - PlannersWeb
They've been doing small urban stores in Chicago for 4 years now too. 15,000sf Express stores and 30,000sf Neighborhood Market stores. At least they keep them small. I stopped in once in Lakeview just to look, and apparently there's another urban store near my job in the loop, but I'm much more partial to Target.

They've been opening those new "urban Targets" around here as well. There's one about a 5 minute walk from my condo. It fits nicely with the streetscape and has the usual underground parking and muti-floor layout.

http://loyolastudentdispatch.files.w...ize3502331.jpg

They opened another urban footprint Target right on the site of the former Cabrini Green housing complex that was torn down and is being replaced with market-rate highrises, mid-rise condo buildings and lots of retail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.