U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 02:41 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,528,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Ah, that old canard! When the Walmart in Lafayette, CO opened back in 1987, there were few of the old-time "Mom and Pops" left in town. I suspect that was the case in many communities. Of course; Sears, Roebuck was also accused of that "back in the day". And how would that be any different than a Target locating in a community?
Do you work for Wal-Mart or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 03:00 PM

87,020 posts, read 102,689,903 times
Or something. Do you work for Target?

Old 12-11-2014, 03:08 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,230,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I think this is true with both Targets and Wal-Marts.....the location and store can vary dramatically, along with the experience. I've seen these nicer Wal-Marts too (and K-Marts, for that matter) and you're right, there is little if any difference with even the best Targets.

Target sells SOME of the same things as Wal-Mart (like toys, DVDs, other Electronics, etc.), but it also sells higher quality clothing and household goods, by and large. Again, this is my personal experience -- it's not like I conducted a scientific study.
I'd have to go and look at their websites in order to see which one has more stores, but it certainly seems that Target is more selective when it comes to the placement of their stores, which in turn helps their image.

Walmart, however, plots them down anywhere they can. In the ghetto? Yep. In the middle of a rural community? Yep. In built up suburbia? Sure. And now they're opening those grocery stores in the middle of several major cities.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:11 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,230,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Yeah, not sure. I just guessed that since it's mailing address is Minneapolis proper that it would then be technically located in Minneapolis. In any event, there are plenty of Wal-Marts in the Twin Cities area, but of course Targets there are multitudes.
You'd be surprised how often the postal service ignores city limits. For example, a huge chunk of St. Louis' inner ring suburbs all have St. Louis mailing addresses, but they're all in St. Louis County with their own services, court system, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
Probably because it kills local independent shops. Not my opinion, just what I hear.
So does Target, but, like I pointed out in my post above, it probably has a lot to do with their placement. For example, Walmart will open in a rural small town, and their prices drive the other mom and pop stores out of business. Granted, online retailers like Amazon are now doing the same thing to the brick and mortar big box stores, so it seems to be a never ending cycle.

A lot of people want the best deal, and they frankly don't care where they're getting it.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:34 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,468,351 times
Quote:
"God didn't make no junk".
Is that a repeated Refrain in a old Spiritual hymn? I love hymns... but the context you use it in.... made it bad and ugly to use God with...

I don't feel like trash when I shop mainly in the supermarket half of a Walmart weekly. The Kmart closed years ago by me and other box stores . They are cheaper for a lot of things especially their deli and our favorite lunchmeat.. I sense a bit of vanity in the comment as too good for Walmart anything..... its the wrong name brands on the label and not about ...made in China either?

Old 12-11-2014, 03:51 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,372,240 times
Walmart took over New England right when Ames closed in 2002, and all the smaller cities realized there was no longer a place to buy the basics. VT didn't have one until 1995 and still only has 4 or 5.

But right in Boston it's still all Knart and Target.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:32 PM

87,020 posts, read 102,689,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
I'd have to go and look at their websites in order to see which one has more stores, but it certainly seems that Target is more selective when it comes to the placement of their stores, which in turn helps their image.

Walmart, however, plots them down anywhere they can. In the ghetto? Yep. In the middle of a rural community? Yep. In built up suburbia? Sure. And now they're opening those grocery stores in the middle of several major cities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
You'd be surprised how often the postal service ignores city limits. For example, a huge chunk of St. Louis' inner ring suburbs all have St. Louis mailing addresses, but they're all in St. Louis County with their own services, court system, etc.

So does Target, but, like I pointed out in my post above, it probably has a lot to do with their placement. For example, Walmart will open in a rural small town, and their prices drive the other mom and pop stores out of business. Granted, online retailers like Amazon are now doing the same thing to the brick and mortar big box stores, so it seems to be a never ending cycle.

A lot of people want the best deal, and they frankly don't care where they're getting it.
Yes, Target locates in suburbs and now in cities, where there are lots of people. Walmart first went into the rural areas. The idea that there were all these "Mom and Pop" stores in these towns is an urban legend, IME. See my previous post. As far as Amazon, they are doing what Sears did-mail order. Sears was excoriated for this in the 1920s and 30s. Sears, Roebuck: Myths Magnify the Troubles : Retailing: Like America, the chain is brought to earth by a new era. - Los Angeles Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Is that a repeated Refrain in a old Spiritual hymn? I love hymns... but the context you use it in.... made it bad and ugly to use God with...

I don't feel like trash when I shop mainly in the supermarket half of a Walmart weekly. The Kmart closed years ago by me and other box stores . They are cheaper for a lot of things especially their deli and our favorite lunchmeat.. I sense a bit of vanity in the comment as too good for Walmart anything..... its the wrong name brands on the label and not about ...made in China either?
No, but I had a pastor who said that a lot. I don't know how I made it ugly. It's meant to tell some of these people to quit being critical of people who are different from them, even when the difference is economic rather than racial, which is I think what most people mean when they talk about the "trash" at WM. I find the supposed cartoons of overweight unkempt people shopping at Walmart disgusting.

Old 12-11-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Or something. Do you work for Target?
No, but I am not defending it the way you're defending Wal-Mart. I actually have not even mentioned Target.

Old 12-11-2014, 05:33 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,269,197 times
Quote:
Yes, Target locates in suburbs and now in cities, where there are lots of people. Walmart first went into the rural areas. The idea that there were all these "Mom and Pop" stores in these towns is an urban legend, IME. See my previous post. As far as Amazon, they are doing what Sears did-mail order. Sears was excoriated for this in the 1920s and 30s. Sears, Roebuck: Myths Magnify the Troubles : Retailing: Like America, the chain is brought to earth by a new era. - Los Angeles Times

No, but I had a pastor who said that a lot. I don't know how I made it ugly. It's meant to tell some of these people to quit being critical of people who are different from them, even when the difference is economic rather than racial, which is I think what most people mean when they talk about the "trash" at WM. I find the supposed cartoons of overweight unkempt people shopping at Walmart disgusting.
What about the photographs?

As to the "Mom and Pop" aspect--it is real in many cities. These cities are resistant to most large retailers in their cores for this reason, not just Wal-Mart. Local business is preferred to preserve the character of certain cities.

It self-selects. The kinds of people who shop at Wal-Mart typically don't live in the cores of these cities. You may read that as "trashy people" if you so choose.

Old 12-11-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
What about the photographs?
peopleofwalmart .com is a thing for a reason! Not representative of every Wal-Mart shopper of course, but is there a peopleoftarget .com with such photos? peopleofmacys? etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.