Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 06:24 PM

3,750 posts, read 4,934,936 times

Advertisements

The first Walmart in California was opened the same year I was born (1990) and even today the company has never fully won the hearts of people who live on the West Coast, or in the Northeast. However Sears, Kmart and JCPenney have declined considerably, even in the 90s they were a much bigger deal than they are now and could give Walmart a run for its money still in a lot of markets.

New York City is still Walmart-less last time I checked as is San Francisco. Portland withheld the Walmart beast at bay for a while but there's 3 of them in the city limits alone now. Still I definitely wouldn't say Walmart dominates the retail market in Oregon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 06:31 PM

2,714 posts, read 6,080,215 times
No Wal-mart in Boston.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:47 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,641,045 times
I don't know of a single person in Long Beach/Orange County, CA that shops regularly at Walmart -- definitely a Target type of crowd out here.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:55 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,304,245 times
No Walmart in Brookings, OR. There is one in Crescent City. Drove to Brookings, OR last weekend to check out the Fred Meyer. NICE! Way nicer than Walmart. Employees everywhere to help you and actually ask you if you need help! I was amazed. And no sales tax. Sweet!

Old 12-09-2014, 07:12 PM

3,750 posts, read 4,934,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
No Walmart in Brookings, OR. There is one in Crescent City. Drove to Brookings, OR last weekend to check out the Fred Meyer. NICE! Way nicer than Walmart. Employees everywhere to help you and actually ask you if you need help! I was amazed. And no sales tax. Sweet!
I think Freddy Meezy's is ultimately what stands in the way of Walmart taking over the Pacific Northwest.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:13 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,430,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
I don't know of a single person in Long Beach/Orange County, CA that shops regularly at Walmart -- definitely a Target type of crowd out here.
They have a Wal Mart in the Hollywood Section of LA where the bums fight and beg people for dough. Exciting times in Hollywood. It was kinda sad actually especially seeing so many homeless kids in that section of LA at night, depressing as hell.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I think Freddy Meezy's is ultimately what stands in the way of Walmart taking over the Pacific Northwest.
And rightly so! It was like walking into a nice Macy's type store, but with Walmart prices. I haven't shopped at one for many, many years. I wanted to see if they carried computers, because I'll need to buy one in the near future, and I liked the idea of not paying sales tax on it ha ha! And they do have computers and tablets. Yay!

Old 12-09-2014, 07:19 PM

127 posts, read 155,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post

I am amused that you and many others believe that target is so much better than Walmart when I think they are pretty much one and the same the only difference being that Walmart is a bigger company.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednas View Post
I am amused that you and many others believe that target is so much better than Walmart when I think they are pretty much one and the same the only difference being that Walmart is a bigger company.
I agree. And weirdly, Target has a kind of uppity attitude in that they charge higher prices for the same stuff you can get at Walmart cheaper. They definitely changed their marketing and image, but it's like putting lipstick on a pig.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:17 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,288,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednas View Post
Agreed! And don't get me going on Costco! My son-in-law (from MN) was always very pro-Target/anti-Walmart until he found out the CEO of Target contributed to Michelle Bachmann's campaign. They're all cats of the same breed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.