Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 05:42 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykem View Post
Where is this Walmart in Hollywood?
Its a Target store my bad. Sorry for the mis information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 08:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
What about the photographs?

Photoshop!

As to the "Mom and Pop" aspect--it is real in many cities. These cities are resistant to most large retailers in their cores for this reason, not just Wal-Mart. Local business is preferred to preserve the character of certain cities.

In my community, there were few "Mom and Pop" stores left when Walmart came in. There are more local stores now than there were then (1987). Sears was accused of the same. And the holy Target, Costco, Amazon, have the same effects.

It self-selects. The kinds of people who shop at Wal-Mart typically don't live in the cores of these cities. You may read that as "trashy people" if you so choose.
Hey, it wasn't me who called these people "trash". Go back and look through the thread.

(Mine in teal)

Old 12-11-2014, 08:32 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
There are 9 in the greater Seattle area, though none in Seattle itself. The upscale city of Bellevue, with median family income over $100k has two, and only one Target.
There are three Walmarts in Portland. I don't know if that means Walmart is taking over the PNW but that's less than most areas I guess.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:46 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,528,416 times
With Target headquarters a state over (Minneapolis) and Shopko headquarters in Green Bay, Wal-Mart still has a large-enough presense in Wisconsin, but a fight is put up fairly regularly. In Milwaukee, the closest Wal-Mart to me is still pretty far (15-20 minute drive), like in most of the larger metros in the country I would assume.

Viroqua WI fought Wal-Mart & won years back, and it's a shining example of a small city with great, unique local businesses in an active downtown: Viroqua Wisconsin: A Sustainable Living Community - Nature and Environment - MOTHER EARTH NEWS

You can only imagine what would have happened a couple decades back if Wal-Mart had been able to bully their way in. Green Bay just this year turned back a Super Wal-Mart that was going to rehab an old area of west-side downtown. A larger (than Viroqua) city that understands Wal-Mart is a dime-a-dozen shop (there are already a couple of them in town) and a "real" downtown needs real local non-chain shops: Broadway gets back to business after Walmart 'chaos'

I cheer any opposition to Wal-Mart, because I'm old enough to remember many bustling smalltown downtowns and their utter collapse when Wal-Mart moved in and priced the competition out of business with loss leaders and cheap garbage that breaks in a week. Target may not, when you back up and gain perspective, be all that different from Wal-Mart, but they aren't as predatory or destructive, they offer slightly better products, and I've never seen a town put up the same fight with Target as they do with Wal-Mart - there's a very good reason for this.

Old 12-12-2014, 06:04 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
I think there's both Wal-Mart in Minneapolis proper and St. Paul proper.
Wrong. Minneapolis doesn't have a Walmart within city limits.

Old 12-12-2014, 06:22 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,421,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Wal Mart is cheap and it offers the same crap as everywhere else for half the cost, why pay more? I know they treat their workers like **** but I am too cheap to shop at Kroger's.
I do most of my food shopping at Wally World, then buy the couple "higher end" things at Kroger haha. Walmart has been slowing changing it's image and trying to appeal to different people. I've noticed a huge increase in natural/organic foods with that new brand their carrying. Now with them putting up Walmart Convenience stores, there going after 7-11's!

Old 12-12-2014, 07:35 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,279,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes, Target locates in suburbs and now in cities, where there are lots of people. Walmart first went into the rural areas. The idea that there were all these "Mom and Pop" stores in these towns is an urban legend, IME. See my previous post. As far as Amazon, they are doing what Sears did-mail order. Sears was excoriated for this in the 1920s and 30s. Sears, Roebuck: Myths Magnify the Troubles : Retailing: Like America, the chain is brought to earth by a new era. - Los Angeles Times

No, but I had a pastor who said that a lot. I don't know how I made it ugly. It's meant to tell some of these people to quit being critical of people who are different from them, even when the difference is economic rather than racial, which is I think what most people mean when they talk about the "trash" at WM. I find the supposed cartoons of overweight unkempt people shopping at Walmart disgusting.
I apologize for taking your intent in the wrong context.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:47 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Wrong. Minneapolis doesn't have a Walmart within city limits.
It is *right* on the border and has a Mpls mailing address and there's one right in St. Paul. Let's not pretend the area is devoid of Wal-Marts.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:43 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,442,344 times
^Please refer to my lengthy post re: Walmarts and Targets in the Twin Cities. There is a Walmart about a quarter mile north of the northernwestern tip of Minneapolis in Brooklyn Center, and another one about a quarter mile east of the northeastern tip of Minneapolis in St. Anthony. Neither has a Minneapolis mailing address, they probably just share zip codes with the city.

I don't think anyone is trying to argue that Walmart has no presence in the Twin Cities, but the pattern on the first few pages of this thread was people discussing Walmart locations within city limits. The more interesting point is that there are more than twice as many Target locations in the Twin Cities than Walmart locations.

Old 12-13-2014, 12:06 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Walmart has no control over most big northern cities.

Thank the lard!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.