U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 03:58 PM

6,555 posts, read 10,261,428 times

Advertisements

Never lived in a place remarkably known for having great drivers, but the worst I've ever seen are in Missouri. They don't have a "Keep Right Except to Pass" law so idiot drivers will stay in the left lane on the freeway and be a rolling roadblock the entire way across the state on I-70.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 04:09 PM

13,217 posts, read 17,951,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanExplorer View Post
From your experience and what you've seen. Which states have the best and worst drivers?

This is opinion based...

For me it's...
Best : North Carolina
Worst : Rhode Island
Actually, I'd place drivers in the Carolinas among the worst. Driving the Interstates in the Carolinas makes me realize how a running back feels when his offensive line isn't opening any holes for him. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd rate their lane discipline a 0. It doesn't help that South Carolina ****s around with its speed limits for no reason, and has Interstates that continuously add and drop lanes.

Drivers in Maryland, Ohio and Virginia have been reduced to mere cattle by overbearing traffic laws (Virginia) and overwhelming law enforcement presence (Maryland, Ohio). Drivers in Georgia have a bad habit of speeding up when you try to pass them. Psychologists would refer to such people as passive-aggressive pricks. That same classification applies to anybody who uses the left lane for purposes other than passing.

The best drivers I'd say are in California. It takes impressive driving skills to keep moderate to heavy traffic moving as fast as it does there. Missouri drivers are kind of slow, but at least they practice proper lane discipline for the most part. A friend of mine from rural south Georgia said that Pennsylvania drivers are rude and almost ran him off the road, but I told him that's what he gets for going 60 in the left lane.

Tennessee and Texas drivers are OK. No bad habits, but no outstanding habits either.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:13 PM

31 posts, read 35,989 times
Best: Wisconsin. Most drivers seem to have common sense and many are polite. The one exception tailgating. I've been surprised to see this even in slippery conditions.

Runner-up: California. I lived in LA and although there are some jerks out there, most drivers were very skilled at driving in high density traffic and would let you merge, etc.

Worst: My home state of Massachusetts. Although, in their defense, the roads in Boston seem to demand aggressive driving just to get anywhere. However, I can't excuse the breakdown lane driving...

Old 12-10-2014, 11:29 PM

4,471 posts, read 7,287,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Actually, I'd place drivers in the Carolinas among the worst. Driving the Interstates in the Carolinas makes me realize how a running back feels when his offensive line isn't opening any holes for him. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd rate their lane discipline a 0. It doesn't help that South Carolina ****s around with its speed limits for no reason, and has Interstates that continuously add and drop lanes.
Yup.

Quote:
Drivers in Georgia have a bad habit of speeding up when you try to pass them. Psychologists would refer to such people as passive-aggressive pricks. That same classification applies to anybody who uses the left lane for purposes other than passing.
Yup. Among other things..

Quote:
A friend of mine from rural south Georgia said that Pennsylvania drivers are rude and almost ran him off the road, but I told him that's what he gets for going 60 in the left lane.
LOL. Exactly! Some people just don't get it and probably never will.

As for me, every place has moments where there are good drivers surrounding you and in most cases, you've got horrible drivers surrounding you. I'll NEVER have any sympathy for a driver in the left lane blocking traffic behind them. I don't care how fast they're going.

Old 12-11-2014, 01:25 AM

4,925 posts, read 4,913,870 times
This is a cool thread it needs more juice

Old 12-11-2014, 05:21 AM

2,343 posts, read 2,750,537 times
I can't think of any one state, as a whole, that has better or worse drivers than any others. Just cities. It would be really convenient to pick on Rhode Island, but considering RI is smaller than many large metro areas are, that's really not fair.

Las Vegas is easily the worst city I've ever experienced for bad drivers, but the rest of Nevada was no worse or better than any other state. People from Northern Idaho generally drive like complete a-holes, but Boise drivers were pretty good each time I drove through there.

If I had to pick a state, I'd say it's Florida. Pretty much everywhere I drove in that state, the drivers were pretty horrible.

Old 12-11-2014, 05:32 AM

1,229 posts, read 973,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrey Jack View Post
From my experience:

Best: Idaho

Being a small state with little traffic outside of the Boise and Twin Falls area probably played a factor. Majority of people allowed me to pass them on the I-84 without much fuss. City traffic seemed reasonable. Not many boneheaded decisions from what I saw in my drive through the state.

Worst: California

People constantly hogging the left lane, end up passing on the right or tailgate or whatever needed to get by. In the cities, San Francisco and Los Angeles for example, more instances of drivers not knowing where they are going or forcing their way into the exit lane causing near collisions. Common sense is to take the next exit and turn around or whatever or simply make an aggressive maneuver and get into that lane without making people slam their brakes.

I wouldn't say California drivers are that bad though, just more population compared to the other Western states (Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, etc.) so more bad drivers. The east coast is probably worse. New York, Jersey?
NY drivers are aggressive but aware. Massachusetts drivers are aggressive and flat out horrible at driving. South Florida and Massachusetts in my opinion have the worst drivers in America.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:17 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,346,135 times
States with the best drivers: None of them.

States with the worst drivers: All of them.

The road is full of awful drivers no matter what state you're in.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:57 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,708,360 times
Every state! because everyone except for me is a bad driver!

Old 12-11-2014, 01:52 PM

4,471 posts, read 7,287,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Every state! because everyone except for me is a bad driver!
LOL. Yep.

Admittedly, I feel like I'm a pretty good driver, but I was tired last night while driving in rush hour traffic in the dark and I exited at a freeway exit I wasn't entirely familiar with. Got stopped at the traffic light, then proceeded to go (turning left), and while there are lines marking each lane while you're turning, I made the mistake of thinking another car was going in to my lane when, in fact, I was going into theirs. I honked my horn at the time thinking they were in the wrong. The other guy flipped me off.

Well, I immediately realized my mistake and at the next light when we stopped next to each other, I rolled my window down (I don't usually do that during aggressive situations) and as he started to tell me how wrong I was, I promptly apologized.

My point here is that we all think we're good drivers, but that may not always be the case!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or