Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 12:17 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,895,500 times

Advertisements

I agree that immigrants do drive very different than Americans.

I think California drivers are very efficent.

Learning how to drive in Florida made me think no speed was off limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 10:42 AM

3,696 posts, read 2,896,747 times
Best drivers: Michigan. Only state that I've lived in where cars can be nose to tail, moving along at 80 MPH and there are virtually no accidents...and people actually know how to merge/use signals! Michigan drivers also do pretty well on snow/ice and on rainy/wet roads.

Worst drivers: South Carolina. I've never seen so many accidents per square mile in my life on perfectly dry roads with sunny conditions. The drivers are not rude/crazy...they just seem to have trouble driving, lol.

Polite drivers: Much of New England/Midwest

Rudest drivers: Boston. I love to drive but if I had to live there my *** would be walking everywhere.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:45 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Best drivers: Michigan. Only state that I've lived in where cars can be nose to tail, moving along at 80 MPH and there are virtually no accidents...and people actually know how to merge/use signals! Michigan drivers also do pretty well on snow/ice and on rainy/wet roads.
Really, that's pretty spot on. In Detroit, there are a lot of people on bikes because they can't afford a car (or more often, insurance) and drivers are more mindful of them than in a lot of cities.

When I think about it my less favorable Michigan driving experiences have come from weather and road conditions.

For a state like Texas, a distinction ought to be made for the major metro areas with a lot of transplants, as opposed to rural Texas.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:01 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,252,776 times
Minnesota drivers are some of the most competent out there. They can be a little aggressive at times, but for the most part they're polite and obedient of the traffic regulations.

Alabama drivers are probably the least competent in the country. They will cut you off and go 5-10 miles under the speed limit, never use blinkers when changing lanes. These hillbillies are better off going back to horse and buggy because most Alabamese aren't intelligent enough to properly operate a complicated piece of machinery such as an automobile.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:08 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,987,422 times
I've got to concur what other have said about Michigan drivers. The do know how to use the gas pedal and the turn signal, and are generally courteous enough.

On the other hand, we have Ohioans
They drive slow and they do so in the left lane. You can see a unicorn about as often as you see a blinking turn signal in this state. The sight of a snowflake or raindrop means that traffic speed drops 20 mph. And it seems it must be some kind of state law that we must wait 20 seconds before progressing when the traffic signal turns green

Old 04-09-2018, 08:20 PM

811 posts, read 888,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
I've got to concur what other have said about Michigan drivers. The do know how to use the gas pedal and the turn signal, and are generally courteous enough.

On the other hand, we have Ohioans
They drive slow and they do so in the left lane. You can see a unicorn about as often as you see a blinking turn signal in this state. The sight of a snowflake or raindrop means that traffic speed drops 20 mph. And it seems it must be some kind of state law that we must wait 20 seconds before progressing when the traffic signal turns green
I agree on the point about Ohio drivers driving slow in the left lane. Not sure why it is, but I only experience this among Ohio Drivers.

I agree, Michigan drivers are pretty good, they use signals, drive in correct lane when not passing and overall drive smart in my experiences.

Some other bad driving states include Indiana, oh my, Indiana drivers are among the worst, right there with Ohio. Florida drivers are downright scary and dangerous at times.

Some good driving states include North Carolina, Virginia, Missouri and Georgia.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Towards the end of my stay, less and less people waved at me as I let them in. It's changed, for the worse. Not because of migration, but because Texans have changed.

Been very disappointed in Denver as well.
Denver drivers are pretty bad. They won't let you move over (on a freeway) to get off at your exit, then you'll see them change lanes a little farther down the road. Much running of red lights. Stuff like that. I've lived here so long I don't notice it as much any more.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:59 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,928,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Slowest drivers I encountered: Washington State, Minnesota, Ohio, Virginia.

Those all qualify as worst drivers.
I wouldn't say Washington drivers are super slow, you will encounter a few drivers who are very slow who back everyone up, but they are pretty rare and you can usually drive around them, unless it's a 2 lane road in the city, then you are basically stuck with them. Also generally most people drive 5 mph above speed limit and many others go 10mph above especially on the freeway. However Oregon is much worse, but that has more to do with their slower speed limits.

Old 05-20-2021, 12:55 PM

12,163 posts, read 8,010,150 times
Best: Illinois and New Hampshire

Worst: Massachusetts, Rhode Island and North Carolina.

Old 05-20-2021, 07:53 PM

859 posts, read 697,317 times
I'll say just one thing.

Florida drivers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.