U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2014, 03:36 PM

6,560 posts, read 10,268,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldtravelingman1 View Post
Is Dallas really that hot?

As for sac town. It seems nice but the more I do research on California as it is today, the less it seems like somewhere I want to live.
Do I consider it hot? Yes. The average daily high temp is 90 or above from roughly the 2nd week in June until the 3rd week in September. It peaks at around 96 degrees from late July 'til mid-late August. On top of that it's moderately humid and doesn't cool off appreciably at night.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 03:44 PM

29 posts, read 27,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Do I consider it hot? Yes. The average daily high temp is 90 or above from roughly the 2nd week in June until the 3rd week in September. It peaks at around 96 degrees from late July 'til mid-late August. On top of that it's moderately humid and doesn't cool off appreciably at night.
That's news. I've always envisioned it as a four seasons kinda place

Old 12-10-2014, 03:51 PM

6,560 posts, read 10,268,098 times
Quote:
That's news. I've always envisioned it as a four seasons kinda place
I'd say 3-3.5 seasons. Winter is mild-ish. Overnight lows below freezing are common in December and January. Temps below zero are extremely rare, and measurable snowfall is uncommon. The area does get 1 or 2 really good ice storms every year that turn the metroplex into a parking lot. If winter were 5-10 degrees warmer it would be a better trade-off for having to deal with the hellish summertime heat.

Overall, I enjoy Denver's climate (snow, occasional cold, and all) considerably more than DFW's.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:54 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,969,122 times
Quote:
Is Dallas really that hot?

As for sac town. It seems nice but the more I do research on California as it is today, the less it seems like somewhere I want to live.
What about California do you not like?

Quote:
FL too hot

In TX, the metroplex interests me as does Houston. I did live in Austin in 3.5 years and it felt like it was growing too fast and not well planned

TN is under consideration

As is NH but I don't know anything about it.

WA has this crazy liberal reputation that scares me, and NV is too hot
FL is not much hotter than Houston or Austin.

Nashville is doable imo. Some decent historic areas, although much of the city is undergoing major development.

Yea, PNW is pretty liberal. Maybe you'd like the midwest? Indy, Louisville, Cincy, Columbus, Cleveland? Don't think they get as cold as Michigan, Chicago, or MSP.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:23 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,833,298 times
Charleston, SC. Historic.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:55 PM

29 posts, read 27,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post

FL is not much hotter than Houston or Austin.

Nashville is doable imo. Some decent historic areas, although much of the city is undergoing major development.

Yea, PNW is pretty liberal. Maybe you'd like the midwest? Indy, Louisville, Cincy, Columbus, Cleveland? Don't think they get as cold as Michigan, Chicago, or MSP.
California is beautiful, and it is home. However it is a poorly run, overwhelmingly blue minority-majority state. The LA I grew up in is gone apparently, and the LA/OC metro is the ony place I can envision myself living long term in CA. However, according to this board there isn't anywhere that doesn't cost 2 million bucks for a condo where my demographic will be any more than 35%. Perhaps my view is skewed from when I was growing up but a lot of Central CA was either agricultural or barrio dangerous, and NorCal and the Bay Area seems a bit too lefty for me. I've spent time in the East Bay and I'm afraid I won't fit in (Vote Republican)

I've spent time in FL (Orlando and FTL) and it wasn't so much the heat but the humidity!! Austin was hot in college (UT) but it wasn't nearly as sticky as FL.

Anecdotally I have heard the PNW is on par with SF for leftiness, however. Is it still like that farther from the coast in Spokane?

I'm interested in the Midwest although I admit I don't know much.

In the south Nashville, ATL, NW Arkansas even. Springfield and parts of MO looks nice however the current state of civil unrest worries me.

Old 12-11-2014, 01:46 PM

152 posts, read 160,702 times
Quote:
This poster was on the Los Angeles board yesterday and apparently didn't like the answers he was getting i.e., reality, so he moved on. What he doesn't like about Los Angeles is the possibility of living near a large number of Asians and Hispanics. (although I see here he's posted that he also doesn't like the "barrio dangerous" central part of the state or the "leftiness" of the Bay Area.)

What he said yesterday:
Quote:
I'm honestly just not comfortable being in the minority. Demographics that sound favorable would be 70% non Hispanic white. 10% Asian 15% Hispanic. There aren't that many African Americans in LA compared to most of the country that's why they're excluded from that example. I do not care about Armenians or Russians or Persians whatever. Am more concerned about Mexicans Koreans etc.
Quote:
How about, instead of vilifying me like I'm some kind of Klan member, you guys tell me about some neighborhoods that are statistically a Caucasian majority with a lower foreign born population. Preferably where the median income is 4 million (or somewhere higher than that). I don't care if there are people of other races (I have spent time in Africa and Asia) but statistically I would prefer that population segment to be a numerical minority that isn't set to take over the area (San Marino is an example of that).
If that doesn't exist in the whole of Los Angeles County, well then I don't know what to say except the rumors are true lol.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:15 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,969,122 times
worldtravelingman, I won't vilify you cause we all deserve some latitude on internet forums. But you do realize the US will be minority-majority (or majority-minority) in 30 years, if not sooner? Just something to get comfortable with.

Midwest cities like Indy, Louisville, Cincy probably have the demographics you favor. You can google the stats pretty easily.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:29 PM

792 posts, read 962,225 times
IMO, you're describing Shaker Heights, OH (old streetcar inner-ring suburb of Cleveland) and also bordering Cleveland Heights, OH.

The area is tree-lined and basically looks like this throughout:

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/inde...html#msg580671

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,26398.msg580665.html#msg580665

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,26394.msg580661.html#msg580661
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or