U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 01:29 AM

29 posts, read 27,451 times

Advertisements

Hey there. Young Caucasian guy here, quickly approaching 30. Born in LA but have lived across in Austin and NYC at various periods. I'm now residing in a town outside London called St. Albans and while I like it here, I'm not getting any younger and I've always known that long term I want to put down roots in the US, it's home.

I own am online business, my commute is from my bedroom to the shower to the living room where my laptop is. This gives me the freedom to live anywhere in the country. Although eventually I would like to supplement my income by maybe setting up a consulting business (just me) and use my degree and experience. This isn't something I plan to do in the near future (next 3 years) but as I intend to settle down somewhere I don't want to live somewhere with a bad or unhealthy economic situation.

I would like to be in a place with a mild climate. Four seasons is fine and I'm okay with snow even. I'm not okay with -5 degrees (F) or 101 degrees (F) being anything but the rarest anomaly for the area. Avoiding natural distasteful prone areas of the country would be great.

I would like to live in a nice, quiet, middle class area of a metro area. Not a bland suburb with tract housing, but not West Hollywood or Greenwich Village. Older historic homes, and the kind of areas where young families and couples settle is ideal. Not into living in an area with a lot of young transients who will move in a few years, but with people that set down roots and are "in it for the long haul", I will be renting at first but plan to buy.

I like leafy and tree lined areas, and maybe some neighborhood bars or something (no crazy nightlife in immediate vicinity). Demographics wise I don't mind diversity one bit, however I would prefer to fit in culturally and not be a part of the minority demographic, not intended to offend people at all because I love experiencing cultures. But I've been in a situation (when I was 21 and first moved out on my own and lived in NYC) where I was the only person that wasn't Spanish speaking or of Caribbean black descent in a four block radius and I wasn't comfortable not identifying culturally or linguistically with no one/not many people around me.

Besides that,'I'm just a single middle class person looking for a nice middle class neighborhood in a nice metro area. I will have my car of course, but if there is any kind of public transport (especially if it isn't just a bus) that's a plus. However not a requirement. Politically I am in the middle and very slightly tilted towards the right. I don't need to be around nightclubs/lounges/table service or "classy places" like the opera or the theater because I probably won't be attending. Low income tax would be nice as well but not a deal breaker. I am open to any state/city/suburb in the lower 48.

Looking to hear about some cool regions, and the best part of it that'd fit me in your opinion as per my description.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 01:39 AM

18,100 posts, read 22,968,690 times
Alameda, CA. Most Victorian homes per capita in the world I think (or the states?), great weather, close to San Francisco, but very safe and family oriented town. Decent public transport to SF, etc. Local pubs, farmer's market, beach, even has a ferry terminal that can take you around the bay including the stadium for pro games in SF.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Alameda, CA. Most Victorian homes per capita in the world I think (or the states?), great weather, close to San Francisco, but very safe and family oriented town. Decent public transport to SF, etc. Local pubs, farmer's market, beach, even has a ferry terminal that can take you around the bay including the stadium for pro games in SF.
Thanks. Alameda is by Oakland yes? I've spent time in that area because my high school girlfriend went to Cal (I went to UT) and we did the long distance visit on summer breaks kinda thing..lol

It is definitely a consideration because NorCal is booming. My only fear is that between the techies and what's left of the hippies in SF and the activists in Berkeley I might go insane lol jk. The Bay Area is on the radar most definitely...do you know anything the peninsula and South Bay? I am just thinking it may be more my speed because it seems a little more average in terms of the populace as opposed to this preconceived image I have from 10 years ago about East Bay punks and hippies. :P

Old 12-10-2014, 08:12 AM

6,316 posts, read 6,972,968 times
Based on your description, it seems to me that most of the country will work for you. The trick would be moving into the right neighborhood.

What else do you care about? I assume you'd want a decent-sized city because of the future consulting business. Any particular region better for work or family? Lower COL?

We'll eliminate the extreme hot and cold climates, and perhaps transient cities like DC, Boston, Chicago, NYC, Vegas. Although again, with those if you're in the right neighborhood then you're not surrounded by transients.

Options with no state income tax include:
FL - Miami, Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville
TX - Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio
TN - Nashville, Memphis
WA - Seattle, Portland (OR) suburbs
NH - Boston exurbs
NV - Vegas

Old 12-10-2014, 11:44 AM

18,100 posts, read 22,968,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldtravelingman1 View Post
Thanks. Alameda is by Oakland yes? I've spent time in that area because my high school girlfriend went to Cal (I went to UT) and we did the long distance visit on summer breaks kinda thing..lol

It is definitely a consideration because NorCal is booming. My only fear is that between the techies and what's left of the hippies in SF and the activists in Berkeley I might go insane lol jk. The Bay Area is on the radar most definitely...do you know anything the peninsula and South Bay? I am just thinking it may be more my speed because it seems a little more average in terms of the populace as opposed to this preconceived image I have from 10 years ago about East Bay punks and hippies. :P
The Peninsula and south bay (just moved last year from Santa Clara) is mainly suburbia. There will be a small neighborhood here and there with some old buildings, but for a city or town with mainly older buildings, you need to be in SF or the east bay.

Yes, Alameda is right next to Oakland, but amazingly doesn't have the problems Oakland does.

Punks and hippies in 2004? I don't know what to tell you about that perception, except that it's definitely not mine.

But, if that's your attitude, I think you should look elsewhere. Seems you'd be looking for the negative in the area. Best of luck to you.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:02 PM

4,266 posts, read 6,349,676 times
Sounds like many parts of NW Washington DC might fit the bill. The business opportunities there would, I'd guess, be plentiful for your future consulting business, while the neighborhoods run the gamut from old money to upper middle class to family-oriented middle-class. Some parts are rather trendy, but many are not. Take a walk up Connecticut Ave, for instance. There are lots of apartments s well as single-family homes, mass transit is good, and depending exactly on where you land, you'd have an easy walk to local shops and restaurants. DC weather can be humid in the summer, but winters are relatively mild and heavy snow is infrequent. It is not an extreme climate.And you are not a long drive from beaches.

The catch, of course, is that this is generally the priciest part of Washington. Not as costly as San Francisco or Manhattan, but it isn't cheap.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:42 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,443,906 times
Check my answer in your LA post about a great place.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Based on your description, it seems to me that most of the country will work for you. The trick would be moving into the right neighborhood.

What else do you care about? I assume you'd want a decent-sized city because of the future consulting business. Any particular region better for work or family? Lower COL?

We'll eliminate the extreme hot and cold climates, and perhaps transient cities like DC, Boston, Chicago, NYC, Vegas. Although again, with those if you're in the right neighborhood then you're not surrounded by transients.

Options with no state income tax include:
FL - Miami, Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville
TX - Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio
TN - Nashville, Memphis
WA - Seattle, Portland (OR) suburbs
NH - Boston exurbs
NV - Vegas
FL too hot

In TX, the metroplex interests me as does Houston. I did live in Austin in 3.5 years and it felt like it was growing too fast and not well planned

TN is under consideration

As is NH but I don't know anything about it.

WA has this crazy liberal reputation that scares me, and NV is too hot

Old 12-10-2014, 03:26 PM

6,561 posts, read 10,274,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldtravelingman1 View Post
FL too hot

In TX, the metroplex interests me as does Houston. I did live in Austin in 3.5 years and it felt like it was growing too fast and not well planned

TN is under consideration

As is NH but I don't know anything about it.

WA has this crazy liberal reputation that scares me, and NV is too hot
Ok I'm a little confused. You said you don't want to live in a place where 100+ degree temps are common, but you're looking into DFW? DFW averages 18 days of triple-digit heat every year, and when it's not 100+ it'll be above 90 damn near every single day from mid-June 'til mid-September. It's not Las Vegas or Phoenix hot, but DFW is still a broiler oven for 1/4-1/3 of the year.

Sacramento maybe?

Old 12-10-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Ok I'm a little confused. You said you don't want to live in a place where 100+ degree temps are common, but you're looking into DFW? DFW averages 18 days of triple-digit heat every year, and when it's not 100+ it'll be above 90 damn near every single day from mid-June 'til mid-September. It's not Las Vegas or Phoenix hot, but DFW is a broiler over for 1/4-1/3 of the year.

Sacramento maybe?
Is Dallas really that hot?

As for sac town. It seems nice but the more I do research on California as it is today, the less it seems like somewhere I want to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or