U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 11:22 AM

8,016 posts, read 9,482,787 times

Advertisements

Take your pick I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 11:25 AM

56,599 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneTheOnly92 View Post
Hey there. Thanks for the reply. I grew up in NYC so I am no stranger to other groups, I do not care if it is solidly polish or Italian or what. What I mean is that from what I have heard, in most other cities the blue collar work force has become largely ethnic minority. NYC is very unionized so the "old guard" irish poles Italians still comprise that group. However in the boroughs there isn't anywhere for us to live without feeling outcast. Hence many flee to far away suburbs and commute 4 hrs a day on commuter rail
In that case, definitely the Interior Northeast and the Midwest would probably be the best bets. In many cases in the areas in both regions, even if you move to the suburbs, you are still within a reasonable commute and can do so at a relatively affordable price. For instance, those 2 suburbs of Utica I mentioned are essentially an extension of that city's outer West Side. So, even with moving to the suburbs, you may not sacrifice character and/or walkability.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:37 AM

6 posts, read 13,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Philly hipsters are not bad at all compared to the trust-fund hipsters which seem to be in abundance in NYC. Most are just doing their own thing here-Philly is (maybe unknowingly to the masses) a very live and let live city, that has a blue collar backbone but very diverse economy today. Hard work and respect are still valued here more than pretense and appearance.

I say come visit Philadelphia.
Definitely gonna come down to Philly. Recommend any neighborhoods? I had a friend as a kid from Phila and he was from a neighborhood called K&A or something...know anything

Old 12-11-2014, 11:39 AM

6 posts, read 13,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
In that case, definitely the Interior Northeast and the Midwest would probably be the best bets. In many cases in the areas in both regions, even if you move to the suburbs, you are still within a reasonable commute and can do so at a relatively affordable price. For instance, those 2 suburbs of Utica I mentioned are essentially an extension of that city's outer West Side. So, even with moving to the suburbs, you may not sacrifice character and/or walkability.
Thank you.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:01 PM

1,426 posts, read 1,882,936 times
Quote:
Hey there. Thanks for the reply. I grew up in NYC so I am no stranger to other groups, I do not care if it is solidly polish or Italian or what. What I mean is that from what I have heard, in most other cities the blue collar work force has become largely ethnic minority. NYC is very unionized so the "old guard" irish poles Italians still comprise that group. However in the boroughs there isn't anywhere for us to live without feeling outcast. Hence many flee to far away suburbs and commute 4 hrs a day on commuter rail
You do realize that the Polish and Italians had always been considered 'ethnic minorities', since they aren't exactly WASP? I mean, I see what you're going with here...trying to use "ethnic minority" to equal "non-white", but even that term is problematic when you look at the history and evolution of what it means to be 'white' within America. Your post doesn't come off as 'racist', but it does come off more on the socially awkward side...like you have many mental barriers preventing you from connecting to other human beings without seeing superficial labels (hipster, Mexican, Asian etc.). People are people, most just trying to get by... and the sooner you realize that the easier it becomes to make connections with people of all types.

That aside, I strongly agree with everyone else about the interior Northeast. Pittsburgh and Philadelphia are the two standouts.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:04 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,095,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I can't believe people are suggesting Philadelphia, which has been under heavy gentrification/hipster influence for the past decade. In fact the blue-collar neighborhoods such as Fishtown, Port Richmond and much of South Philly are being taken over by hipsters, many of whom have been priced out of Brooklyn/NYC. Chicago is definitely an option, but I would also consider Pittsburgh which still has some very definitive areas of ethnicity including Italian, East European, German and Irish.
I haven't encountered many hipsters here. I'm sure there are some but so far, it seems easy to avoid them.

Chicago is an awful option. The weather sucks and the crime is just awful.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:10 PM

Location: somewhere on I-35 in-between Austin and San Antonio
296 posts, read 424,720 times
Pittsburgh. Plenty of hipsters in Philly.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:11 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,095,346 times
Quote:
Definitely gonna come down to Philly. Recommend any neighborhoods? I had a friend as a kid from Phila and he was from a neighborhood called K&A or something...know anything
Chestnut Hill is really nice, but even though its in city proper, it feels a bit like a suburb. That said, it's great! Lot of good restaurants and mom n pop shops, very walkable, a SEPTA station, charming homes, and the beautiful Morris Arboretum nearby if you want to escape to nature.

The SEPTA station there

Morris Arboretum:

There's also places like Manayunk, Fishtown, NoLibs (Northern Liberties), etc, that are right in/near Center City.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:20 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,315,951 times
Most of my family members who are stereotypical blue-collar white people don't live in the city anymore, they all moved out to the suburbs/exurbs to "get away from it all". I'm fairly certain this is true in most major blue-collar American cities like Philly or NYC too.

Do you want to be IN the city or is a suburb okay too? I know blue-collar types can and do live in both places, but there's definitely been a shift away from the core for the most part.....at least with my family (and their extended relatives and friends) in Chicagoland. They're Italians and Poles for the most part.

Old 12-11-2014, 01:23 PM

1,426 posts, read 1,882,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Chestnut Hill is really nice, but even though its in city proper, it feels a bit like a suburb. That said, it's great! Lot of good restaurants and mom n pop shops, very walkable, a SEPTA station, charming homes, and the beautiful Morris Arboretum nearby if you want to escape to nature.

The SEPTA station there

Morris Arboretum:

There's also places like Manayunk, Fishtown, NoLibs (Northern Liberties), etc, that are right in/near Center City.
That looks like a cute little neighborhood. Looks more like a main street of a small town than part of a big city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or