U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-11-2014, 01:27 PM
 
6 posts, read 13,001 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Most of my family members who are stereotypical blue-collar white people don't live in the city anymore, they all moved out to the suburbs/exurbs to "get away from it all". I'm fairly certain this is true in most major blue-collar American cities like Philly or NYC too.

Do you want to be IN the city or is a suburb okay too? I know blue-collar types can and do live in both places, but there's definitely been a shift away from the core for the most part.....at least with my family (and their extended relatives and friends) in Chicagoland. They're Italians and Poles for the most part.
In the city or in a suburb is fine. I have a car and a license, however honestly I didn't get my license until I was 21 so I'm really not the most comfortable driver so I would prefer to be able to at least take public transport to work. I just don't wanna feel like I'm in Mayberry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-11-2014, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
11,884 posts, read 10,385,743 times
Reputation: 8050
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneTheOnly92 View Post
Definitely gonna come down to Philly. Recommend any neighborhoods? I had a friend as a kid from Phila and he was from a neighborhood called K&A or something...know anything
K&A is pretty notorious in Philly-Kensington and Allegheny Avenues. It's a neighborhood called Kensington (the badlands) that was beseiged by deindustrialization/globalization and today is a poor and pretty crime ridden area with significant Irish, Puerto Rican, Polish and African-American populations. There are still good people there and gentrification is pushing closer and closer from Fishtown/Northern Liberties.

Roxborough seems like a good fit- a very safe neighborhood that is predominantly white and working class. It has a better location than another part of the city that would work (Northeast Philly) and is close to some great bars/restaurants in Manayunk (which is a formerly white working class neighborhood that today is more gentrified with people from all over).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2014, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
5,302 posts, read 8,093,728 times
Reputation: 2136
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
That looks like a cute little neighborhood. Looks more like a main street of a small town than part of a big city.
Exactly! It's so charming and quaint, but it's in the second-biggest city in the East Coast! Who would've known! I really love that area.


OP, if you're fine with suburbs, I'd also recommend the Philly suburb of Elkins Park (where I live). It's a very nice area, with a train station, and within walking distance to a number of places (a co-op, a yoga studio, the train station, a number of bus stops, churches and synagogues, an Indian restaurant, a pizza/cheesesteak place, a Chinese restaurant, and more). It's also close to nice areas like Jenkintown, Cheltenham, and Abington, with a lot of cool little shops and restaurants too. Lots of greenery, too. And only a 15 minute train ride to downtown.

Elkins Park


Train station:


A typical home here:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2014, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
11,884 posts, read 10,385,743 times
Reputation: 8050
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
That looks like a cute little neighborhood. Looks more like a main street of a small town than part of a big city.

Agreed-and that is really part of the appeal. The entire Northwest part of the city is filled with neighborhoods that function as small towns, each with their own "downtown"- Chestnut Hill, Mount Airy, Germantown, East Falls, Roxborough and Manayunk. These neighborhoods were at one point not part of the city and developed separately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2014, 02:22 PM
 
Location: Buena Park, Orange County, California
1,426 posts, read 1,882,936 times
Reputation: 1493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Exactly! It's so charming and quaint, but it's in the second-biggest city in the East Coast! Who would've known! I really love that area.


OP, if you're fine with suburbs, I'd also recommend the Philly suburb of Elkins Park (where I live). It's a very nice area, with a train station, and within walking distance to a number of places (a co-op, a yoga studio, the train station, a number of bus stops, churches and synagogues, an Indian restaurant, a pizza/cheesesteak place, a Chinese restaurant, and more). It's also close to nice areas like Jenkintown, Cheltenham, and Abington, with a lot of cool little shops and restaurants too. Lots of greenery, too. And only a 15 minute train ride to downtown.

Elkins Park


Train station:


A typical home here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Agreed-and that is really part of the appeal. The entire Northwest part of the city is filled with neighborhoods that function as small towns, each with their own "downtown"- Chestnut Hill, Mount Airy, Germantown, East Falls, Roxborough and Manayunk. These neighborhoods were at one point not part of the city and developed separately.
I like the bucolic appeal as well. Honestly, looks like a place I wouldn't mind living in as long as I could adjust to the cold winters. For whatever reason, the Northeast feels very 'exotic'/foreign to my mind. Like a much different place than my West coast and Southwestern upbringing. It would be nice to live somewhere completely different for once...even if just for a short period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2014, 02:35 PM
 
56,593 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Reputation: 12500
Here are some neighborhoods/communities that come to mind that may be a good fit: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.8718...P7R4zozumg!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.8956...Htod1n10JQ!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.8258...b2dvWFqpfQ!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9031...dG5x5WerTQ!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ne...aa2c33ce1874a6

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1154...FuxjmxHm8g!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0604...S43lfzjaRA!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1114...ivBOBqVIcA!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ea...2deb3393715a23

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0950...Zkz6G7nA3Q!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.1227...TM7qLSS-MA!2e0

Among others......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2014, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
5,302 posts, read 8,093,728 times
Reputation: 2136
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
I like the bucolic appeal as well. Honestly, looks like a place I wouldn't mind living in as long as I could adjust to the cold winters. For whatever reason, the Northeast feels very 'exotic'/foreign to my mind. Like a much different place than my West coast and Southwestern upbringing. It would be nice to live somewhere completely different for once...even if just for a short period.
You should come for a visit! And when you do, take some time to visit the countryside in PA. Beautiful, especially in summertime. I just moved here from San Diego. I miss the beaches, the weather, the scenery...but there are some things out here that are lovely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2014, 05:00 PM
 
1,230 posts, read 974,155 times
Reputation: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
You do realize that the Polish and Italians had always been considered 'ethnic minorities', since they aren't exactly WASP? I mean, I see what you're going with here...trying to use "ethnic minority" to equal "non-white", but even that term is problematic when you look at the history and evolution of what it means to be 'white' within America. Your post doesn't come off as 'racist', but it does come off more on the socially awkward side...like you have many mental barriers preventing you from connecting to other human beings without seeing superficial labels (hipster, Mexican, Asian etc.). People are people, most just trying to get by... and the sooner you realize that the easier it becomes to make connections with people of all types.

That aside, I strongly agree with everyone else about the interior Northeast. Pittsburgh and Philadelphia are the two standouts.
Of course the first one to have a problem with it is a Californian. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2014, 07:43 PM
 
29 posts, read 151,744 times
Reputation: 44
Very interesting post!

Rust belt America is for you. Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Cleveland, Detroit....all great cities with large Polish communities. If you go to Chicago, it will be similar to what you are experiencing in Greenpoint (but to a lesser degree).

You can always move 15 minutes away to Woodside, Queens!

Last edited by Toronto99; 12-11-2014 at 07:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2014, 10:52 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee
3,451 posts, read 3,396,652 times
Reputation: 2895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I haven't encountered many hipsters here. I'm sure there are some but so far, it seems easy to avoid them.

Chicago is an awful option. The weather sucks and the crime is just awful.
The weather is similar and Philly has the same crime rate as Chicago (actually, Philly is slightly worse). You seriously never look anything up, do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top