U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 12:50 PM

1,426 posts, read 1,883,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
Of course the first one to have a problem with it is a Californian. lol
Heh. I guess I find it difficult to comprehend people's unwillingness to connect with other human beings based off of (what are to me) very superficial factors. This guy just happens to be a working class white dude, but Latinos, Asians, upper class white people, blacks etc all do it too. Not a mentality I subscribe to, but to each their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 08:25 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,096,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
The weather is similar and Philly has the same crime rate as Chicago (actually, Philly is slightly worse). You seriously never look anything up, do you?
Philly's weather isn't ideal for many people, but it's far warmer than Chicago on the average.

I'll give you that crime here is worse, but honestly, it just seems less threatening. But that could be because of how the media sensationalizes all the crime in Chicago for ratings.

Old 12-13-2014, 01:03 AM

733 posts, read 747,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneTheOnly92 View Post
Grew up in Brooklyn (Greenpoint). A lot has changed..I'm the son of Polish immigrants and my neighborhood was solidly blue collar white first/second generation people who basically either owned small businesses or worked construction. This area is close to Manhattan and lots of cool areas and it was kinda cheap so the "cafe latte drinking/save the world" hipster type who have really driven up rents (doesn't affect me, my parents bought the place and now I live here while they enjoy retirement in "gods waiting room" St. Pete Florida) but the whole vibe of where I live feels like a wierd, kitschy, and overly sterile museum of what it used to be with some organic food coops thrown in.
I'm a blue collar guy, in my 20's and single certified in HVAC, and there is no place for me in this city. This 'hood is depressing because it feels fake and filled with people who are just basically today's hippy's but more smug. And all of the other areas that were formerly mostly white working class of various immigrant backgrounds (Bensonhurst comes mind and used to be totally Italian. If you have seen Saturday Nite Fever you understand) is now either a white flight ghetto, Asian dominated, or hipsters. The guys that I work with (who are mostly in my demographic of 2nd or 3rd gen European immigrant NYers) either commute from Long Island, Staten Island, or hold out in their ancestral homes in neighborhoods that they don't belong in anymore. I know it's the way it goes but still it sucks to live through. The only area that perhaps is similar to my old neighborhood (albeit a Russian version) is Brighton Beach and even so I can tell that in 10 years it will be mostly Mexican immigrants because it is rapidly changing.

This isn't an anti immigrant rant. If it weren't for immigrants I wouldn't be here and I know the original occupants of my area (probably WASPs) felt like I do as they fled upstate.

Looking for a city in the US where I will fit in. Anywhere will do. Somewhere that feels like "the old neighborhood" a little. Blue collar families of most European descent.
I will probably get mauled and called a racist here, but idc. I'm too young to flee to the suburbs, and let's face it, most "city" areas are either hipsters, rich lawyer/doctor types, or minority dominated neighborhoods where I wouldn't be welcomed or safe.

I know Chi-town has a big east European community. Or has that been gentrified out? Where is it located in the city?

I am willing to live anywhere really, and I am gonna rent out the house to these yuppies for far more than a sane person would pay (I heard people pay $3k to live in 1bed now lol) so I will have some income but I still want to work. My union is national so I am not worried.

Anywhere? All other factors notwithstanding

P.S. If you wanna say something negative, congratulations you can call someone names online.
WASPs the original inhabitants of your area? Try the Lenape

It is too bad for you that you don't feel like you can be safe in a minority dominated neighborhood. I mean cultural preferences are fine, but this is just phobic.

Pittsburgh is a pretty blue collar city that's over 60% white in the city itself, and like 10% Polish, there's even an enclave called Polish Hill. South End may seem appealing, but I read some yuppies are coming into that hood.

Old 12-13-2014, 01:17 AM

15 posts, read 24,967 times
Hey bro im in the same boat as you. I live in Beijing West formerly known as Bensonhurst. It's not "phobic" or whatever they say, it's reality. I don't know what America these people live in but the areas that are majority Hispanic or Black in this country aren't usually safe. Even a "white neighborhood" in an overwhelmingly "non white" city may be superficially safe, but it's the same kind of safe that Tel Aviv is, nice in it's confines but too close too Gaza.

I live in a formerly Italian area, it is now pretty much Asian. You're from bk so u know that. It's safe around here yeah sure but good luck having a conversation with your neighbors or identifying with them at all. Areas dominated by eastern peoples like Indians or Chinese may be safe and if a Chinese/Indian family moved into a white area they'd probably be fine and assimilate into America (ya know, land of dreams..)
But in an overwhelmingly eastern area the culture is soo different than our culture that you might as well just move to another country.

If you wanna stay in NY like I do, and you can't afford manhattan and you're not an Orthodox Jew. Move to Staten Island, a little suburban, a little guido, but safe working class and besides a little pocket of ickiness on the north shore and hipsters (native NYer hipsters who can't afford your area and want a view) in st George

If not, north New England, upstate NY, the Northwest away from the coast (hippies) and maybe the Dakotas/Montana if you can do boring.

Old 12-13-2014, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlaneloli View Post
WASPs the original inhabitants of your area? Try the Lenape
the Lenape are the original habitants of NY the same way the we all originated in Africa. It's true, yes in the most basic sense. But the lenape were native tribes an essentially primitive. The Dutch moved here and built permanent structures and created an economy, then the British, then the Irish, then southern and Eastern Europeans, then the blacks and Hispanics, then the Asians, now the yuppies

Old 12-13-2014, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Philly's weather isn't ideal for many people, but it's far warmer than Chicago on the average.

I'll give you that crime here is worse, but honestly, it just seems less threatening. But that could be because of how the media sensationalizes all the crime in Chicago for ratings.
My impression is that Philly has crime kind of evenly spread with a few hot spots, but Chicago has the north side which is nice and safe and then the south and west side that looks like Hiroshima..so it's more dramatic

Old 12-13-2014, 09:22 AM

1,229 posts, read 974,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
Heh. I guess I find it difficult to comprehend people's unwillingness to connect with other human beings based off of (what are to me) very superficial factors. This guy just happens to be a working class white dude, but Latinos, Asians, upper class white people, blacks etc all do it too. Not a mentality I subscribe to, but to each their own.
Good for you. I suppose all the various animal breeds are superficial as well. There is no difference between a German shepherd and a golden retriever either right? Now go look for approval from someone else. I know your tolerance probably earns you a cookie in LA but outside of freak land nobody's impressed.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:32 AM

10,559 posts, read 13,118,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post

I see, so you are making a comment about something you have no clue about. Philly actually has higher crime rates than Chicago. There is a large contiguous area of Chicago from Hyde Park to Rogers Park with over 1.7million people and 77 homicides to date. I'll let you calculate the rate.

And what is far warmer?

Old 12-13-2014, 02:00 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,096,781 times
Philly's weather is warmer than Chicago, in all seasons. Sure, Philly has cold and snowy winters, but they can't be compared to Chicago. This is common sense.

As for Philly crime, it can easily be avoided in suburbs, other areas in the city, and even most of Center City. And since the OP said a suburb is fine, I think Philly is the better choice.

Old 12-13-2014, 02:40 PM

1,426 posts, read 1,883,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
Good for you. I suppose all the various animal breeds are superficial as well. There is no difference between a German shepherd and a golden retriever either right? Now go look for approval from someone else. I know your tolerance probably earns you a cookie in LA but outside of freak land nobody's impressed.
Yeah...you just made a comparison between people and dog breeds.

If tolerance makes LA freak land, I wouldnt want to live in the world you consider normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or