U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 11:51 PM

7,815 posts, read 12,319,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
You do realize that the Polish and Italians had always been considered 'ethnic minorities', since they aren't exactly WASP? I mean, I see what you're going with here...trying to use "ethnic minority" to equal "non-white", but even that term is problematic when you look at the history and evolution of what it means to be 'white' within America. Your post doesn't come off as 'racist', but it does come off more on the socially awkward side...like you have many mental barriers preventing you from connecting to other human beings without seeing superficial labels (hipster, Mexican, Asian etc.). People are people, most just trying to get by... and the sooner you realize that the easier it becomes to make connections with people of all types.

That aside, I strongly agree with everyone else about the interior Northeast. Pittsburgh and Philadelphia are the two standouts.
I totally understand where the OP is coming from and I myself and a very assimilated Asian American who is culturally a lot more American than Chinese and I enjoy living in my majority white community here in the Deep South. Regardless of race I also find it very hard to identify with people who are not from an American background of some sort. When I'm in an area with mostly Mexicans for example I feel like I have nothing in common than them. I don't feel I'm better than them (as long as they are legal) but we just don't have anything in common and I wouldn't be able to make friends due to cultural differences and language differences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 01:48 AM

12,193 posts, read 10,407,297 times
Old thread, but I have to agree with Cleveland. Large Eastern European heritage population, definitely blue collar, with relaxed, down-to-earth people who are some of the friendliest I've ever met in a city.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:09 AM

21,699 posts, read 23,651,778 times
Joey began this thread in 2014 so I hope by now he has found his ideal place. I would have suggestioned or a Cleveland ‘burb. I think he would have liked my city of Lakewood just across the border from Cleveland.

Old 11-08-2017, 01:10 PM

222 posts, read 111,203 times
OP asked for blue collar and someone gives him Chestnut Hill in Philly???

Old 11-08-2017, 03:06 PM

908 posts, read 548,237 times
Going by Ben Affleck movies Boston should be a good choice.
But all kidding aside, have you considered Queens?

Old 11-10-2017, 09:30 AM

6,053 posts, read 3,377,056 times
Saint Paul is a pretty blue collar city. Demographically similar to the rest of Minnesota and the Great Lakes states. Lots of Germans, Swedes, Norwegians, Poles, Czechs, Slovaks, Irish, Italians, Hungarians.

A good amount of white people here also have partial Ojibwe ancestry as well which is interesting.

Old 11-10-2017, 06:02 PM

356 posts, read 148,727 times
Philadelphia is mostly no longer blue collar; even much of South Philly, which was the most blue collar part, is now losing it. You can still find patches around, but it is no longer resembling a continuous patch of blue collar areas. Chestnut Hill is far from blue collar. I'd say...in the northeast, patches of Baltimore and Queens, patches of southern parts of Brooklyn also (south of prospect park)

In the Midwest, Milwaukee, Cleveland, and St. Paul are all candidates (I'd argue the first two are a bit more blue collar than St. Paul overall though). Patches of St. Louis would work too. In the South, parts of Savannah, Winston-Salem, Jacksonville, Memphis, and Chattanooga would all qualify.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:08 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,568,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I totally understand where the OP is coming from and I myself and a very assimilated Asian American who is culturally a lot more American than Chinese and I enjoy living in my majority white community here in the Deep South. Regardless of race I also find it very hard to identify with people who are not from an American background of some sort. When I'm in an area with mostly Mexicans for example I feel like I have nothing in common than them. I don't feel I'm better than them (as long as they are legal) but we just don't have anything in common and I wouldn't be able to make friends due to cultural differences and language differences.
I'm shocked, I really thought you were an old white guy!

As for Mexican-American folk, they vary a lot in my experience to the point where at least some of them should overlap with you culturally.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:16 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,568,506 times
There are no major cities in the US that I know of with large populations of white conservatives, if that's what you're getting at. Most have moved to the suburbs. NYC for instance you only find those "white, conservative blue collar" neighborhoods on the fringes like Howard Beach.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:45 AM

6,507 posts, read 7,454,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Any city in Michigan expect for Ann Arbor pretty much would fit.
Someone else said Chicago, and this Michigan suggestion is similar as the urban Midwest does kind of sound like what the OP wants. There are a lot of polish people in the working class suburbs of both Detroit and Chicago but the OP should be aware that the Midwest is VRRY different culturally and climate wise than the north east, especially NYC. Detroit would really seem slow paced and laid back to a New Yorker. The urban toughness and grittiness that the OP is likely used to would not really be there. Even Chicago may seem that way to a New Yorker. Chicago and Detroit May be large cities but they are still very midwestern in culture. Maybe the OP would like that but he should be aware of it. One thing for sure is Detroit and to a lesser extent Chicago there would be far less hipster types. Those old neighborhoods are far less gentrified and more “real”. That being said it would never resemble what he knows.

Midwest winters are BRUTAL compared to the northeast, OP should know that too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or