U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 07:30 AM

21,186 posts, read 30,343,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFan View Post
Philadelphia is mostly no longer blue collar; even much of South Philly, which was the most blue collar part, is now losing it. You can still find patches around, but it is no longer resembling a continuous patch of blue collar areas.
Have you even seen a map of Philly? The entire NE section section (Fishtown to Tacony and over to Fox Chase/Olney) which is larger than the Center City core is almost exclusively blue collar. Then throw in Roxborough/Manayunk/East Falls and the southern half of South Philly. Besides that only one in four in Philly has a college degree which by definition would point toward at least half with some kind of blue collar occupation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 03:05 AM

11,456 posts, read 6,571,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Going by Ben Affleck movies Boston should be a good choice.
But all kidding aside, have you considered Queens?
Queens does not have what he's looking for aside from Howard Beach maybe

Old 11-14-2017, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Have you even seen a map of Philly? The entire NE section section (Fishtown to Tacony and over to Fox Chase/Olney) which is larger than the Center City core is almost exclusively blue collar. Then throw in Roxborough/Manayunk/East Falls and the southern half of South Philly. Besides that only one in four in Philly has a college degree which by definition would point toward at least half with some kind of blue collar occupation.
For some reason, people seem to use "blue collar" to mean white, working class, and conservative.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:55 AM

909 posts, read 548,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Queens does not have what he's looking for aside from Howard Beach maybe
Are you sure? Queens is huge. I seem to recall a map showing large swaths of it that went for Trump.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:53 AM

4,449 posts, read 7,517,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
According to most recent Census estimates, Philly's college attainment is increasing (as a percentage of total population) approximately 1% per year, which is actually quite significant and encouraging for the city. The 2016 estimate (28.6%) is now closer to 3 in 10 than 1 in 4.

But that's an aside. I think you may be conflating "blue-collar" with "service class." The city actually long ago lost the bulk of its blue-collar work (i.e., manufacturing/other skilled trades). Much like most cities in America, Philly now follows the post-industrial dichotomy between white-collar/knowledge class workers (i.e., meds/eds, finance, law, tech, etc.) and much lower paid service workers (e.g., retail, hospitality, home healthcare aides, clerical, etc).

Of course, you still have strong industries like the construction trades and public positions in the police/fire workforce that are considered "blue collar," which have historically provided decent pay without requiring much formal education, but blue-collar workers are now a distant third in terms of the entire workforce makeup, with Philly being no exception. Racially, white blue-collar workers are becoming even rarer yet in major metro areas.

Old 11-14-2017, 01:23 PM

24,974 posts, read 23,882,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mslhu View Post
OP asked for blue collar and someone gives him Chestnut Hill in Philly???
Uh, yeah. Any idiot can post here. Even me.

Old 11-14-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Are you sure? Queens is huge. I seem to recall a map showing large swaths of it that went for Trump.
Howard Beach and parts of Northeast Queens.

The latter of which is pretty expensive and the demographics are changing.

Old 11-14-2017, 01:39 PM

24,974 posts, read 23,882,175 times
Quote:
I'm shocked, I really thought you were an old white guy!

As for Mexican-American folk, they vary a lot in my experience to the point where at least some of them should overlap with you culturally.
Is he 70, or was he born in 1970? Hmmm. I thought he was an old white guy, too.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:53 AM

909 posts, read 548,594 times
Quote:
Howard Beach and parts of Northeast Queens.

The latter of which is pretty expensive and the demographics are changing.
Also Middle Village and Whitestone. Not sure how expensive these parts are.
Surprisingly lots of the eastern half of Brooklyn is pretty red.
Most ethnic groups make do with smaller areas. I'm not convinced that a white working class guy cannot find bars that serve Budweiser on tap or traditional diners in all of Brooklyn or Queens.

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/num...al-primary-nyc

Old 11-16-2017, 12:24 AM

4,664 posts, read 3,611,049 times
[quote=RudyOD;37601820]You do realize that the Polish and Italians had always been considered 'ethnic minorities', since they aren't exactly WASP? I mean, I see what you're going with here...trying to use "ethnic minority" to equal "non-white", but even that term is problematic when you look at the history and evolution of what it means to be 'white' within America. Your post doesn't come off as 'racist', but it does come off more on the socially awkward side...like you have many mental barriers preventing you from connecting to other human beings without seeing superficial labels (hipster, Mexican, Asian etc.). People are people, most just trying to get by... and the sooner you realize that the easier it becomes to make connections with people of all types.

That aside, I strongly agree with everyone else about the interior Northeast. Pittsburgh and Philadelphia are the two standouts.[/QUOTE

Ugh. I think the OP is trying to get away from people that over-analyze everything - like yourself and your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or