U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 12:28 AM

6 posts, read 13,004 times

Advertisements

Grew up in Brooklyn (Greenpoint). A lot has changed..I'm the son of Polish immigrants and my neighborhood was solidly blue collar white first/second generation people who basically either owned small businesses or worked construction. This area is close to Manhattan and lots of cool areas and it was kinda cheap so the "cafe latte drinking/save the world" hipster type who have really driven up rents (doesn't affect me, my parents bought the place and now I live here while they enjoy retirement in "gods waiting room" St. Pete Florida) but the whole vibe of where I live feels like a wierd, kitschy, and overly sterile museum of what it used to be with some organic food coops thrown in.
I'm a blue collar guy, in my 20's and single certified in HVAC, and there is no place for me in this city. This 'hood is depressing because it feels fake and filled with people who are just basically today's hippy's but more smug. And all of the other areas that were formerly mostly white working class of various immigrant backgrounds (Bensonhurst comes mind and used to be totally Italian. If you have seen Saturday Nite Fever you understand) is now either a white flight ghetto, Asian dominated, or hipsters. The guys that I work with (who are mostly in my demographic of 2nd or 3rd gen European immigrant NYers) either commute from Long Island, Staten Island, or hold out in their ancestral homes in neighborhoods that they don't belong in anymore. I know it's the way it goes but still it sucks to live through. The only area that perhaps is similar to my old neighborhood (albeit a Russian version) is Brighton Beach and even so I can tell that in 10 years it will be mostly Mexican immigrants because it is rapidly changing.

This isn't an anti immigrant rant. If it weren't for immigrants I wouldn't be here and I know the original occupants of my area (probably WASPs) felt like I do as they fled upstate.

Looking for a city in the US where I will fit in. Anywhere will do. Somewhere that feels like "the old neighborhood" a little. Blue collar families of most European descent.
I will probably get mauled and called a racist here, but idc. I'm too young to flee to the suburbs, and let's face it, most "city" areas are either hipsters, rich lawyer/doctor types, or minority dominated neighborhoods where I wouldn't be welcomed or safe.

I know Chi-town has a big east European community. Or has that been gentrified out? Where is it located in the city?

I am willing to live anywhere really, and I am gonna rent out the house to these yuppies for far more than a sane person would pay (I heard people pay $3k to live in 1bed now lol) so I will have some income but I still want to work. My union is national so I am not worried.

Anywhere? All other factors notwithstanding

P.S. If you wanna say something negative, congratulations you can call someone names online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 02:08 AM

5,302 posts, read 8,096,781 times
For the record, I totally agree with you about hipsters---SO annoying and they make everything more expensive. And yes, they're really fake as well.

I'd say you should move here to Philadelphia. Many NYers, especially from Brooklyn, are coming here because it's cheaper and has a lot of amenities that NYC does: good food, diversity, walkable, nice downtown, good public transit, museums/culture, and history and distinct neighborhoods. I haven't encountered too many hipsters here, which is a good thing. It's also in close proximity to NYC if you want to visit often, or, in the other direction, Greater Washington DC. Oh, and it's very blue-collar.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:48 AM

79 posts, read 103,237 times
try ether Missoula Montana or if you want a bigger city Philadelphia

Old 12-11-2014, 05:12 AM

21,190 posts, read 30,372,337 times
I can't believe people are suggesting Philadelphia, which has been under heavy gentrification/hipster influence for the past decade. In fact the blue-collar neighborhoods such as Fishtown, Port Richmond and much of South Philly are being taken over by hipsters, many of whom have been priced out of Brooklyn/NYC. Chicago is definitely an option, but I would also consider Pittsburgh which still has some very definitive areas of ethnicity including Italian, East European, German and Irish.

Old 12-11-2014, 05:38 AM

1,229 posts, read 974,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneTheOnly92 View Post
Grew up in Brooklyn (Greenpoint). A lot has changed..I'm the son of Polish immigrants and my neighborhood was solidly blue collar white first/second generation people who basically either owned small businesses or worked construction. This area is close to Manhattan and lots of cool areas and it was kinda cheap so the "cafe latte drinking/save the world" hipster type who have really driven up rents (doesn't affect me, my parents bought the place and now I live here while they enjoy retirement in "gods waiting room" St. Pete Florida) but the whole vibe of where I live feels like a wierd, kitschy, and overly sterile museum of what it used to be with some organic food coops thrown in.
I'm a blue collar guy, in my 20's and single certified in HVAC, and there is no place for me in this city. This 'hood is depressing because it feels fake and filled with people who are just basically today's hippy's but more smug. And all of the other areas that were formerly mostly white working class of various immigrant backgrounds (Bensonhurst comes mind and used to be totally Italian. If you have seen Saturday Nite Fever you understand) is now either a white flight ghetto, Asian dominated, or hipsters. The guys that I work with (who are mostly in my demographic of 2nd or 3rd gen European immigrant NYers) either commute from Long Island, Staten Island, or hold out in their ancestral homes in neighborhoods that they don't belong in anymore. I know it's the way it goes but still it sucks to live through. The only area that perhaps is similar to my old neighborhood (albeit a Russian version) is Brighton Beach and even so I can tell that in 10 years it will be mostly Mexican immigrants because it is rapidly changing.

This isn't an anti immigrant rant. If it weren't for immigrants I wouldn't be here and I know the original occupants of my area (probably WASPs) felt like I do as they fled upstate.

Looking for a city in the US where I will fit in. Anywhere will do. Somewhere that feels like "the old neighborhood" a little. Blue collar families of most European descent.
I will probably get mauled and called a racist here, but idc. I'm too young to flee to the suburbs, and let's face it, most "city" areas are either hipsters, rich lawyer/doctor types, or minority dominated neighborhoods where I wouldn't be welcomed or safe.

I know Chi-town has a big east European community. Or has that been gentrified out? Where is it located in the city?

I am willing to live anywhere really, and I am gonna rent out the house to these yuppies for far more than a sane person would pay (I heard people pay $3k to live in 1bed now lol) so I will have some income but I still want to work. My union is national so I am not worried.

Anywhere? All other factors notwithstanding

P.S. If you wanna say something negative, congratulations you can call someone names online.
Buffalo, NY is a blue collar city with a good mix of European ethnicities. Cheektowaga a suburb just outside the city is one of the most Polish communities in the US at 39.9%. South Buffalo as well is a decent working class neighborhood of the city. Although I believe the Buffalo area's largest ethnic group is German there aren't tensions anymore and they live in the same towns and neighborhoods as all the other whites. Irish and Italians also have a big influence on the area.

To give you a rough idea I paid $800 a month for a very nice 3br duplex in a safe working class suburb just outside the city. Plenty to do in the area. Got some nightlife on Chippewa, Niagara Falls is 30 minutes away, Lake Erie is basically a freshwater ocean, ski slopes in the southtowns, a lot of real bars not hipster bars and best of all Buffalo is one of the few cities with last call at 4am like NYC (most major cities like Boston and LA are 2am). Plus Buffalo wings and good pizza.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 12-11-2014 at 06:16 AM..

Old 12-11-2014, 07:05 AM

11,884 posts, read 10,387,633 times
Philly hipsters are not bad at all compared to the trust-fund hipsters which seem to be in abundance in NYC. Most are just doing their own thing here-Philly is (maybe unknowingly to the masses) a very live and let live city, that has a blue collar backbone but very diverse economy today. Hard work and respect are still valued here more than pretense and appearance.

I say come visit Philadelphia.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:39 AM

56,609 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
Buffalo, NY is a blue collar city with a good mix of European ethnicities. Cheektowaga a suburb just outside the city is one of the most Polish communities in the US at 39.9%. South Buffalo as well is a decent working class neighborhood of the city. Although I believe the Buffalo area's largest ethnic group is German there aren't tensions anymore and they live in the same towns and neighborhoods as all the other whites. Irish and Italians also have a big influence on the area.

To give you a rough idea I paid $800 a month for a very nice 3br duplex in a safe working class suburb just outside the city. Plenty to do in the area. Got some nightlife on Chippewa, Niagara Falls is 30 minutes away, Lake Erie is basically a freshwater ocean, ski slopes in the southtowns, a lot of real bars not hipster bars and best of all Buffalo is one of the few cities with last call at 4am like NYC (most major cities like Boston and LA are 2am). Plus Buffalo wings and good pizza.
^This and much of Lackawanna would fit as well.
On this list, Sloan and Depew are blue collar villages surrounded by the town of Cheektowaga: New York Polish as First Ancestry Population Percentage City Rank Based on ACS 2008-2012 data* Lancaster(village) is right next to Depew.

NY Mills, a blue collar suburb of Utica, would also fit due to its high Polish percentage. Adjacent Yorkville would also work for the same reasons.

I'd say that many communities in the Interior Northeast and some of the Midwest would have what you are looking for.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-11-2014 at 07:52 AM..

Old 12-11-2014, 08:53 AM

4,571 posts, read 7,034,245 times
Any city in Michigan expect for Ann Arbor pretty much would fit.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:44 AM

56,609 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Any city in Michigan expect for Ann Arbor pretty much would fit.
True and this may make it more specific for the OP: Michigan Polish as First Ancestry Population Percentage City Rank Based on ACS 2008-2012 data*

Also, after reading the OP again, immigrants went directly to many Upstate towns and cities and even if a neighborhood isn't as strictly one ethnic group as it once was, you may still have a substantial presence of that group in that neighborhood. So, I would necessarily say that people of that group do not "belong" in that neighborhood.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:07 AM

6 posts, read 13,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
True and this may make it more specific for the OP: Michigan Polish as First Ancestry Population Percentage City Rank Based on ACS 2008-2012 data*

Also, after reading the OP again, immigrants went directly to many Upstate towns and cities and even if a neighborhood isn't as strictly one ethnic group as it once was, you may still have a substantial presence of that group in that neighborhood. So, I would necessarily say that people of that group do not "belong" in that neighborhood.
Hey there. Thanks for the reply. I grew up in NYC so I am no stranger to other groups, I do not care if it is solidly polish or Italian or what. What I mean is that from what I have heard, in most other cities the blue collar work force has become largely ethnic minority. NYC is very unionized so the "old guard" irish poles Italians still comprise that group. However in the boroughs there isn't anywhere for us to live without feeling outcast. Hence many flee to far away suburbs and commute 4 hrs a day on commuter rail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or