U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 01:42 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,039,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNorthman View Post
I have a thing about numbers. I like seven but dislike 6 and it comes to mind with city names. I like city names with six letters (Boston, Austin, Dallas, Mobile) and like names with seven letters much better (Houston, Chicago, Seattle, Orlando).
Well, you can't move to where I live - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Notice that both have 12 letters. This is helpful if you're a track & field fan - winners of some Penn Relays events were (when I was there, in the early 70's) presented with watches with the state name replacing the letters. Actually, it was the host school's name - Univ. of Penn. - but you get the idea. Sometimes wordy ("lettery"?) is useful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 03:34 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,429,467 times
One of my main reasons for never wanting to live in Florida is that when we were visiting family in Orlando a few years back, a huge, and I do mean HUGE, as in at least two or three inches long, palmetto bug skittered across the hallway as I was walking back to go to bed. That FREAKED me out! I mean, up here you only get critters like that if you don't take your garbage out regularly, but to find them skittering about in a spotlessly clean house, just because they are indigenous and they CAN...no, thanks!

Ditto scorpions in the Desert Southwest.

Old 12-12-2014, 04:18 PM

21,329 posts, read 21,906,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
One of my main reasons for never wanting to live in Florida is that when we were visiting family in Orlando a few years back, a huge, and I do mean HUGE, as in at least two or three inches long, palmetto bug skittered across the hallway as I was walking back to go to bed. That FREAKED me out! I mean, up here you only get critters like that if you don't take your garbage out regularly, but to find them skittering about in a spotlessly clean house, just because they are indigenous and they CAN...no, thanks!

Ditto scorpions in the Desert Southwest.
palmetto bug = flying cockroach

Old 12-12-2014, 04:26 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,429,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Well, then maybe this wasn't a palmetto bug, unless they fly AND skitter across the floor, but whatever it was, it was a huge, brown, thick shelled insect, the likes of which I've never seen up here, although I have never personally seen a cockroach other than in pictures.

Add love bugs and no see 'ems to the list of annoying insects I can do without.

Florida can be beautiful, but...those bugs!!!

Last edited by canudigit; 12-12-2014 at 04:47 PM..

Old 12-12-2014, 04:58 PM

596 posts, read 677,061 times
I don't like Honolulu because it is awkward to type since all the letters are typed with the right hand.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:04 PM

2,321 posts, read 3,007,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Giant flying cockroach. What a way to wake up in the midle of the night with one crawling across your chest.!

Old 12-13-2014, 12:09 AM

10,558 posts, read 13,127,017 times
It's not dumb, but i think historically whether they were traitors or not.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:19 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,754,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
It's not dumb, but i think historically whether they were traitors or not.
Care to elaborate?

Old 12-14-2014, 01:44 AM

18,121 posts, read 22,989,204 times
For me, it's anything that will keep me from enjoying being outside.

Snow, beyond a very occasional light dusting, is a deal breaker for the rest of my life.

Same for humidity, or even really hot dry weather.

Same with bugs that would ruin my enjoyment of the outdoors, like mosquitos, biting flies, and chiggers.

And anywhere with scorpions. I endured scorpions walking through my house or finding them on the wall - like the skittering June bug listed above - while living in Mexico for a year. They're the size of mice down there!

A bad homeless population. It was really bad where I just moved from. I called them Zombies. They were everywhere asking for handouts constantly. And they'd come bug you when you were pumping your gas, even. That was the worst, because you couldn't just walk away. I swear I couldn't come and go from grocery shopping without being approached, either. Disturbing.

I'd rather not live in a town or on a street with an embarrassing name, but that wouldn't be a deal breaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.