U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 05:38 PM

596 posts, read 676,624 times

Advertisements

I just read a post where someone turned down a job offer due to the building not having landscaped grounds.

It got me thinking about some of the dumb stuff that comes into my mind when looking at other cities and states.

I have a thing about numbers. I like seven but dislike 6 and it comes to mind with city names. I like city names with six letters (Boston, Austin, Dallas, Mobile) and like names with seven letters much better (Houston, Chicago, Seattle, Orlando).

At the state level, I see state flags and think how I would not like seeing some of those flags flying around in daily life. I think rather positively about the state of Maryland but think that flag is awful.

I know this sounds dumb. I was wondering if any of you also have dumb things come to mind and what might they be. For the record, I would never let something like this be a determining factor in any way for choosing where to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 06:06 PM

13,238 posts, read 24,428,775 times
I don't have number things like that, but I prefer "prettier" and "bigger" names.

Prettier meaning, it doesn't sound ugly or industrial when you say it, bigger meaning bigger/more established.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:18 PM

3,017 posts, read 1,871,864 times
I consider the types of insects they have. I don't mess with that S.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
I consider the types of insects they have. I don't mess with that S.
Definitely understand you on that. I've read several things about the abundance of spiders in the Pacific Northwest. There are threads on here about them in the house. Hiking trail reviews warn that if you go early in the morning, you'll get one spider web in the face after another. I wouldn't let it be the deciding factor but not something I'd like.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:56 AM

44,823 posts, read 36,186,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNorthman View Post
I just read a post where someone turned down a job offer due to the building not having landscaped grounds.

It got me thinking about some of the dumb stuff that comes into my mind when looking at other cities and states.

I have a thing about numbers. I like seven but dislike 6 and it comes to mind with city names. I like city names with six letters (Boston, Austin, Dallas, Mobile) and like names with seven letters much better (Houston, Chicago, Seattle, Orlando).

At the state level, I see state flags and think how I would not like seeing some of those flags flying around in daily life. I think rather positively about the state of Maryland but think that flag is awful.

I know this sounds dumb. I was wondering if any of you also have dumb things come to mind and what might they be. For the record, I would never let something like this be a determining factor in any way for choosing where to live.

LOL that's funny you would say that about MD's flag, because it may be my very favorite state flag in the US! I even bought a sweatshirt with that flag on it just because I liked it so much, when I lived in MD.

Funny thread, by the way. Here are some stupid things that I consider (and I am so serious):

1. Do tarantulas live there? What are my chances of running across one?

2. Are chiggers a problem? If so, I don't want to live there.

3. Big gigantic cockroaches? NO BUENO.

4. Is REAL Tex Mex food readily available?

5. I don't want to live in a city or town with a name I don't like. Those names would include, but are not limited to: Mobile, Kilgore, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Detroit, Albuquerque (heck it would take me two years to learn how to spell it - had to look it up), Possum Kingdom, Nankipoo...you get the idea.

6. I don't want to live anywhere in a few states because I just can't imagine living in the state itself. So as not to offend anyone, I won't name those states. But I realize that surely there are some nice places in any state.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:57 AM

44,823 posts, read 36,186,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNorthman View Post
Definitely understand you on that. I've read several things about the abundance of spiders in the Pacific Northwest. There are threads on here about them in the house. Hiking trail reviews warn that if you go early in the morning, you'll get one spider web in the face after another. I wouldn't let it be the deciding factor but not something I'd like.
AUGH. I could not and would not deal with that for a second.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:04 AM

Location: Work in NYC - Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,304 posts, read 2,196,781 times
1. This is very superficial and I cannot let go of it: I cannot go / live in places where they don't have certain type OR brands of retail stores. Let it be grocery store, clothing store, hobby store, etc.
2. This follows that I have to live in a huge metropolitan area.
3. Not to offend anybody living in UT. I cannot live anywhere in Utah because the word Utah in some other language means 'that thing' that us emetophobes are afraid of. And yes, I am an emetophobe.
I probably have more, yes I am crazy that way! ;D

Old 12-12-2014, 12:25 PM

8,016 posts, read 9,485,783 times
lol

deserts vs forests

Old 12-12-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL that's funny you would say that about MD's flag, because it may be my very favorite state flag in the US! I even bought a sweatshirt with that flag on it just because I liked it so much, when I lived in MD.

Funny thread, by the way. Here are some stupid things that I consider (and I am so serious):

1. Do tarantulas live there? What are my chances of running across one?

2. Are chiggers a problem? If so, I don't want to live there.

3. Big gigantic cockroaches? NO BUENO.

4. Is REAL Tex Mex food readily available?

5. I don't want to live in a city or town with a name I don't like. Those names would include, but are not limited to: Mobile, Kilgore, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Detroit, Albuquerque (heck it would take me two years to learn how to spell it - had to look it up), Possum Kingdom, Nankipoo...you get the idea.

6. I don't want to live anywhere in a few states because I just can't imagine living in the state itself. So as not to offend anyone, I won't name those states. But I realize that surely there are some nice places in any state.
You reminded me of some more! Tex Mex. My friend moved from Austin to Minneapolis. The Twin Cities area is amazing in so many ways but he said it does not have anything like a good Tex Mex restaurant. I guess that only makes sense since it is nowhere near Texas.

Cockroaches. I heard they can fly in Florida. That sounds horrifying.

And then that reminds me of visiting Houston once when the love bugs where out. I did not love them.

Old 12-12-2014, 01:00 PM

21,322 posts, read 21,895,576 times
I will check the phone book to see if there are any people with my name already living there and if there are, I will move on to a different town so as to avoid any confussion in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.