U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 08:37 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,395,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Because? It's fine if you believe this but what makes you so certain? I'm guessing it's the weather, but if the thread title indicates anything, it's suggesting that some of these places may be TOO HOT 50 years from now, if anything.
Dude's one of those guys that you can predict every single reply based wholly on temperature. If it's warm, thumbs up; if it's cold, thumbs down. 5 degrees warmer on average? Slam dunk! You could replace him with a bot.

The answer is: We simply cannot predict future migrations, due to economy, war, immigration, natural disasters, climate differences, etc. Do you think 50 years ago in 1964, with the North humming along the way it was, that people would mass-migrate south and west to what were considered at the time quite backwards/backwater areas? It depends, as throughout the history of this country, on jobs. In 50 years, if the jobs are in Alaska, that's where the migration is happening. Who would have predicted even a few years ago that North Dakota, friggin' North Dakota(!!), would be the fastest-growing state in the entire country?

Jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 09:36 AM

10,400 posts, read 19,414,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspkiddo View Post
Lots of different predictions. I feel like what would be interesting is to get data points and do some data analysis on it.
City-Data is a place to get opinions, not hard facts and data points Google is your friend for the latter.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:36 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,279,555 times
I know I'm biased, but I honestly think Las Vegas has themselves set up quite well.
They just installed a line into Lake Mead that will give ONLY Vegas rights to the last of the water in the lake.
There are seven states that draw off of the Colorado River... And Las Vegas only uses 2% of the total amount of water that the river supplies. Most of it is going to California, Arizona and even Mexico.
Once the water level dips below the lines that run to the other areas, Las Vegas will be king of the southwest. Their water authority are the only ones who actually have a plan in place.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:38 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,879,756 times
I will be 124 then, can't wait to see what a mess these cities will be, lol.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:50 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,395,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
Vegas rights to the last of the water in the lake
I guess I'm not seeing the positive here

Old 12-16-2014, 03:10 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,279,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
I guess I'm not seeing the positive here
I'm saying once it goes below a certain level, only Las Vegas will have supply to Lake Mead... And Las Vegas only uses a very small amount - roughly 2%... So we will easily be able to sustain while everyone else's turds have hit the ceiling fans.

Old 12-16-2014, 04:38 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,750,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
The answer is: We simply cannot predict future migrations, due to economy, war, immigration, natural disasters, climate differences, etc. Do you think 50 years ago in 1964, with the North humming along the way it was, that people would mass-migrate south and west to what were considered at the time quite backwards/backwater areas? It depends, as throughout the history of this country, on jobs. In 50 years, if the jobs are in Alaska, that's where the migration is happening. Who would have predicted even a few years ago that North Dakota, friggin' North Dakota(!!), would be the fastest-growing state in the entire country?

Jobs.
Good points. I would also add new technology and innovations to the list of factors that determine which direction the migration patterns will follow. For example, if it hadn't been for the advent of air-conditioning, the Deep South and the desert Southwest would be far less populated today. Probably still considered "backwards and backwater".

A/C played a massive role in the development of major cities like Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Phoenix, Miami, Austin, San Antonio, Charlotte, Las Vegas, and Tampa. Much of L.A.'s inland suburbs can attribute their growth to A/C as well. This cannot be overstated.

If some new form of technology were to become par for the course in providing fresh water on a mass scale (ie. Desalinization) that doesn't deplete local resources that are in extremely limited supply, then the Western U.S. (specifically the desert areas) could see a massive new boom.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:09 PM

199 posts, read 202,632 times
No place of America will be completely abandoned although some areas may thin out. I don't think we can accurately predict what will happen in 50 years, because who knows what will happen? Looking at population trends, you can't predict the events of the future.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:35 PM

2,202 posts, read 1,424,799 times
In tree huts?

Old 02-16-2015, 12:56 PM

40 posts, read 25,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
I doubt it.

Bright, talented youth will always flock to the coastal states because that's where they'll have the greatest propensity to not only utilize, but maximize their education, skills, and talents. The East and West Coasts are and will continue to be bastions of intellectualism, humanism, and culture. The world-renowned higher educational institutions, prohibitively expensive COL's, and economies with a strong tertiary sector orientation of most Northeastern and West Coast states plus a few Midwestern states will continue to primarily attract students and early careerists, from within and "flyover" states alike, for the foreseeable future -- I don't see that ever changing.

The "less popular" states in the Midwest and especially the South will still serve a purpose well into the future, too. The retirees, uneducated/unskilled workers, and "homegrown riffraff" from the more expensive coastal states will flee to low-tax, low-cost states with largely undiversified economies and legislators/tax-bases that have little concern with investing in big business, public education, and public transportation such as Arizona, Florida, and Tennessee to name a few. In the US, these states are where the bulk of manufacturing and low-wage service sector jobs will be found because these states offer low-wage, low-skill workers a better shot at the "American Dream" than states like California, New York, or Washington. However, in lots of those low-cost, low-tax states, most individuals will have limited opportunity with regard to career advancement or quality higher education, but at least you can buy a 3-bed/2-bath 3,000-sqft. home for $149,000.

That's my prediction.
Intelligent people may come to despise the American Midwest as much as the South (except parts of Florida, Virginia, North Carolina, and Texas)

Will the Religious Right still be influential fifty years from now? It can implode.

The economic Right has tried to turn the Midwest into a political extension of the South with cheap labor, lax regulation of business, and low taxes on the rich (but the non-rich will pay high consumption taxes to subsidize 'job creation'. The Right has heavily pushed Right to Work (for much less if you still have work, lest you be fired) laws in Wisconsin, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio -- and now Illinois. It wants First World productivity on Third World wages... and may get them. Education will be gutted, infrastructure will be privatized, and state governments could degenerate into thuggery. Of course the projection of political trends based upon recent activity beyond the immediate future is always suspect.

There will be comparative oases of liberalism in Flyover Country from Pittsburgh to Denver -- but those will be cities (where there will be huge concentrations of blue-collar workers who need real pay to live where their toil is valuable) and some resort areas where open-mindedness matters more than does raw intelligence.

Rural America is becoming a nightmare fast due to an epidemic of meth, but meth itself is a symptom of other pathologies as was the case in the ghettos in which King Heroin became a menace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or