U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 11:54 AM

56,538 posts, read 80,847,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I think of neighborhoods such as Ladera Heights, View Park and Baldwin Hills in LA, Shaker Heights in Cleveland, parts of Prince George's County in Maryland/DC, parts of the Atlanta suburbs/exurbs, parts of Westchester and Long Island in New York, possibly Montclair in New Jersey.

When it comes to Philadelphia, there are tiny parts of Mt. Airy and even Chestnut Hill I would say fit the criteria. Problem is, they are located inside the city of Philadelphia, which makes it not a livable option, as the schools, for instance, except for Masterman and Central in terms of high schools, are unacceptable and the city itself is so dysfunctional it's not worth the hassle.

Willingboro used to fit the criteria as late as 20 years ago, but no more. I think the same thing has happened to a lesser extent to Cheltenham.
Schools would be an issue in many of those other communities, to a degree or entirely, unfortunately. Some areas that you mentioned would be fine in most/all facets like parts of Baldwin and Wheatley Heights on Long Island, areas of PG County outside of the Beltway, Montclair and parts of West Orange in NJ and I believe parts of Southfield in Birmingham SD in metro Detroit, among some others.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-13-2015 at 12:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Schools would be an issue in many of those other communities, to a degree or entirely, unfortunately. Some areas that you mentioned would be fine in most/all facets like parts of Baldwin and Wheatley Heights on Long Island, areas of PG County outside of the Beltway, Montclair and parts of West Orange in NJ and I believe parts of Southfield in Birmingham SD in metro Detroit, among some others.
Cheltenham is actually a pretty good school district and 31% of the residents in the district are Black, with areas that fit the criteria. It has the 12th highest percentage in that regard in the state of Pennsylvania. So, it is the best bet in the Philly area.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:59 PM

24,757 posts, read 33,954,615 times
Quote:
Cheltenham is actually a pretty good school district and 31% of the residents in the district are Black, with areas that fit the criteria. It has the 12th highest percentage in that regard in the state of Pennsylvania. So, it is the best bet in the Philly area.
Sounds that way. I do have friends who live there.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Sounds that way. I do have friends who live there.
There is a census block group in the very good Abington SD that comes close, with a median HH income of $101,000(slightly under $130,000 for Black residents) that is 36% Black. There are probably some others like this or maybe even pluralistically more or predominately Black in the area.

Areas of Piscataway in Central Jersey has census block groups that are pluralistically Black and the schools are very good as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-13-2015 at 08:28 PM..

Old 01-13-2015, 08:45 PM

24,757 posts, read 33,954,615 times
Quote:
There is a census block group in the very good Abington SD that comes close, with a median HH income of $101,000(slightly under $130,000 for Black residents) that is 36% Black. There are probably some others like this or maybe even pluralistically more or predominately Black in the area.

Areas of Piscataway in Central Jersey has census block groups that are pluralistically Black and the schools are very good as well.
Yes, I actually have been to Piscataway as well. That's not a bad area either. I also like parts of Franklin Twp and other parts of Somerset County, but the schools are only above average.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Yes, I actually have been to Piscataway as well. That's not a bad area either. I also like parts of Franklin Twp and other parts of Somerset County, but the schools are only above average.
Yeah, Piscataway is nice and I think what helps is that the Rutgers main campus, as well as a lot of Pharmaceutical companies are in the area. So, you get a nice balance of people in that area.

Springfield Township is a very good SD that has some areas with above average Black percentages(20-25%) near NW Philly and Cheltenham that fits all but the mostly Black criteria.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:15 AM

There are also some census block groups near HBCU's Lincoln University and Cheyney University that may work. Lincoln University is in the Oxford Area SD, which is above average and Cheyney University is in the West Chester Area SD, which is a top SD in the state.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:10 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,493,661 times
Southfield is a commercial and business center for the metropolitan Detroit area, with Southfield's 27,000,000 square feet (2,508,400 m2) of office space, second in the Detroit metro area to Detroit's central business district of 33,251,00 square feet (3,089,000 square metres). Several internationally recognized corporations have major offices and headquarters in Southfield, including the North American headquarters of Huf Hülsbeck and Fürst, Denso, Peterson Spring, Federal-Mogul, Lear, R.L. Polk & Co., International Automotive Components, Stefanini, Inc., Guardian Alarm, and Online Trading Academy. Today, more than 100 Fortune 500 companies have offices in Southfield.

As of the censusof 2010, there were 71,739 people, 31,778 households, and 18,178 families residing in the city. The population density was 2,730.8 inhabitants per square mile (1,054.4/km2). There were 35,986 housing units at an average density of 1,369.9 per square mile (528.9/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 70.3% African American, 24.9% White, 0.2% Native American, 1.7% Asian, 0.4% from other races, and 2.4% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.3% of the population.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:17 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,748,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Because Whites are the majority. There's literally no place in America where you can't find white people and white neighborhoods. It's much different the other way around. That's the privilege of being white.
What a completely false and ignorant statement. You live in Michigan, there are several cities in your own state where that statement is nowhere close to being true. Detroit being the most obvious example....82.7% black, 10.6% white. Flint being the other, 62% black. Tell us again how whites are the majority though

Old 01-15-2015, 04:51 AM

3,511 posts, read 2,969,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
What a completely false and ignorant statement. You live in Michigan, there are several cities in your own state where that statement is nowhere close to being true. Detroit being the most obvious example....82.7% black, 10.6% white. Flint being the other, 62% black. Tell us again how whites are the majority though
You misinterpreted what he said. He didn't say whites are always the majority, just that you can find them everywhere. Even Detroit still has a white population, small as it may be. The same isn't true for minorities. I'm Dominican. Please tell me of South Dakota's thriving Dominican population... See? Not the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or