U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2015, 07:20 AM

87 posts, read 68,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkitalian1993 View Post
Southeast queens? if you're talking about Hollis. I will tell you that is not a nice neighborhood. It's not a wasteland but it isn't somewhere you'd walk around at night. It's safe compared to Morrisania or East NY, but not compared to Bay Ridge. The rest of the areas I think you're talking about are Caribbean neighborhoods, which are about as similar to black neighborhoods as Munich is to Paris...same color skin nothing more. You still couldn't find one white person who would wanna live there regardless of safety, whereas I could find a lot black people that would love to live in Park Slope. Also, PG county is nasty and dangerous, and so is most of inner city Atlanta.

The point I was trying to make however, and made is if I ask for a black area you will give me polite and factual information, if I ask for a white area, you'll call me a bigot
I dont think they meant Hollis or Jamaica, more like Rosedale, Cambria Heights, St. Albans, Laurelton, Springfield Gardens. All of these are majority black neighborhoods and they are well-maintained middle clase hamlets on the outskirts of Queens.

There are alot of majority black neighborhoods that white people move into all the time. Have you not heard of something called gentrification? Travel uptown sometime and you would be surprised at the large white minority living in traditional black neighborhoods. Whether this is a good thing or a bad thing is open to debate.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 07:29 AM

56,593 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
Southfield is a commercial and business center for the metropolitan Detroit area, with Southfield's 27,000,000 square feet (2,508,400 m2) of office space, second in the Detroit metro area to Detroit's central business district of 33,251,00 square feet (3,089,000 square metres). Several internationally recognized corporations have major offices and headquarters in Southfield, including the North American headquarters of Huf Hülsbeck and Fürst, Denso, Peterson Spring, Federal-Mogul, Lear, R.L. Polk & Co., International Automotive Components, Stefanini, Inc., Guardian Alarm, and Online Trading Academy. Today, more than 100 Fortune 500 companies have offices in Southfield.

As of the censusof 2010, there were 71,739 people, 31,778 households, and 18,178 families residing in the city. The population density was 2,730.8 inhabitants per square mile (1,054.4/km2). There were 35,986 housing units at an average density of 1,369.9 per square mile (528.9/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 70.3% African American, 24.9% White, 0.2% Native American, 1.7% Asian, 0.4% from other races, and 2.4% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.3% of the population.
An area of Southfield that would fit the predominately Black middle class neighborhood in a good school district criteria are areas north of Lathrup Village that are in the Birmingham City School District. Birmingham City is arguably the best SD in Michigan.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-15-2015 at 07:39 AM..

Old 01-15-2015, 12:24 PM

A sleeper in regards to the middle class mostly Black neighborhood in a good school district criteria may be Institute WV, which has a median HH income around the national figure. It is next to HBCU WV State and the nearest schools from K-12 are some of the better schools in the state, including the HS with the second highest percentage of Black students in WV(South Charleston High). You may have to consider environmental factors though

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-15-2015 at 01:02 PM..

Old 01-15-2015, 02:32 PM

Parts of Milton MA around Blue hill Avenue also fit the criteria in term of demographics and good schools.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:23 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,749,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
You misinterpreted what he said. He didn't say whites are always the majority, just that you can find them everywhere. Even Detroit still has a white population, small as it may be. The same isn't true for minorities. I'm Dominican. Please tell me of South Dakota's thriving Dominican population... See? Not the same.
Dominicans are considered Hispanic/Latino which are found in every state as far as I know. Many states have large numbers of Hispanics too. If you are going to start breaking it down like that, then you have to breakdown what is considered "white". Russian? German? French? Please tell me of Mississippi's thriving French population. Works both ways doesn't it?

Old 01-16-2015, 04:41 AM

3,512 posts, read 2,971,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Dominicans are considered Hispanic/Latino which are found in every state as far as I know. Many states have large numbers of Hispanics too. If you are going to start breaking it down like that, then you have to breakdown what is considered "white". Russian? German? French? Please tell me of Mississippi's thriving French population. Works both ways doesn't it?
No, it doesn't work both ways. Listen, I don't want to get into racial politics, as that should be reserved for the Politics forum, but whites in America, excluding "ethnic" whites (aka white people fresh from overseas) and Orthodox Jews, have a unified racial identity, for the most part. Sure, there are cultural variances (i.e. Italian from New Jersey vs German from Minnesota), but white racial identity for the most part is monolithic. I didn't make them, but there are "rules" as to who qualifies as "white", with Italians, Germans, Irish, English, Swedes, etc. and people of those heritages being considered "white". You know a white person when you see one. America as a country was built on race (the one-drop rule, internment camps, slavery, etc), and is still obsessed with it, to a degree greater than most other countries. Things are much better today than they've ever been, but we are not a color blind society--to say so goes against human nature. There's "white" music and "black" music, and "Asian" food, etc. Furthermore, "whiteness" is culturally something that can theoretically be gained (i.e. Italians, Irish), so it's not just skin color (though obviously that's the determining factor--I highly doubt Haitians will ever assimilate into "whiteness").

As far as your Latino breakdown, certain Latinos are found in different states, with Mexicans being the dominant Latino group nationwide. Mexicans and Dominicans are not the same, culturally or racially, and I advise you to never suggest otherwise. Dominicans are not the same as Cubans, Cubans are not Puerto Ricans, etc, etc. There is no Dominican community of note in South Dakota. I'd wager your best shot of even seeing a Dominican in SD would be around the Air Force base, honestly. The 2.7% Latino population that even exists is most likely largely Mexican. Do you see how uninviting a state like SD then would be to, say, a Dominican from NYC? "Whites" live in SD, in large numbers; "whites" also live in NYC, in large numbers. "Whites" even live in significant numbers in Detroit, and if you really want to know where they live in Michigan, check out the 'burbs. Dominicans, meanwhile, really only have specific communities in NYC, NY, NJ, PA, RI, MA and FL to gravitate to if they want to be around other Dominicans in any decent numbers. Clearly, it's not the same, and I think this was the original point made. "Whites" can move anywhere in the country (even Mississippi) and, at least racially, not feel isolated. Culturally, an Italian from NJ might feel out of place in MS, or a Frenchman from LA in SD, but racially, no.

Old 01-18-2015, 02:10 AM

3,512 posts, read 2,971,553 times
Bump

Old 01-18-2015, 08:25 AM

The southern end of the Valhalla Union Free school district in Westchester County NY is a very good school district with some predominately Black middle class neighborhoods.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:18 AM

23 posts, read 28,497 times
try the Caribbean or Central America.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:23 AM

1,712 posts, read 1,942,456 times
Here's an old post of NY area communities that I think the OP would find helpful. I placed a star "*" next to the MAJORITY black areas below. All of these still have decent sized black populations however, not all are MAJORITY black.

The ones highlighted in blue are in the City of New York. The ones not highlighted are on Long Island (except for Hillcrest).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post

MHI=Median Household Income

$90k and above:
South Valley Stream Black MHI: $147k
Baldwin Harbor Black MHI: $126k
South Hempstead Black MHI: $123k
Valley Stream Village Black MHI: $113k
East Massapequa Black MHI:$108k
Baldwin Black MHI: $103k
*Hillcrest Black MHI: $101k (Rockland County)
*Lakeview Black MHI: $101k
Westbury Black MHI: $100k
Sag Harbor Black MHI: $100k
West Babylon [Belmont Estates] Black MHI: $97k
*North Valley Stream Black MHI: $97k
*Elmont Black MHI: $96k
*Uniondale Black MHI: $93k

$50k-$90k:
*Wheatley Heights Black MHI: $86k
*Cambria Heights (11411): $83k
*Rosedale (11422): $83k

Greenlawn Black MHI: $83k
Nassau County Black MHI: $81k
Freeport Black MHI: $80k
Amityville Village Black MHI: $78k
*Laurelton/Springfield Gdns (11413): $77k
*North Amityville Black MHI: $74k
*Roosevelt Black MHI: $73k
North Bay Shore Black MHI: $73k
Brentwood Black MHI: $73k
Central Islip Black MHI: $73k
*St.Albans (11412): $70k
*Gordon Heights Black MHI: $70k
Suffolk County Black MHI: $69k
Deer Park Black MHI: $69k
North Bellport Black MHI: $66k
*Flatlands: $64k
*Canarsie (11236): $62k
Bay Shore Black MHI: $61k
Queens Black MHI: $59k
*Rochdale (11434): $57k
*Wyandanch Black MHI: $54k
*Hempstead Black MHI: $54k

UNDER $50k:
Huntington Station Black MHI: $47k
*East Flatbush MHI: $47k
Glen Cove Black MHI: $45k
*Flatbush MHI: $44k
Inwood Black MHI: $44k
New York State Black MHI: $42k
Brooklyn Black MHI: $41k
*Bedford-Stuyvesant MHI: $38k
*Far Rockaway MHI (11691): $38k
*Crown Heights: $37k
Bronx Black MHI: $37k
National Black MHI: $36k
Manhattan Black MHI: $33k
*East New York: $33k
*Brownsville (11212): $31k
*Coney Island (11224): $26k

New York Median Black Household Income City Rank Based on ACS 2008-2012 data*
Queens County, NY Income and Careers
Kings County, NY Income and Careers
http://www.city-data.com/zips/11411.html
http://www.usa.com/nassau-county-ny-...usehold-Income

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 01-18-2015 at 10:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or