U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 10:06 AM

7,437 posts, read 5,941,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
caribny you and I both know that is an exception here. What he says still stands besides the few and they are very view ethnic white group neighborhoods, almost everyone else who is white don't care at all if the are speaking to a man of German, Irish, Italian, Swedish, British ethnicity. The way they speak is determined by were their located and not their ethnicity at all, while Dominicans, El Salvadorans and Argentinians even look completely different as a large percent of Dominicans are of mixed race etc. I have never in my life heard an American tell their kid they are only allowed to marry or they should marry other German Americans. I have heard plenty of times of Mexicans saying they will only date other Mexicans, same with Filipinos, same with Nigerians about other Africans in America. Even when you say that whites are a minority your wrong their is not a single metropolitan area over 2 million in the U.S were whites aren't either the biggest minority or the majority of the population. The only exception out of 20+ cities was Los Angeles were whites were the 2nd biggest group in LA after Hispanics and even then grouping all Hispanics is illogical (I am assuming Mexicans would still be the largest Group). Besides LA the only other ones were Miami were White Hispanic barely outnumbered whites. Also Both San Diego and San Francisco were borderline Hispanic plurality. With no cities were whites weren't the second or the first biggest group and with whites in America being basically a uniform culture except for the few ethnic neighborhoods (Even Dearborn is 40% white and 40% Arab), the point stands whites are the dominant culture and except in Los Angeles where Mexicans dominate (large plurality) know other culture dominates more than white Americans.

I live in NYC where we have Irish neighborhoods, Jewish neighborhoods and Italian neighborhoods. And we are talking about groups which arrived in this country between the 1860s and the 1920s. There is still a definite ethnic feel in the North East. Even after many generations of living in the USA these ethnic sentiments still prevail, and yes don't tell any Jewish mother that their only son is going to marry some Irish girl.

There is no singular "white" culture in NYC. WASPs from Westchester have no more in common with the Jews and Italians of Long Island than they do with African Americans. In fact if people are able to put aside the race issue the Jews/Italians of LI might get on better with their black neighbors than they will with some WASP. I have been in environments where I have seen conflicts arise, just out of misunderstanding, and not real animosity.

So I don't now what you are talking about.

NYC has no dominant culture. It has a series of cultures, both between and WITHIN the ethno-racial groups.

So whereas many parts of the US might have monolithic "white" cultures, and this largely because there was one or two white foundation ethnic groups, this doesn't apply every where.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
caribny you and I both know that is an exception here. What he says still stands besides the few and they are very view ethnic white group neighborhoods, almost everyone else who is white don't care at all if the are speaking to a man of German, Irish, Italian, Swedish, British ethnicity. The way they speak is determined by were their located and not their ethnicity at all, while Dominicans, El Salvadorans and Argentinians even look completely different as a large percent of Dominicans are of mixed race etc. I have never in my life heard an American tell their kid they are only allowed to marry or they should marry other German Americans. I have heard plenty of times of Mexicans saying they will only date other Mexicans, same with Filipinos, same with Nigerians about other Africans in America. Even when you say that whites are a minority your wrong their is not a single metropolitan area over 2 million in the U.S were whites aren't either the biggest minority or the majority of the population. The only exception out of 20+ cities was Los Angeles were whites were the 2nd biggest group in LA after Hispanics and even then grouping all Hispanics is illogical (I am assuming Mexicans would still be the largest Group). Besides LA the only other ones were Miami were White Hispanic barely outnumbered whites. Also Both San Diego and San Francisco were borderline Hispanic plurality. With no cities were whites weren't the second or the first biggest group and with whites in America being basically a uniform culture except for the few ethnic neighborhoods (Even Dearborn is 40% white and 40% Arab), the point stands whites are the dominant culture and except in Los Angeles where Mexicans dominate (large plurality) know other culture dominates more than white Americans.

Don't understand your point. Dominicans have no more in common with an El Salvadoran than a Nigerian has with a Somali. The mere fact that the USA decides to put the first into the Hispanic category and the second into the African category is meaningless. This apart from the fact that these are recent immigrant groups, therefore still retaining their culture and identities from their homelands.

In the northeast ethnic identity still remains very powerful, especially among working class whites. I can point to a map in NYC and tell you which white ethnic group lives there. Jewish parents are very determined that their kids marry a Jew.

My point is that there is no singular "white" culture in the USA. What it is depends on the history of the region. And yes I have been often amused at the conflicts between "ethnic" whites (in NYC usually Italians, Jews, and sometimes Irish) and the WASPs (those with ancient English, German and/or Dutch ancestries). And yet these groups have been living in the USA for generations. I just cannot imagine a WASP from Westchester being happy if his only daughter brings home Guido, Frankle, or Moses to be their son in law.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
caribny you and I both know that is an exception here. .

I was being sarcastic. No white American will feel at home among Arabs, unless it is those who arrived over 100 years ago, and are Christians, so not obviously "Arab".

So if a white person of European origin cannot fit in with "whites" of Middle Eastern origin, why will a Dominican (with an Afro Euro ancestry and cultural back ground) fit in with a Salvadoran (with an Amerindo Euro ancestry and cultural back ground)? That is like suggesting that Nigerians will fit in with Indians merely because the both speak English and manifest residual impacts of the common British colonial experience.

BTW come here to cities like Boston, Philly and NYC and you can see definite ethnic identities and ethnic stereotypes WITHIN the white population. Jeff from Westchester will be most upset if his daughter brings home Guido from Long Island, even if both come from business backgrounds. That noisy Italian wedding will be too much for the WASPs. Make note of the movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding".

Old 11-11-2015, 07:04 PM

3,508 posts, read 1,707,066 times
Like I said I know their are ethnic groups that have specific cultures and neighborhoods but go to most whites and ask them if they care if their marrying someone with a German last name, except for an ethnic neighborhood not a single white person from the South to the West to the Midwest, etc. would bat an eyelash. Their is a dominant white culture outside of the ethnic neighborhoods in New York, (I can't speak on Philly and Boston) but in the suburban areas which make up upwards of 40% of were the population in the NYC metro lives, their is an obvious monolithic not just "white" but American culture. These people don't speak with an Irish, German etc. accent they speak with a regular general "American" voice. I know what you mean but the main point is as a white person you can find a neighborhood that fits you in most metro's without really trying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or