U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2014, 01:44 AM

15 posts, read 24,907 times

Advertisements

I see people on this forum drilling white people for wanting to live in white neighborhoods, but are there that many primarily black neighborhoods that are safe? Like very low crime walk around at 3am safe? There's definitely some but it's the outlier IMO, but I can think of many primarily or overwhelmingly white neighborhoods (urban and suburban) that are safe communties...the only black neighborhood in NYC I would call safe is Canarsie and it's not African American but mostly Haitians and Jamaicans and other caribeans, and it's not even that safe just liveable.

The unsafe factor is due to history and poverty and whatever but you can not expect one white dude/family to be brave pioneers and put their safety on the line. It isn't THEIR fault that it's like that.

Most white Americans aren't racists. I find Hispanic culture awesome and the women...awesome too. Black music is my favorite kind of music by far. I admire MLK and think the KKK are idiots, but ask a black dude living in a primarily black neighborhood of NY like the South Bronx or even the nicer parts of the south side of Chicago if he would move to a "white neighborhood" even a kinda crappy lower class one he would probably say yes, if anything for the schools if he had kids.

If the govt told us to segregate that's bad, but if we choose to live around the familiar that's fine. We should not ALL blend in too one tannish brown polyglot culture. There are many distinct cultures that are worth preserving including mainstream white culture and "ethnic" white culture like Russians and Italians the same as Cuban and PR and Mexican culture are preserved separately. You get your culture from where you are from, and that's the most comfortable..you shouldn't have to feel like an expat in your own country. Yes there should be one "American culture" that is english speaking and values democracy freedom and so forth, but in our homes and neighborhoods we should preserve our cultures, whether it be Hmong or WASP or African Anerican or Guyanese or Italian or Peruvian..sometimes preserving that takes a degree of self segregation....people only b*tch and moan when people of european descent do it though.

But answer my question, what are some safe upper middle class black or latino cities or neighborhoods?

Last edited by Bkitalian1993; 12-13-2014 at 01:53 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 02:49 AM

4,264 posts, read 6,344,366 times
The question has been asked and answered many times before on C-D

Decent/Middle Class Black neighborhoods and areas in cities known for high crime

Wealthy Hispanic & Black areas

http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...-american.html

But the short answer is that safe, black neighborhoods can be found in or near most major cities, including big parts of Atlanta, Houston, and Tampa, part of southeast Queens in NYC, parts of Prince Georges County outside of DC, and some parts of the San Francisco Bay Area, parts of Detroit, some of the neighborhoods in and near Chicago, some in LA, and on and on and on. What many middle-class black people want, IMO, isn't necessarily a solidly black neighborhood, but one with all the regular and necessary middle-class attributes, plus enough black people that they can feel comfortable and enough to support some of the traditional things found in all-black neighborhoods, i.e., the churches, barbershops, beauty parlors, grocery stores and restaurants with traditional soul food, beauty supply stores etc etc. That could be in a neighborhood that's 100% black--but doesn't necessarily have to to be.

I'd assume that middle-class Latinos of any specific nationality would similarly seek out such neighborhoods.

Last edited by citylove101; 12-13-2014 at 03:06 AM..

Old 12-13-2014, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post

[url]http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-vs-city/1504495-decent-middle-class-black-neighborhoods-areas.html[/url]

[url]http://www.city-data.com/forum/los-angeles/1746949-wealthy-hispanic-black-areas.html[/url]

[url]http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-vs-city/911827-whic-city-has-best-african-american.html[/url]

But the short answer is that safe, black neighborhoods can be found in or near most major cities, including big parts of Atlanta, Houston, and Tampa, part of southeast Queens in NYC, parts of Prince Georges County outside of DC, and some parts of the San Francisco Bay Area, parts of Detroit, some of the neighborhoods in and near Chicago, some in LA, and on and on and on. What many middle-class black people want, IMO, isn't necessarily a solidly black neighborhood, but one with all the regular and necessary middle-class attributes, plus enough black people that they can feel comfortable and enough to support some of the traditional things found in all-black neighborhoods, i.e., the churches, barbershops, beauty parlors, grocery stores and restaurants with traditional soul food, beauty supply stores etc etc. That could be in a neighborhood that's 100% black--but doesn't necessarily have to to be.

I'd assume that middle-class Latinos of any specific nationality would similarly seek out such neighborhoods.
But as we have seen in the past, what usually happens to this day is that if "ethnic minorities" (in quotes because although blacks are like 15% and Hispanics another 15% they dominate a lot of cities) move into nice middle class neighborhoods and build "black barber shops and soul food restaurants" the other people sell because even if the new coming inhabitants are decent middle class people, the places you see "black barber shops and soul food restaurants" aren't usually nice places. So what happens is properties devalue and it becomes the hood, rinse repeat.

The middle class assimilated Latinos (outside of CA usually PR or South Americans who ARE white) usually move to white areas and act as white as possible..my neighbors were a 2nd Gen Hispanic family (the only way I knew is because their last name was Latino) who were def middle class, their kids were named Mark and Brianna and they didn't speak, at least to the point where the kids knew less Spanish than me (went to school with them). Every Spanish neighborhood I've been in was loud and dirty with business like pawn an western union and little cafeterias that pander to low income people. Miami has exceptions probably, but the rich Hispanics in Miami are no less white than an Italian speaker.

Southeast queens? if you're talking about Hollis. I will tell you that is not a nice neighborhood. It's not a wasteland but it isn't somewhere you'd walk around at night. It's safe compared to Morrisania or East NY, but not compared to Bay Ridge. The rest of the areas I think you're talking about are Caribbean neighborhoods, which are about as similar to black neighborhoods as Munich is to Paris...same color skin nothing more. You still couldn't find one white person who would wanna live there regardless of safety, whereas I could find a lot black people that would love to live in Park Slope. Also, PG county is nasty and dangerous, and so is most of inner city Atlanta.

The point I was trying to make however, and made is if I ask for a black area you will give me polite and factual information, if I ask for a white area, you'll call me a bigot

Old 12-13-2014, 04:37 AM

65 posts, read 77,159 times
"The point I was trying to make however, and made is if I ask for a black (don't forget hispanic) area you will give me polite and factual information, if I ask for a white area, you'll call me a bigot"

Infinite reps!!!

Old 12-13-2014, 10:03 AM

56,562 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Not necessarily and you can see the looking for a double standard a mile away. Whites can find what they are looking for in that regard in many places, to the point such a question is hardly asked or isn't viewed as being as necessary. It isn't a tit for tat thing, to be honest.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:12 AM

56,562 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post

Decent/Middle Class Black neighborhoods and areas in cities known for high crime

Wealthy Hispanic & Black areas

http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...-american.html

This......If it happens to be a mostly Black neighborhood, that's fine/great, but it isn't the be all, end all.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:23 AM

4,571 posts, read 7,031,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkitalian1993 View Post

The point I was trying to make however, and made is if I ask for a black area you will give me polite and factual information, if I ask for a white area, you'll call me a bigot
Because Whites are the majority. There's literally no place in America where you can't find white people and white neighborhoods. It's much different the other way around. That's the privilege of being white.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Because Whites are the majority. There's literally no place in America where you can't find white people and white neighborhoods. It's much different the other way around. That's the privilege of being white.

White people may have a slim national majority (although accounting for undocumented immigrants of Asian and Latin American descent it is probably more like a plurality) but in most major cities outside of Seattle and Portland white people are the minority. In major US cities, non-Hispanic whites are usually the minority: Chicago is 31.7%, NYC is 33%, LA is 28.7%, Atlanta is 37.1%, Dallas is 28.8%, Houston is 25.6%, Miami is 11.9%, DC is 38.5%, Boston 47%, Philadelphia 36.9%.

This means that any white area is those cities is a minority area, we aren't the majority.

I can think of a couple of places with no white neighborhoods...like Detroit or Miami.

It isn't a bad thing to want to be around people like you, it just means you like feeling like you blend in on the street that you live in. On my block in this very Asian area I call home, I am not "Mikey down the block", I'm just the white guy that lives in Mr. Wong's basement apartment.

Just because of some supposed thing called white privilege which I have nothing to do with as my family immigrated here in there 1920's, never owned slaves, never lived in/supported Jim Crow states, I've never been involved a lynching etc. doesn't mean that mine and my peoples needs are less valid than those that were previously disadvantaged. There is nothing wrong with wanting to live in a white neighborhood if youre white.

Old 12-13-2014, 12:42 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,031,553 times
Quote:
White people may have a slim national majority (although accounting for undocumented immigrants of Asian and Latin American descent it is probably more like a plurality) but in most major cities outside of Seattle and Portland white people are the minority. In major US cities, non-Hispanic whites are usually the minority: Chicago is 31.7%, NYC is 33%, LA is 28.7%, Atlanta is 37.1%, Dallas is 28.8%, Houston is 25.6%, Miami is 11.9%, DC is 38.5%, Boston 47%, Philadelphia 36.9%.

This means that any white area is those cities is a minority area, we aren't the majority.

I can think of a couple of places with no white neighborhoods...like Detroit or Miami.
Cities makeup a geographical minority of the United States.

More than 50% of residents in the US live in a suburb of a major city.

At least 72% of US residents are white. Most whites live in suburbs. Which isn't at all by accident. Most whites choose to live in suburban areas to get away from cities. They have the option of living in the city, and most choose not to, but if they did they would easily become the majority in many cities as they were in the past.

Quote:
It isn't a bad thing to want to be around people like you, it just means you like feeling like you blend in on the street that you live in. On my block in this very Asian area I call home, I am not "Mikey down the block", I'm just the white guy that lives in Mr. Wong's basement apartment.
That is harder to accomplish for someone who is non-white than it is for someone who is white, especially based on economic factors. There are less middle class minorities than there are middle class whites, so 9 times out of 10, middle class minorities have to move in to predominately white areas if they are looking for a lifestyle that a middle class resident would want. In fact, for a non-white person, the more wealthy they are, the less likely they are to find neighborhoods of their own race. It is not equivalent the other way around.

Quote:

Just because of some supposed thing called white privilege which I have nothing to do with as my family immigrated here in there 1920's, never owned slaves, never lived in/supported Jim Crow states, I've never been involved a lynching etc. doesn't mean that mine and my peoples needs are less valid than those that were previously disadvantaged. There is nothing wrong with wanting to live in a white neighborhood if youre white.
The definition of privilege is what you are given without effort. The fact that your family immigrated here upon their own free will (regardless of reason) is already a privilege that most African Americans (who are most often descendants of slaves) never had. Even if you are not racist or support racism yourself, you have already benefited from racist institutions and practices.

By wanting to live in a 'white' neighborhood, you're essentially wanting something that is already freely accessible to you with minimal effort. Because of historical segregation, whites today can easily find the neighborhood they want with whites already living there. That's incredibly harder for a non-white.

Old 12-13-2014, 01:05 PM

5,287 posts, read 3,505,244 times
Quote:
Also, PG county is nasty and dangerous, and so is most of inner city Atlanta.
This is a blatant lie. Spread misinformation much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or