U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 07:57 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,836,225 times

Advertisements

Baton Rouge, Louisiana. You've got LSU right there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 08:06 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,100,268 times
But Baton Rouge is really conservative...maybe the OP will like that, but young people tend not to.

And while I was in college in New Orleans, a lot of people there were from Baton Rouge; they all said they were glad they left because it was boring, and has more extreme weather than NOLA (hotter summers, colder winters).

Old 12-13-2014, 10:47 PM

47 posts, read 43,578 times
I think I'm spoiled with low rent from Utah.
Browsed newspaper earlier and there were studios for 320, 1BR for 420.
So seeing it being double other places is kinda sad to me. But, I want somewhere better. I don't like it here.
I was renting out with friends a 3BR for 690.
230 a month is amazing :P

Old 12-13-2014, 11:14 PM

Default Not sure where I want to move

So, I'm sorry because I know there are lots of threads about where is a good place to move to.

I'm more so looking to find out what kind of place I want to move to, then I can ask what cities fit those criteria.

Background:
I'm from Logan, Utah. The religious scene is way too big for me. I'm an atheist, but I don't care to preach my beliefs, nor have beliefs pushed on me.
The amount of LDS(While not all active) is in the 70%s or something crazy. Again, this doesn't mean they're all active, or live the LDS lifestyle. But it is still too much for me.

I'm a liberal. Tattoos/piercings in the workplace, why not! 420? Never partook, but I don't care if others do.
I know this is a bit biased, but I feel like the 'liberal' cities would be the type to sleep around and not care about relationships. I am not opposed to this, but I'd prefer a higher percentile that is actually looking for a long term partner.

I'm not very active (Something I'm trying to change) so somewhere with outdoor activities would be great(Especially water sports). I grew up on a trout farm so I'm a natural swimmer and love water.
I've always thought I'd like the boating scene, but never had many chances to even be in a boat.

So, I'm not looking for you to tell me where I should move, I'm simply trying to get help narrowing down criteria for a location.

What questions have I forgotten to ask myself?

Criteria so far:
More on the liberal side
Plenty of people in their 20s (I'm 24 male)
Not extremely expensive. - This one amazes me how pricey places are. Where I'm from rent is dirt cheap in comparison. (What is a realistic and doable amount with only high school education?)
Good weather.
(for me this means:
Not extremely hot summers
Not extremely cold winters
(If I had it my way it would be T-shirt weather 70% of the year, and light jacket the rest of the time. and I love rain, so rainy cities are not a downside(with the exception that they're usually colder during winters)))
Easy to meet new people. I suppose this means an active community.

Again, what else am I forgetting to ask myself? And what things are generally worth compromising on over others?

Also: lack of natural disasters is a big plus.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:04 AM

6,316 posts, read 6,975,343 times
Big cities Portland or maybe Seattle? Assuming it's not extremely expensive to you.

Or college towns. Rent is usually cheap and there are plenty of young people that are easy to meet.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:45 AM

I would've suggested New Orleans or Gainesville (Florida) if you didn't mind hot summers.

Portland might be your best bet though.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:53 AM

Default 4-way city battle

Portland
Seattle
Nashville
Charlotte

These are the 4 primary places I am considering.
Things to compare are:
Price - for studio/1 bedroom apartments
Traffic - (I have a car - so don't plan on relying on public transportation)
Biking friendly? - recreational mainly
Active Community? - How friendly are people? How easy is it to make friends?
Other outdoor activites? - I really wouldn't mind water sports of any kind, so this is a plus.
Educational Opportunities? - I have almost 2 years of college. Unsure of major, so for now I've stopped going, but plan to continue someday.
Job Market? - This is one I almost forgot to mention, but seeing as I NEED a job, it's a very important one. I don't have any particularly special workplace experience (call centers, production, and little restaurant experience)

I've already decided that all these I'd be fine with weather wise. I know there are differences, but again, they all fit my weather criteria.

I'm 24 Male. I don't want to live in the center of any of these, but suburbs instead.
If you were to pick your personal choice of best suburb area per city, what is it?

I appreciate all feedback, even if you only have experience in 1 of these areas.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:54 AM

Well, I appreciate the suggestions, but again I'm looking more for what criteria should I be looking for in a city?

What things should I be willing to compromise on when moving?
What have you regretted compromising on?
What wasn't so bad as you thought it might be?

Old 12-14-2014, 01:13 AM

I'd say that the weather is worth compromising, especially in the case of somewhere like New Orleans. It has just about everything else you want. Yes, summers are hot & soggy, and there are some winter days that are downright cold. But most of the year, the weather is pleasant. The city is a liberal hotspot in the South--how often do you come across that, besides I guess Houston (if you consider that the South) and Atlanta? There's a lot of young people in New Orleans, and it's certainly easy to meet people and make friends; the population is, in general, very friendly. There's also great food, outstanding nightlife, and historic charm. For nature, the beaches of the Gulf aren't too far away, and the wetlands are even closer (within the metro area). There's also Audubon and City Parks, the Fly, and Louis Armstrong Park. It's a very easy city to get around without using a car--buses and streetcar are easy to use, and it's really walkable. Great shopping downtown and on Magazine Street, and lots of festivals. Plus, the aquarium, a few museums, and Audubon Zoo. And while prices are rising, it's still rather affordable, and more jobs are coming to the city.

Old 12-14-2014, 01:13 AM

18,110 posts, read 22,978,628 times
I learned that I am unhappy if I compromise for weather - if the weather is too extreme for me to be comfortable going outside every day. And I don't want to have to go outside before 10 am, and be stuck in my apt the rest of the day because it's 110 degrees out, and won't cool off until 3 am. This was the case for me in Redding, CA, where I moved when I retired last year, because it was affordable.

I can tell you that I moved to Redding, CA and it was too hot for too long for me to do things outside, and that's very important to me. So, I moved to a small town on the coast, where it will be mild year-round. It will be cloudier here, and I compromised on my original thinking that sunshine was more important than mild temps. At least I can go out when it's cloudy and not be miserable because it's too hot.

I grew up in CA, and moved to the Pacific Northwest for about 18 years, and I also don't want to deal with snow and ice ever again. I don't like being trapped inside, and that weather traps me inside, too.

My favorite area is the SF Bay Area, but it's too expensive for me to retire there. But, I think I've found the compromise that will suit me now here in Crescent City. Mild temps year round, by the ocean and the redwoods. Yes, it rains a lot, it's cloudy a lot, but that doesn't keep me indoors.

For a young population, you need a college town. For a college town with mild year-round temps, that's not too expensive, I think you should check out Arcata, CA.

Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or