U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 03:54 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,751,049 times

Advertisements

Two different kinds of Southern. Arkansas is more rural-Southern, but North Carolina, outside of it's major cities, is much more old South, IMO.

To me, the Western-South states (Arkansas, Louisiana, and parts of Texas and Oklahoma) have a different vibe than Eastern-South states.

As to the question of which "feels" more Southern, I'd say neither. They're just different flavors of Southern. Historically, Arkansas was the "frontier" part of the South, and NC was the more established colonial South. There's still an echo of these differences between the two states today. NC has recently become more urbanized, with many more transplants than AR has, but that old Southern culture is still alive and well in NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 12:41 PM

62 posts, read 86,321 times
Arkansas hands down and in a good way.

Old 02-25-2019, 03:45 AM

54 posts, read 10,951 times
2019 here ... Confederate state dosent make ya southern lmao ya gotta be down south . Oh Playing football in the south is more relevant now days Sec sec .... Arkansas passes with flying colors .. I get on here to play games it seems not debatable west of Alabama

Old 02-25-2019, 08:45 AM

419 posts, read 127,957 times
I'd go with North Carolina, as I think of the southeast as the "south". Arkansas is definitely southern, but once you cross the Mississippi it's a different kind. Arkansas is not that far away from me, and the south feels more foreign than a place that close should. That's not any kind of empirical response, just the way I see it.

Old 02-25-2019, 02:39 PM

6,852 posts, read 6,186,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
I'd go with North Carolina, as I think of the southeast as the "south". Arkansas is definitely southern, but once you cross the Mississippi it's a different kind. Arkansas is not that far away from me, and the south feels more foreign than a place that close should. That's not any kind of empirical response, just the way I see it.
Western Arkansas mirrors the Appalachian south with the exception of some of the towns on the Arkansas River. Almost exclusively poor whites in the mountains excluding Washington/Benton Cos which are about as prosperous as 500K non resort population in the country.

But, eastern Arkansas in the delta is as southern as it gets if you consider Delta culture to be the most southern "brand" of southern culture. But that is certainly up for dispute.

Old 02-25-2019, 05:41 PM

425 posts, read 293,567 times
Arkansas doesnít feel very Southern to me at all. Itís hard to explain but the vibe is just different after you leave Tennessee on I-40.

North Carolina, even with all its growth and urbanization, still feels very much Southern to me. From Asheville to Wilmington, there is no doubt NC is Southern.

Arkansas is where the West, Midwest, and South blend. Plus the University of Arkansas was not always an SEC team. 😃

Old 02-25-2019, 11:39 PM

7,820 posts, read 12,324,125 times
If you look at the native culture, Arkansas is more like the Deep South (though certain parts resemble Appalachia) while North Carolina is definitely Upper South.

Arkansas has more native culture while NC's culture is more shaped by transplants and immigrants especially in the larger cities. For this reason I'd say Arkansas is more Southern.

Old 02-26-2019, 05:19 AM

4,403 posts, read 4,606,769 times
The answer is it depends on the city/region of each state. Because Arkansas has far fewer transplants (outside of NW Arkansas) it is the most Southern.

For all you people who think west of the Mississippi makes Ark less Southern. That's what I used to think. Then I spent a few days in Little Rock and that completely changed my mind...it was totally Southern! I loved it btw.

Last edited by Jay F; 02-26-2019 at 05:31 AM..

Old 02-26-2019, 05:25 AM

2,904 posts, read 2,012,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
The answer is it depends on the city. All of Arkansas feels very Southern except for NW Ark. In NC any place with tons of yankee transplants such as the Research Triangle feels less Southern while rural NC is very Southern. Overall, mostly due to transplants in NC, Arkansas is the more southern of the two.
Yeah, it's gotten to the point that in certain parts of NC (particularly around Raleigh- Cary just outside Raleigh especially, Durham, and Charlotte), if a native North Carolinian with a southern accent speaks, someone looks at them like "You aren't from around here are you?"

But you can go 50 miles from that point and it's like you've been immersed in a Dukes of Hazard show.

Old 02-26-2019, 06:07 AM

613 posts, read 506,510 times
they are both 100% southern
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.