U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 10:37 AM

34,377 posts, read 41,471,780 times

Advertisements

Was going to suggest Tampa until i read your weather qualification, plan-B=Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 11:40 AM

173 posts, read 197,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbanks78 View Post
Activities: I am a big football fan so a city with an NFL franchise or a city near a city with an NFL franchise would be ideal. I am also a soccer fan and casual baseball fan. I am not too big on the NBA but the NHL is a sport I keep tabs on infrequently. Aside from sports, I love music and a city with a good music scene (i.e. lots of famous bands come from the city, lots of famous bands tour in the city, etc.) is essential as I love attending concerts. Finally, I also like dining out and my favorite foods are Americana (e.g. burgers, steaks, hot dogs, etc.) and Mexican (e.g. chilli, nachos, tacos, burritos, etc.).

Crime: I am looking for a city that is largely safe and doesn't have a reputation for crime like Detroit or Baltimore. I can deal with cities that have a few, small pockets of crime but cities that have large expanses of crime problems are not what I am looking for.

Cost of Living: I am not mega-rich nor am I poor. I would say I earn just above average wage. Rents must be manageable. For example, New York is too expensive for me but I could afford Chicago.

Economy: A good economy is always nice but I work for a multinational so I can transfer branch to any big city.

Location: Not bothered, as long as the city itself has lots to do meaning I wouldn't need to travel to other nearby cities for fun.

People: I like people who are, on the whole, educated, politically-inclined, liberal, musical, and friendly. I am not into cliquey areas nor do I like the clubbing scene.

Politics: Liberal. I am a Democrat and couldn't live somewhere overtly Republican.

Religion: I am agnositc and wouldn't want to live in the Bible Belt.

Transport: I can drive but would like the option of good public transport. Amtrak is a must.

Vibe: Cool, hip, happening, safe and friendly.

Weather: I don't care, as long as there is no humid heat all year round. I can deal with snow and long overcast days.

Suggest a city for me to live!
Minneapolis! They have the Vikings and it is a fairly liberal city with low crime and good pay.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:18 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,123,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Hartford, CT

Just ranked 4th best place for young people.
Ha.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:24 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,915,971 times
Denver or Seattle would prob fit you best.maybe Vegas or Philly as well.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:40 PM

6,560 posts, read 10,270,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Houston, Texas?
Nope. Fails the OP's weather requirement big time, and it's also in the Bible Belt.

I'll recommend Denver with one caveat - the only Amtrak route we have is the California Zephyr. Now, we have light rail, but rail is not entrenched here like it is in the northeast. You can't get on a train in Denver and take it to the Springs, for example.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:07 PM

1,239 posts, read 1,708,646 times
Boston

Old 12-16-2014, 03:11 PM

693 posts, read 384,412 times
You didn't make the precision but i guess you want to stay in USA? What about Canada, Australia or UK?

Old 12-16-2014, 03:17 PM

2,478 posts, read 4,868,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Nope. Fails the OP's weather requirement big time, and it's also in the Bible Belt.

I'll recommend Denver with one caveat - the only Amtrak route we have is the California Zephyr. Now, we have light rail, but rail is not entrenched here like it is in the northeast. You can't get on a train in Denver and take it to the Springs, for example.
It's funny. Anytime there is a thread like this, "I need _____ and _____." There is always one or two that either don't read it or complete ignore the conditions and parameters set forth by the OP. Ask someone for a a city that never gets cold with an MLB team and you'll have someone blurt out something ridiculous like Antarctica.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:49 PM

2,577 posts, read 2,593,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Ha.
What? Hartford Metro is the next hot scene. We have everything the OP is looking for. If there is something they can't find it sure will be close by in either Boston/NYC or Providence.

Take a look at Hartford you will not be disappointed.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:57 AM

13,236 posts, read 24,424,164 times
Another vote for Denver.

I'll note that the rail is continually expanding and will have two more lines in operation in a little over a year.

You can also pick up the Southwest Chief in Trinidad, CO, about 3 hours to the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or