U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 10:17 AM

8,016 posts, read 9,485,783 times

Advertisements

Big democratic cities usually offer more opportunities, make more money and have more diversity than republican suburbs and counties. A lot of those republicans places don't even pay well either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 03:44 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,139,658 times
Salt Lake Metro - Republican

Salt Lake City proper - Democrat

Good lord, SLC had Rocky Anderson (D) as mayor for 2 terms. He is just slightly left of Bill De blasio and lead anti-Bush demonstrations during the Iraq war. And the current mayor is a democrat. Salt Lake hasn't elected a republican mayor since 1974. 40 years to you and me

Old 12-17-2014, 06:20 PM

9,382 posts, read 9,543,826 times
Not liberal but Democratic, many cities have Union power pushing the Dems (Particularly Midwest/NorthEast)
Also Vermont, Western MA, Western NH,, and Maine are full of Rural Democrats.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:08 AM

3,751 posts, read 3,719,704 times
I don't think there's anywhere in the US that's overwhelmingly liberal.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:30 AM

5,694 posts, read 8,762,354 times
Quote:
there are vanishingly few Republican structurally urban neighborhoods anywhere in the country. In the modern era, people who self-identify as conservative tend to display very strong preferences towards open space,
Upper East side? Is the Rittenhouse square area in Philly Republican?

I don't know if they are the majority but I know of many republican loft dwellers in downtown Knoxville. I assume it's because Lofts = expensive = money = a tendency to vote republican.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:26 AM

12,423 posts, read 11,929,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Upper East side? Is the Rittenhouse square area in Philly Republican?

I don't know if they are the majority but I know of many republican loft dwellers in downtown Knoxville. I assume it's because Lofts = expensive = money = a tendency to vote republican.
Rittenhouse Square certainly isn't. The Upper West Side is more conservative than the rest of Manhattan (barring the Financial District and some areas around Midtown), but not Republican overall. I think Obama got around 55%-65% of the vote in most precincts, and didn't lose a single one anywhere in Manhattan.

New York's Republican enclaves are mostly Orthodox Jewish areas (Borough Park, South Williamsburg, Kew Gardens Hills, etc.) Then there are very lightly Republican "white ethnic" areas in southern Brooklyn, Northeast Queens, Bronx (Woodlawn), and of course most of Staten Island.

It probably is true that considering the white population only, the voting white population in the Outer Boroughs (excepting the closest parts of Brooklyn to Manhattan) is probably Republican-leaning as a whole. Areas like Bay Ridge used to be pretty solidly Republican, for example, but with recent Asian immigration are now narrowly Democratic. Of course, NYC Republicans on a state level were historically socially liberal and pro-union, so being a Republican in New York meant something quite different than elsewhere in the country.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:04 PM

107 posts, read 118,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Bunch of misleading statements in this thread.
So your are free to correct, the beauty of discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Republicans champion conservatism, but with a few exceptions elected Democrats do not champion "liberalism." They tend to tack to the center (both rhetorically and policy wise) in an effort to woo moderates much more than Republicans do.
You've slightly misunderstood me. I was not referring to elected Democrats, but more to modern Democratic Party in overall.

And I think every elected Democrat is liberal, when you refer to the widest definition, just like I am in the topic title.

Remember, that just like conservatism is not only social conservatism, but also fiscal one, and many others, liberalism is not only gay rights, etc.

Lieralism has a ocean wide definition, same like conservatism, with social liberalism, progerssivism, social rights movement, gay lobby, statism, federal regulation over economy, universal healthcare and so on, and on, and on.

They are all, more or less, shades of liberalism.

In overall, very interesting comment. Esp. for me, who likes very much Indianapolis.

Last edited by Yenisey; 12-18-2014 at 12:27 PM..

Old 12-18-2014, 12:50 PM

715 posts, read 287,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yenisey View Post
I want to ask if you know any major city that leans toward Republican Party in federal elections or party enrollment?

All areas that have Republican or conservative majority are suburban or rural, not a single one urban.

For example New York City, as the biggest city in the nation, just look at it:

New York City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ever does urban means strongly leaning toward Democratic Party and staunch liberal?

If you wipe out proper cities from the U.S. it would be one party state. The same thing when wiping off suburban and rural areas.

Much to be said about it and it is very interesting.

It is unavoidable to cities to be far more liberal than other parts of a nation?

Accroding to this:
United States House of Representatives elections, 2014 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is.

It is even true when it comes to popular image of parts of certain states.

Upstate New York considered far more conservative than New York City.
Northern Virginia considered far more liberal, federal supportive and view as Democratic stronghold in this state.
Northern Carolina, more Democrat because of Research Triangle booming cities.
Georgia staunch conservative, except Atlanta proper and some of counties near it.
Ihio, Columbus and Cleveland Democratic Strongholds, while Cincinatti suburban neighbourhoods home area of John Boehner.
Memphis and Nashville proper in Tennessee, stains on conservative clothed state.
Denver in Colorado.
Kansas City and St. Louis in Missouri.
Indianapolis in Indiana, stands proud but alone, apart from than one county in Chicago area, which is just the opposite of what most voters in Illinois wishes.
California with liberal Los Angeles and conservative Orange County.
Texas, just look at recent governorship chellange result by county, but 2010 can be even more informative:

Texas gubernatorial election, 2010 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is it the universal law? Will we never see even one, firmly conservative big city? Apart from Salt Lake City, Utah which is very specific, and not that much conservative, and Colorado Spring, Colorado, which is more big town, than small city.
The short answer is yes.

Urbanites have always been more liberal, open minded, less xenophobic and less homophobic than their country bumpkins ever since they invented cities. Always has been, always will be.

Youíll find that even cities in our more backward areas like the south will be more liberal than their surrounding rural areas.

I believe itís due to the fact that our cities are where our universities and other centers of higher learning are located along with our libraries and museums. Also because urbanites have to live in such close proximity to one another they tend to be more accepting of different cultures and customs.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:25 PM

107 posts, read 118,328 times
sd-bound.

I've never seen a more biased in a negative eay post on this forum.

I give you an advice, my enlightened, only right way, big city friend.

Backward? Better not say this in the presence of some moonshine-enjoyed good ol' dweller of some hilly rural areas of peaceful Upper South.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:26 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,835,163 times
No. Bigger cities in general side with the Democratic party in elections, but that does not mean they are liberal. That is farther to the left. I would wager a lot of it has to do with Unions.

In rural areas, there are not really any/many unions, so they tend to vote republican.

There is a lot of variation within the parties themselves. Some democrats are centered like Bill Clinton, while others are bat-crap crazy commies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or